English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you do when you just can't beat a certain part of a game?
Keep trying, and trying, and trying until I succeed 3 10.00%
Look at a solution or something to find a hint about what should I do 12 40.00%
Use some kind of a cheat to get around it 2 6.67%
Give up, give it a rest, and maybe comeback later 13 43.33%
I've never ever had any problems with any game 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01 June 2008, 15:36   #1
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Question What do you do when you just can't beat a certain part of a game?

Yet another classic poll, burrowed from GameFaqs...

I usually give it a rest, let the rage abandon my body and try some other time if the game is really worth it

Last edited by Shoonay; 01 June 2008 at 15:45.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 June 2008, 17:53   #2
Graham Humphrey

Depends - if it's a game I like I'll keep trying until I succeed, only looking for a tip as a last resort. If it's a game I'm not too fussed about I'll just give up.
Old 01 June 2008, 17:59   #3
TCD

For adventures : When I play for some hours and can't progress, I will look up a hint. But normally I'll do the 'combine everything' trick which works well most of the time.
For action games and all the rest: If it's too hard I cheat if I like the game or give up.
Old 01 June 2008, 19:10   #4
mailman
Zone Friend

Basically I give it a rest. Unless it is an adventure game. In this case, most often I look for solution.
Old 01 June 2008, 23:48   #5
laffer
Zone Friend

I either stop playing for a little while or give up completely. I've used hints in adventure games a few times in the past and I always end up regretting it, so I never do that anymore. It's better for me just to stop playing the game forever than to use a walkthrough as it will bother me every time I see the game later on.

EDIT - unless it's a shitty game I'm only playing to record a longplay.. in those cases, I look up hints whenever I need them.
Old 02 June 2008, 01:50   #6
frikilokooo

My nightmares are Fire and Ice,Lethal Weapon,McDonald Land,Cannon Fodder,ATR...I have not completed them for diverse reasons:very hard,very long,no enough passwords...what I do is to leave them alone for a while.I like those games because maintain the interest to play again.If they are adventures point click or RPG I usually use the guide once or twice times,no more,because is very painful and I hate the game for that reason.

Last edited by frikilokooo; 02 June 2008 at 15:22.
Old 02 June 2008, 03:23   #7
oneshotdead

I voted:

"Give up, give it a rest, and maybe comeback later"

This is reasonable, methinks. And you can solve problems in your sleep, or even just by taking "time-out" (go outside, go for a walk, get some fresh air.)

But as a shit of a kid, it used to be:

"Keep trying, and trying, and trying until I succeed" - if I DIDN'T succeed, I got cranky and eventually the gates of hell would open and that was just bad for everyone, including the family dog...

I felt heavy guilt if I ever cheated in a game, never understanding how people could use trainers or even turn down difficulty, and still live with themselves.

These days, I don't mind using trainers on retrogames, since I either defeated them or came very close to doing so back when Amiga had the supremacy...
Old 02 June 2008, 04:44   #8
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Me too. I mean, what you voted and about the cheating.

Sometimes, if I really want to see what's going to happen next, I'll look for a walkthrough but mostly I just leave it for a while.

When I return to the game I usually find that I can pass the difficult spot after a few tries.
Like I somehow got better at the game while not playing it.
Old 02 June 2008, 09:34   #9
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Send a message via MSN to MazinKaesar Send a message via Yahoo to MazinKaesar
Usually I try to beat a game all alone, but sometimes I look for hints around. Anyway I play from the beginning some games that I don't like so much with the faqs at hand... :P
Old 02 June 2008, 10:44   #10
blade002
Zone Friend

The only Adventure game i ever used a hint for was Operation Stealth when i was about 98% of the way through the game. for action or platform games, i would only EVER use a cheat if i knew the game was definately impossible, such as SOTB ( actually most Psygnosis games! ).. other than that, i would bust my arse to get through them, because i could never ever really see the point of playing a game if you were just going to cheat!?..

No challenge in cheating, but yeah, some games would certainly need a good rest, otherwise there would be pieces of joystick all over the room..

And for those who "do" cheat and feel all proud, then all i have to say is that, you know all you are doing is bullshitting yourself and there is no integrity in that.

NO CHEATS ALL THE WAY FOR ME ( only on the "odd" occasion )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02 June 2008, 11:07   #11
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

Cheating! Yesss! I'm a Cheater!
Old 02 June 2008, 11:21   #12
Marcuz
Wurk???

the poll is a bit off, because it depends on the game and on the game genre: i run to a cheat for shoot 'em up and fps, sps, tps... and i want a bit of hint only for rpg and adventures. even if, sometimes, if the game appeals me only for its graphics, i don't want to waste time on it, then i follow fully a solution.

basically i could click on all the options of the poll BUT the last one ever
Old 02 June 2008, 11:43   #13
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOL2001 View Post
Cheating! Yesss! I'm a Cheater!
INFIDEL !!!! INFIDEL !!!!!!!!!
Old 02 June 2008, 14:46   #14
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

@blade002:

@marco pedrana: I completely agree with you !
Old 02 June 2008, 14:57   #15
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I know marco, I've wanted to make this a multipoll at first, but I've figured it's time to be a real man and make a one simple decision, not 5 at a time.
Let's say, it's how you generally do, not with a specific game/genre.
For example, It's kinda impossible for Final Fantasy to play further when they got stuck since they hate it, while those who love the series will just keep on trying.
I'm sure you understand.
Old 02 June 2008, 15:10   #16
keropi

I usually try to figure it out, but if it takes long I just look on the net for a FAQ or something...
Old 02 June 2008, 15:18   #17
RedskullDC
Digital Corruption

Never could finish the last race in super-league on Stunt-Car-Racer.

Give it a try every now and again, pleasant way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Red
Old 02 June 2008, 16:01   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

times have changed for me. Back in the Amiga days I could bite myself into a game until the floppy disk would burn up; today... I have less patience. I want a challenge, but not the kind of insanely difficult games that used to haunt my poor Amiga.
Old 02 June 2008, 17:05   #19
Marcuz
Wurk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOL2001 View Post
@blade002:

@marco pedrana: I completely agree with you !
bloody cheaters of the world unite to take over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
I
Let's say, it's how you generally do, not with a specific game/genre.
For example, It's kinda impossible for Final Fantasy to play further when they got stuck since they hate it, while those who love the series will just keep on trying.
don't worry mate, i knew what you meant, in fact, roughly, i don't have much patience for too hard games these days, and i would say that if a game isn't worth the hassle, i would recur to cheat.
for instance, i haven't cheat in two recent games i considered gems: Rayman Ravid Rabbits and (so far) Assassin's Creed: consider that since my amiga days, this is a very rare occurrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
times have changed for me. Back in the Amiga days I could bite myself into a game until the floppy disk would burn up; today... I have less patience. I want a challenge, but not the kind of insanely difficult games that used to haunt my poor Amiga.
yaeh i hear you, and while our youger age was for sure more driven and dedicate in solve such difficults, games were usually more interesting than they are now.
Old 02 June 2008, 17:16   #20
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
bloody cheaters of the world unite to take over!
I see a new EAB's Social Group's birth is near...
AdSense AdSense