English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12 August 2009, 04:03   #21
PeterK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hangover
Posts: 1,668
Sorry guys, but I can't read this any longer... is this discussion funny or sad, I don't know
....why don't you ask the author of a program when nobody knows the answer to your questions. I've seen a lot of discussions like this in many forums, but never got an email from anybody in the last 2 years so I decided to discontinue this project.

Ok, now some facts:

Icon.library v45.1 is the last official version from OS 3.9 as you all know.
Icon.library v45.2 is a fix for some memory leaks in v45.1, no other fixes.
Icon.library v45.4 is a patched v45.1 from Mike and belongs together with his WB.library v45.131 to the inofficial OS 3.9 Update on Aminet.
Icon.library v45.5 is a special version of v45.4 which was modified in order to work with 68000 CPUs and WB/Kickstart 3.1, but it was never public and there are no additional new features or fixes in comparison to v45.4 !!

Icon.library v45.4 has the largest number of fixes and is the only version which works hand in hand with the workbench.library v45.131 until now.
IconBefast is a patch for the color mapping and can be added to each of these libraries. The IconBeFast patches with the same subrevision number are in all cases identical hunks and the rest of the icon.library code remains always unchanged.

Two years ago I started to rewrite the complete icon.library because I wanted to add support for PNG and DualPNG icons in a small and very fast library. But after a few months I finally gave up, long before any new feature could be integrated into the old library. But, if you like, you can play with this early alpha version. It has not been testet very much, it's just a bit shorter and with a little luck, maybe it's even faster (or has at least some new bugs

Update: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=227

Last edited by PeterK; 17 February 2010 at 03:27.
PeterK is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 August 2009, 04:08   #22
NovaCoder
Registered User
NovaCoder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne/Australia
Posts: 3,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Sorry guys, but I can't read this any longer... is this discussion funny or sad, I don't know
....why don't you ask the author of a program when nobody knows the answer to your questions. I've seen a lot of discussions like this in many forums, but never got an email from anybody in the last 2 years so I decided to discontinue this project.

Ok, now some facts:

Icon.library v45.1 is the last official version from OS 3.9 as you all know.
Icon.library v45.2 is a fix for some memory leaks in v45.1, no other fixes.
Icon.library v45.4 is a patched v45.1 from Mike and belongs together with his WB.library v45.131 to the inofficial OS 3.9 Update on Aminet.
Icon.library v45.5 is a special version of v45.4 which was modified in order to work with 68000 CPUs and WB/Kickstart 3.1, but it was never public and there are no additional new features or fixes in comparison to v45.4 !!

Icon.library v45.4 has the largest number of fixes and is the only version which works hand in hand with the workbench.library v45.131 until now.
IconBefast is a patch for the color mapping and can be added to each of these libraries. The IconBeFast patches with the same subrevision number are in all cases identical hunks and the rest of the icon.library code remains always unchanged.

Two years ago I started to rewrite the complete icon.library because I wanted to add support for PNG and DualPNG icons in a small and very fast library. But after a few months I finally gave up, long before any new feature could be integrated into the old library. But, if you like, you can play with this early alpha version. It has not been testet very much, it's just a bit shorter and with a little luck, maybe it's even faster (or has at least some new bugs
Thanks for the update Peter
NovaCoder is offline  
Old 12 August 2009, 04:52   #23
PeterK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hangover
Posts: 1,668
Concerning the ability to use the icon.library from ROM I really cannot find any good reason why somebody wants to do that. Why should I waste so much of the very limited space of the Kickstart ROM ? What for

v45.4.6 is not adapted for a real Kickstart ReadOnlyMemory, because it has its own data hunk for the colormap cache, but nevertheless it might work with a "writable ROM" as emulated by some Kickstart image loaders.
You may have a better chance with the v46.4a icon.library. Who knows? It has no extra hunks and thus should not need any write access to the ROM. And it's already a lot smaller than the original icon.library even though only one third of the code has been rewritten yet.

Last edited by PeterK; 12 August 2009 at 05:56.
PeterK is offline  
Old 12 August 2009, 22:10   #24
Doobrey
Hamster tamer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Out in the woods
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Doobrey, any chance of an A4000T scsi version. Cause I tried the A4000 scsi.device and the A4000T ignored it (as its IDE?) and loaded the original 40.20 scsi.device.

Well, the system sees the 44.2 and uses it, but HDToolBox only wants to use 40.20. So im not sure exactly which is being used. I had an NCR scsi.device and n
Normal scsi.device 43.45 and both saw the same.
Sorry FOL, I'm officially confused.
Is there a problem with the 44.2 scsi.device on the A4000T's IDE, or are you using the SCSI interface?

There's not much point in a SCSI version for the A4000T/A3000, since most of the fixes+optimising are in the IDE task.

