English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 April 2009, 13:01   #41
Sensi
Unregistered User

Something like this?

And the imports must be original I guess.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 April 2009, 13:13   #42
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Yes.

There is a good source of modchips out there though.

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/saturn/saturnhard.htm
Old 24 April 2009, 13:22   #43
Sensi
Unregistered User

Its cheap (plus shipping so its not so cheap but the prices are solid)
I bought SS model 1 and gonna get another one (and use one for swap disc trick, see what happens ) but I can buy there already chipped Saturn! With new controllers!
Thanks for the link Alex
Old 24 April 2009, 17:00   #44
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

The swap trick will run down your CD drive motor quite quickly if you do it too many times!

Yes the action replay can only play original games from all regions and you can also back up your save games, access cheats and use it as a ram cart for games that need the extra memory (mainly 2D fighters).

I got my cartridge from here: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...en-70-1b2.html

Don't forget that it is still possible to mod your MK1 Saturn if you are good with a soldering iron and can find a mod chip.... although it would be easier to mod a MK2 saturn and keep the MK1 in it's original condition
Old 24 April 2009, 17:28   #45
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
The swap trick will run down your CD drive motor quite quickly if you do it too many times!
I read its not big risk if you do the method that takes more time with model 1 (its little bit risky when using fast method) and its recommended to avoid any disk swapping with model 2. But I am not gonna treat it like a dead animal, of course
I will have 2 SS model I soon and I dont wanna buy originals so there is only choice for me And I wanna get modded Saturn too.

Quote:
Don't forget that it is still possible to mod your MK1 Saturn if you are good with a soldering iron and can find a mod chip.... although it would be easier to mod a MK2 saturn and keep the MK1 in it's original condition
I am not very good with soldering iron
Old 24 April 2009, 17:44   #46
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I thought that if you had a particular cartridge it stopped the motor?

Quote:
Original 20-pin modchips are solderless just like the later 21-pin one's. The only thing to wire up is Power & GND which (I agree are better soldered) you can just stuff the ATX power connector. But alas they are no longer produced.

I did have a bucket load of dual-mode 20 & 21-pin mod chips at one time... dunno what happened to 'em. I'll keep my eye open for them.

You can solder 21-pin saturn mod chips into a 20-pin Saturn if that is what you meant?

21-pin modchips are now like dog-poo... everywhere.

Last edited by alexh; 24 April 2009 at 17:52.
Old 24 April 2009, 18:27   #47
Sensi
Unregistered User

And another question, about imports: are these games in japanese and english or only in japanese? I have one preinstalled game in japanese on xbox HD I bought two weeks ago and playing this game (Flying Academy or somtething like that) is hell. HELL!
Old 24 April 2009, 18:56   #48
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Japanese imports are in Japanese, US games in English language. And you need the action replay only for original games. You can change the region in import backups with a tool.
Old 24 April 2009, 19:05   #49
Sensi
Unregistered User

Huh, in japanese, you play these games? It took five mins to me just to start that game on xbox
Old 24 April 2009, 19:09   #50
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I play no text intensive Japanese games. But there are tons of Japanese 2D action games like the Gradius or Salamander Deluxe packs. There you need no Japanese language skills.

http://segatasanshiro.110mb.com/Gradius_Deluxe_Pack.htm
Old 24 April 2009, 19:16   #51
Sensi
Unregistered User

Nice one
I am hoping my SS will be delivered soon.
Old 24 April 2009, 19:20   #52
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I want a mod-chipped console too. Are there cheaper solutions than console goods? 69+shipping is too much imho.
Old 24 April 2009, 19:22   #53
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I want a mod-chipped console too. Are there cheaper solutions than console goods? 69+shipping is too much imho.
Definitely not sintech shop
That stupid shipping

edit - they are with brand new controllers and all work is done

Last edited by Sensi; 24 April 2009 at 19:28.
Old 24 April 2009, 19:26   #54
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yeah, Sintech is ridiculous.
Old 25 April 2009, 02:12   #55
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

No not all Japanese imports use the Japanese language.... quite a few of them are in English and some are mixed Jap/English and then of course you do get some that are entirely in Japanese!

