Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
It's allowed now, we managed to convince Bippy it was alright
You bought him a cake from Hampsons?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 August 2008, 11:27   #22
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

I have access to some very fast scanners (100ppm+) - however I would probably have to cut the spines (Unless I can hook our flatbed up - I just need to find a PC that the Adrenaline card works in)

PM me if you need anything scanning! (I only have limited time at the moment - I would have to do this kind of thing out of work hours)
Old 18 October 2008, 15:02   #23
OddbOd

It's a little disappointing that there doesn't seem to have been much in the way of contributions so far. But, rather than just whining about it I've actually made a start by uploading Introduction to the Amiga 500 to Magix' FTP in the hope that others are inspired to do the same.

Does anybody have a copy of the Workbench 3.0 User Guide? Dimlow uploaded a PDF version some time ago but major improvements could be made in terms of both file size and image quality.
Old 18 October 2008, 18:43   #24
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I agree will/must remember start uploading while doing the cucd isos

thank 4 crating the folder now i have some where to put them ......
Old 19 October 2008, 02:49   #25
redblade
Zone Friend

what's the site where all these books are being uploaded to?
Old 19 October 2008, 08:30   #26
OddbOd

Magix' FTP
Old 21 October 2008, 19:32   #27
Thalion
Amiga Collector

I have a lot of Books and Instruction Manuals and such. Currently i'm still scanning my game manuals so when i'm finished with that i will get to that. Concerning the books i'm still searching a method to get good scans without destroying the Book.
Old 24 October 2008, 03:28   #28
exoticaga

I thought before searching a static camera and good lighting. Scan and enlarge the photograph all to same size and detail.

This wiki pages details part of it.

But getting a book open without destroying it still remains the hardest part. If you can find a scanner that has no plastic edging to the machine. The scanning glass is the edge of the machine. Then positioning a book on the scanner glass edge and then scan. A perfect copy everytime and without hardly opening the book at all. I have never seen such a scanner, has one ever been made ? Have i just mentioned a good design ideaİ... Pay all royalties to me in triplicate
Old 24 October 2008, 05:00   #29
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Just curious, but why are scanned versions preferred over text? Text can be indexed and searched easily. A scanned version is massive and cannot. And who really reads these books online in that way? Books like Mapping the Amiga are perfect as text as you can lookup the bit you need, and the filesize for the entire book would be tiny!
Old 24 October 2008, 06:01   #30
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

I think what is important in here is the idea of creating some kind of place where we can store all documentation of relevant interest to amiga so anyone who wants some information knows where to find it. The format of that documentation is not so important as the information itself.
Old 24 October 2008, 07:23   #31
poohbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Just curious, but why are scanned versions preferred over text? Text can be indexed and searched easily. A scanned version is massive and cannot. And who really reads these books online in that way? Books like Mapping the Amiga are perfect as text as you can lookup the bit you need, and the filesize for the entire book would be tiny!
I prefer it for nostalgia's sake: the original covers, illustrations, and typesetting are part of the fun. I don't find an ASCII text file nearly as enjoyable to read, but I just read most of these books for fun and don't generally use a reference manual. Also, I like to know that I'm not missing something that hasn't been transcribed.

I see why you prefer text for navigation, but navigation can be combined with images of the original (if someone is willing to do it). File size is a fair point. I don't care about local disk space, but it certainly has an impact on the number of willing hosts.
Old 24 October 2008, 08:09   #32
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Just curious, but why are scanned versions preferred over text?
They're not but even page images are better than nothing. Properly OCR'd PDFs are not unreasonably large, they also retain the original layout/images and can be easily converted to plain text. Bear in mind that Minuous' original preference was for Amigaguide which is fair enough as there are readers for every major OS and conversion is trivial.
Old 24 October 2008, 13:43   #33
exoticaga

Layout and images for me are the most important. So if typed it in would still need to scan the images and correct for the layout, easier to scan and be done with it. Yes the text searching is a massive bonus, using the index if it has no errors is ok.

Most important and i have seen many badly scanned documents and books.

The need to have the whole page flat as possible and aligned for scanning, not easy everytime, without dark shadows.

Maybe someone works in a copy shop, do they have copiers now that don't require a book to be spread wide open for copying, or splines shredded ?
Old 24 October 2008, 17:02   #34
Thalion
Amiga Collector

I have another idea idea o get godd scans. One needs to by a second copy of the desired Book and that can be destroyed so one Original remains untouched and you hav good scand too.
Old 24 October 2008, 22:53   #35
Phiber
Hardware Freak

Send a message via MSN to Phiber
I've got a few Amiga Hardware Books in my bookshelf..

Actually I have one in my other hand while typing this..

Amiga Hardware Reference Manual in PDF-format anyone?

Although the 250+ odd pages plus appendices could take a while to scan...
Old 27 October 2008, 01:49   #36
exoticaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiber View Post
Although the 250+ odd pages plus appendices could take a while to scan...
But faster than typing it and proof reading, and then having to scan the images afterwards.
Old 27 October 2008, 12:59   #37
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

After all everybody talks about but nobody begins to make new books available in any format that is
Old 27 October 2008, 23:48   #38
Photon

When I have more time, I volunteer to scan the Asm-One manual. Unfortunately, PDF is so much easier to scan in a modern scanner - otherwise #?.guide.pp and .html sounds like better options.

One advantage of "image" formats is that (as mentioned) the original layout with tables, pictures etc are retained. Not only to "get" what is being explained (or what the explanatory text is referring to all the time! ) but also to savour the original flavour of times past...
Old 28 October 2008, 14:28   #39
crabfists

Last time I used OCR software I was impressed how well it keeps the original format of printed text. It's intelligent enough that it converts text to searchable text and places any images inline, retaining layout etc.

Think I used ABBYY and I remember being very impressed with it.
Old 28 October 2008, 20:47   #40
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

Devpac 3 Manual

Just noticed this thread.

I am currently working on the Devpac 3 manual. I have attached a taster

My printer at home won't allow me to make it A5, but the finished article will be pdf'd at work and the paper size will be correct.

It should be ready in a couple of weeks if all goes to plan...

Last edited by Jherek Carnelia; 09 April 2011 at 23:22.
AdSense AdSense