Chris Hodges' TLSFMem archive( http://www.platon42.de/files/util/TLSFMem.lha) has a patch for the IORequest size bug that applies to them though.
Doobrey is offline  
Old 12 August 2009, 22:15   #25
Doobrey
Hamster tamer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Out in the woods
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Icon.library v45.5 is a special version of v45.4 which was modified in order to work with 68000 CPUs and WB/Kickstart 3.1, but it was never public and there are no additional new features or fixes in comparison to v45.4 !!
Hi Peter,
Is this the 45.5 I did for Ratte's A1000, or did you do a version as well?

I know it's 2 years late, but thanks for your work on IconBeFast+TagLife. It makes a hell of a difference on my poor battered miggies.
Doobrey is offline  
Old 13 August 2009, 00:16   #26
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

FOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barry / UK
Age: 39
Posts: 5,568
Send a message via MSN to FOL Send a message via Skype™ to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobrey View Post
Sorry FOL, I'm officially confused.
Is there a problem with the 44.2 scsi.device on the A4000T's IDE, or are you using the SCSI interface?

There's not much point in a SCSI version for the A4000T/A3000, since most of the fixes+optimising are in the IDE task.

Chris Hodges' TLSFMem archive( http://www.platon42.de/files/util/TLSFMem.lha) has a patch for the IORequest size bug that applies to them though.
K, I understand now. Still getting used to all this module stuff.

The IDE on the A4000T refused to work, so Im using scsi and not IDE.

So scsi doesnt need any patches? its already fixed?

I stuffed TLSFMem into the deneb and it killed it. I had to remove it and it worked again.

Another question, is there a page or something with cyberstorm 060 updates, patches or fixes?
I spent over an hour searching and found nothing.

Last edited by FOL; 13 August 2009 at 21:46.
FOL is offline  
Old 13 August 2009, 00:37   #27
PeterK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hangover
Posts: 1,668
Hi Doobrey !!

> Is this the 45.5 I did for Ratte's A1000, or did you do a version as well?

Sorry, I'm a little confused now about who the author of v45.5 really is

But YES, the v45.5 which I'm talking about comes from A1k.org and Ratte was indeed playing with it.
It has a size of 44112 Bytes and a CRC 2F92328A.

Congratulations, if you are the author! I didn't know that
And please, make it public, available for everyone

And of course, many thanks for your excellent RomSplit and Remus tools
PeterK is offline  
Old 13 August 2009, 03:39   #28
gulliver
BoingBagged

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 39
Posts: 1,490
@PeterK

HI,
Is it possible to ask you for a TagLife Remus/Blizzkick patch?

Thanks for your work anyway!
gulliver is offline  
Old 15 August 2009, 05:42   #29
PeterK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hangover
Posts: 1,668
Hi gulliver,

sorry for the delay, but I'm still fighting against some nasty little hidden bugs in the utility.library with the TagLiFE routines and my motivation isn't that big, since generally I don't use the AmigaOS any more.

Last edited by PeterK; 15 August 2009 at 05:55.
PeterK is offline  
Old 05 November 2009, 20:50   #30
Ratte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Hi Doobrey !!

> Is this the 45.5 I did for Ratte's A1000, or did you do a version as well?

Sorry, I'm a little confused now about who the author of v45.5 really is
Sorry, Im a little bit late.
I havent seen this thread before.

There is something to clearify about 45.5 of icon.library.
Many people knew the A1000 booting a OS3.9-kick movie.

Mike did the icon45.4 where 45.5 is based on.

Doobrey made the hard work: made it romable and replaced to 020+ opcodes by 68000 compatible code.
I finally did the cosmetic changes with the OS3.1 conform icon-presettings.
Than we bumped it up to 45.5.

I never said that it is done by myself.
There are some old postings on a1k.org where you can read the history about os3.9 on A1000 and icon45.4 and how it came to 45.5.


@PeterK:
Doobreys work on 45.5:
http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=109

my hands on icon 45.5:
http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=184


(Now I understand, why Doobrey asked for a copy of our mails from 2006 regarding icon.lib ...)
On some pages on a1k.org the "Making of Kick3.9 - A1000" is written down.
Ratte is offline  
Old 05 November 2009, 23:07   #31
PeterK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hangover
Posts: 1,668
Hi Ratte,

thanks a lot for this clarification.

I always thought that you've written 45.5 although you didn't claim that anywhere. Good to know now that you have made icon.library 45.5 in teamwork with Doobrey. Unfortunately, the access to your links above is denied, even with my account, but I guess, I've already read that some years ago, and anyway, I've no doubts about your statement. But, may I ask again, could you and Doobrey make 45.5 open to the public as a patch, please? There are many people who are waiting for that. Thanks again!
PeterK is offline  
Old 05 November 2009, 23:55   #32
kolla
Registered User
kolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
When I try to go to those URLs I get "kolla, Sie haben keine Rechte, um auf diese Seite zuzugreifen."

