Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 24 May 2008, 09:21   #1
Macca
Zone Friend

SFS Problems

Hi,

I have a real amiga and used KG's guide to install SFS:

http://wiki.abime.net/amiga:killergo...winuae_realhdd

However I'm using a real Amiga - the hard-drive is a 30GB IDE one so it partitioned it to two 14GB ones. Once I then completed this and restarted it - it did not like the hard-drive one bit. Got the red flashing screen of death on restart.

Am I missing something, should the above link work or do I have to change it for a proper Amiga? Or is it just WinUAE only?

Thanks,

M.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 May 2008, 09:33   #2
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Doesn't the first partition have to be 4GB or smaller?

Or does using SFS eliminate this?

-EDIT- There's some useful stuff in this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...&highlight=4GB
Old 24 May 2008, 10:32   #3
Tumbleweed

I've just installed an 80 gig IDE drive in my A4000D.

Set the first partition to less than 4GB (I set mine to 1.5GB), and configure it to use fast file system (if you are running WB3.1 you need to patch it to use TD64 or NSD). I binned 3.1 and replaced it with OS3.9, which has NSD as standard.
Install WB on this small partition - make sure its bootable. Reboot.
When back in WB go back to HDToolbox and then partition the rest of the drive - but configure the partitions to use smart file system. Re-boot.
Format the SFS partitions using either sfsformat or the standard WB format command but make usre you use the quick option. That should be you.

Old 24 May 2008, 11:16   #4
Bloodwych

Some great advice from the people above - I also wrote a thread in the ClassicWB forum as a sticky at the top, as people using the packs kept asking the same questions:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32256

It's a real pain I know; really wish there was an was an easier way to get above 4GB in Workbench 3.0/1, as that's the only true stumbling block when deciding between it and later versions for most people.

I've just stuck under the 4GB limit on my A1200 - I find this is enough for all the games I have installed anyway. If you're willing to go through the steps in the above thread then it should work. I don't think IDEfix is free however.

An older version of SFS has support for up to 8GB drives built in using a direct mode. If you're willing to use an older version I can put this in the zone for you. Don't know why, but it was removed from later SFS versions making it hit the old 4GB limit again.
Old 24 May 2008, 11:20   #5
Macca
Zone Friend

I do have the IDEFix software so it's worth a look. God hours of pain coming up again I know it - lol

Thanks everyone!

M.
Old 24 May 2008, 13:13   #6
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
I do have the IDEFix software so it's worth a look. God hours of pain coming up again I know it - lol

Thanks everyone!

M.
I stuck a 40GB in my 4000D - it took me a little while to figure out how to get all of it in use but I got there eventually

I used the upgraded FFS off 3.9 (there's two version on the cd you need the newest version).

Now got six HDs on my desktop all of varying sizes.

Since then I've also done my towered 1200. I had to replace the version 3 chips with version 3.1 though before it would work.

No problems so far

Dave G
Old 24 May 2008, 13:25   #7
Macca
Zone Friend

I have 3.1 chips and o/s 3.5 but I wanted to use ClassicWB (as this has all the crap installed in a lovely layout).

Might have to take a look at the ClassicWB guide!

M.
Old 24 May 2008, 13:27   #8
Macca
Zone Friend

Hmm I wonder if I could upgrade over ClassicWB to 3.5 and see if it still works properly. Would this then allow me to upgrade the second partition to >4GB by default or would I need more crap?

M.
Old 24 May 2008, 13:35   #9
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
Hmm I wonder if I could upgrade over ClassicWB to 3.5 and see if it still works properly. Would this then allow me to upgrade the second partition to >4GB by default or would I need more crap?

M.
Before I upgraded my 1200 to 3.9 I did a similiar thing - I installed ClassicWB on my PC. Put it onto a card and copied it onto my 1200. It didn't work But then I installed 3.1 over the top of it and then it worked. Still had all the ClassicWB 'crap' (as you put it) but a fully working system.

Perhaps not the proper way of doing it but it worked for me

Dave G
Old 24 May 2008, 15:25   #10
Bloodwych

No reason why the built in install procedure won't work, unless the Workbench ADFs are not the same as the original ones.

Installing over the top is not advised - it will break many features. Copying over the files manually is a possibility by mounting a ClassicWB HDF and a OS3.5/3.9 one in WinUAE but it will take time and patience.

I am working on a OS3.9 pack, which can be downloaded via a pm request. I intend to make it OS3.5 compatible in the future too, but haven't had the time to finish it:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32239

Another option is the great AmigaSYS package, which has a flexible install procedure that uses all different versions of Workbench. Wish I had the time to do the same with my packs!

http://amigasys.extra.hu/

Perhaps that's better suited to your situation?
Old 24 May 2008, 17:03   #11
Macca
Zone Friend

Well what I decided to do was make do until you've sorted out the next packs. I much prefer ClassicWB to AmigaSys.

So I have 1 partition of 1gb and one 2gb which will do for now!

M.
Old 24 May 2008, 20:36   #12
Akira

Is there e any reason to make the boot/wb partition FFS?
I have formatted my CF card with 2 partitions in SFS and so far I have had no problems...
Old 24 May 2008, 20:43   #13
Bloodwych

Should be fine Akira - I've been running SFS on my two partitions for years without a problem. Can't think why the boot would need to be FFS, only that it has to reside in the first 4GB of the card/harddrive.
Old 25 May 2008, 15:56   #14
Akira

That's no problem since my card is 2GB total. I knew about this 4GB limit and just bought a smaller one. I don't need more anyway, 2GB is already too much.
AdSense AdSense