I mainly get Japanese fighters such as Vampire Hunter, KOF, Fatal Fury, Darkstalkers, Xmen Children of the Atom etc.... and these are all in English, The only Jap import game i have that is all Japanese is Saturn Bomberman but i have screenshots on my pc for the English menu's

@alexh.... I have not come across any cartridges for the Saturn apart from the action replay , ram cart and memory cart for saves but there maybe others? I have a cartridge for the PS1 that stops the CD so it can be swapped, it plugs into the parallel port and also has cheats on it.
Old 12 May 2009, 20:02   #56
Sensi
Unregistered User

Unhappy Help please

I have my SS model 1 (with oval buttons) and unfortunately its not modded. I had watched many videos and had read many articles about the swap trick and tried it today. With no luck But I guess (I am almost 100% sure) its not due to my unhandiness and heres the reason:
I own three original games, when I use swap trick with them (put game 1,let sega read the data, put game 2 for "copyright track" and then again game 1) I have no problems and all combinations (6) work fine, I am 100% succesful.
I assume that problem must be somewhere else.

When I do the swaptrick with burnt cds knowingly bad, the access light stops flashing or the SEGA logo on TV remains and nothing happen. When I do the swaptrick correctly, it says "Disc unsuitable for the system."
The games I am trying the swaptrick with are:
NHL '98, I downloaded the image here (I guess its one and the same game).
Its mds/mdf format and I used alcohol 120 for making a copy.
Another game is Radiant Silvergun, I got the image here.
Its classic cue format and I used Nero (10x speed).

I know this "disc unsuitable" failure message appears when trying to play imports but not if the swaptrick is used.

Any ideas why these games dont work?

edit - same result with mk 2 (UK) from Zophars page

edit 2- it doesnt mean i do the swaps..t well when it works with original games, its MUCH easier to do with originals when both CDs have the protective strips EDIT 3- but the lens read the protective strip only after first swap, it must be something with the isos
someone who doesnt need chip for SS model1? this si real pain in youknowwhere

Last edited by Sensi; 12 May 2009 at 21:52.
Old 12 May 2009, 23:20   #57
Sensi
Unregistered User

Fuck YEAH !!!

The swap trick is the easiest thing in the world,it works !!!

All the versions I downloaded and burned are US, not PAL and they need to be modified (with two or three mouse clicks).

If you own SS model 1, dont be afraid to try this swaptrick, its piece of cake, it works and I am gonna play my first burnt SS game
NHL '98 (what else) !!!
Old 13 May 2009, 18:12   #58
Sensi
Unregistered User

Question Games dont work

I downloaded some games and burned them on cds and I have serious problem, most of them dont work

It happened for the frist time yesterday with MK2 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (both from zophars rom page) so I thought games from this site dont work properly. But it happened again with Athlete Kings from coolrom site and it cant be accident because the games suck in the same way:

MK 2 - when loading, after the probe logo, access light blinks once and the cd starts rotating very fast and nothing happens.
Ult MK3 - after the probe logo and mans laugh cd stops rotating and nothing happens

Today I burnt Athlete Kings, after first event, 100m, it asks me (i guess) for something (my name, initials ?) but i cant see anything, there is some graphic glitch. I push the button three times and start another event, long jump, after that that game crasehes just like MK games, black screen, cd rotating, end.

I wasted ten cds on these games, burnt them with diff speed, in alcohol, nero but the problems are the same (only games that work well are Radiant Silvergun and NHL 98 but similar problems can occur in later parts of the games).

I doubt its isos problem, I picked five games and three of them dont work.

I would like to play some games, it seems SS is awesome console but the games dont work
What am I doing wrong?
Old 13 May 2009, 18:37   #59
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You're not buying original games?
Old 13 May 2009, 18:40   #60
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
You're not buying original games?
I ve got plenty of original games but the cds are scratched

edit - I do! How could I do the swap trick without them

Last edited by Sensi; 13 May 2009 at 18:52.
AdSense AdSense