Anyways, I'm pimping up my Minimig wiith various 3.9 stuff, and I'm interested in trying out newer icon.library as well. I have already esablished that the latest patches to workbench.library do not work on 68000, latest working (AFAIK) being 45.127.

Cheers!
kolla is offline  
Old 06 November 2009, 00:57   #33
Ratte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Hi Ratte,

thanks a lot for this clarification.

... Unfortunately, the access to your links above is denied, even with my account... But, may I ask again, could you and Doobrey make 45.5 open to the public as a patch, please?
1. can be changed ... (result of the loveletter from ainc)
2. lets play with scompare, but first i get in contact with doobrey
Ratte is offline  
Old 06 November 2009, 01:07   #34
PeterK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hangover
Posts: 1,668
That's the nice thing with scompare, you could even create a patch based on the diff of your 45.5 binaries and the GPL for example. That would make AINC really happy
PeterK is offline  
Old 06 November 2009, 01:52   #35
gulliver
BoingBagged

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 39
Posts: 1,490
I updated the Boing Bag #3 according to previous posts and new information. By the way, is it fine if i publish over here a link to MooVid 1.6 68k, which enhances/replaces Action in AmigaOS 3.9?
gulliver is offline  
Old 06 November 2009, 02:15   #36
PeterK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hangover
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
I updated the Boing Bag #3 according to previous posts and new information...
Icon.library 46.4a - Icon/Copy takes ICONCTRLA_SetGlobalMaxNameLength into account now, plus many fixes, no more memory leaks using Deficons tool etc. IconBeFast functionality. A fix for this is in ......
Thanks for this update, but I hope you've really verified that my alpha version works without obvious bugs, because I didn't get any feedback yet. It never made any problems on my WinUAE system, but I don't know how it behaves on real Amigas and with other hardware and software configurations.

Btw, I tried to assemble a complete new utility.library for you and I already have one that's working so far, but it's still not 100% rewritten from scratch to make it opensource and I guess putting the utility.library into the ROM could have the disadvantage that their routines are not executed out of FastMem or some equivalent fast memory areas anymore resulting in a performance loss compared to the TagLiFE patch. That makes no sence and would only waste some space in your ROM.
PeterK is offline  
Old 06 November 2009, 03:05   #37
gulliver
BoingBagged

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 39
Posts: 1,490
Thanks @PeterK, thank you for your work. Please keep on working the new utility.library.
I tested your icon.library, and it works pretty well until now, the only issue i found with it, is that it is incompatible with the Powericons patch (a1200+040+64MB). It would be cool if you finish with it, with goals you first had in mind PNG, dualPNG support!

PS: Anyway it will be good for new utility.library to be romable just in case!

Last edited by gulliver; 06 November 2009 at 03:17.
gulliver is offline  
Old 06 November 2009, 03:52   #38
PeterK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hangover
Posts: 1,668
Sorry, but at the moment I'm not using the AmigaOS (WinUAE) anymore, thus these libraries will problably never be finished. What exactly goes wrong with the PowerIcons patch on your system? It works here on my system. Don't try to use the PowerIcons patch at the same time together with AfA_OS. They don't like each other! And maybe you could try to use a standard Kickstart just to see if it works then. I hope you know that the PowerIcons patch should NOT be started from the WB-Startup drawer. RUN it from the startup-sequence, please. Try it in this order...
...
Wait 1
IPrefs
Run >NIL: PowerIcons SCROLLSPEEDUP TEXTMODE=1 ; GHOST=100
WbCtrl MNL=100 ; for the long filename support up to 100 chars
LoadWB DELAY
...

PS: Gulliver, please send me your email address and you could get my current utility.library.

Last edited by PeterK; 06 November 2009 at 05:49.
PeterK is offline  
Old 06 November 2009, 06:02   #39
gulliver
BoingBagged

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 39
Posts: 1,490
My fault, using AfA_OS

PM sent with my email address
gulliver is offline  
Old 06 November 2009, 11:14   #40
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits
cosmicfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: leek, Staffs, UK
Age: 50
Posts: 3,555
Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
kewl work guys
cosmicfrog is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boing Bag keitha1200 support.Apps 5 27 June 2012 21:40
Boing Bag 2 password? GreenMeanie support.Apps 37 02 April 2008 04:10
Boing Bag 2 for OS 3.9 ? Tony Landais request.Apps 1 06 January 2006 14:22
Boing Bag #2: here at last Minuous Amiga scene 2 22 March 2002 07:29
Boing Bag 2 Minuous Amiga scene 12 24 October 2001 08:52

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.31343 seconds with 12 queries