English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 March 2008, 07:20   #1
Impakt

adIDE CF card compatibility

Hi all,
Just wondering how anyone out there with the adIDE is going in regards to compact flash card compatibility. What's the size limit, is it picky with brands (I read somewhere that they didn't like WD drives) and does it care what type of adapter you use?

I'm about to buy all the bits I need to get the internal hard drive going and wanted to make sure i bought the right gear.

Thanks!
Impakt
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 March 2008, 07:32   #2
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Good question, also eager to see some results. Thinking of putting it in my cdtv and having a boot CD fire it up.

Really not got much use out of it due to its pickyness with IDE drives.
Old 27 March 2008, 07:34   #3
Impakt

Anyone? I'm itching to get some CF cards from eBay!
Old 27 March 2008, 09:56   #4
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

My Spectrum DivIDE+ was really picky with CF cards... the designer recommended SanDisk (as the PiQ and Canon ones I had didn't work). Works perfectly. So I'd go for that as they are pretty good quality.
Old 27 March 2008, 10:02   #5
fc.studio
Cat lover

Now my ICD AdIDE seems broken, however it worked with a 256 MB Lexar, a 128 MB Dane-Elec and a 64 MB SanDisk. For what I know SanDisk CF cards always work, however stay on the genuine brand and stay on slower cards (ultra II for SanDisk seem to beok).
To format hard drives (CF) connected to AdIDE you need ICD Prep HD software. Take the last version (4.x ?) else your hard drive will be read max for about 20 MB only. I don't know the larger size the last software can detect, I know that it read the Lexar CF 256 MB I plugged to AdIDE.
Old 27 March 2008, 12:11   #6
Impakt

What are size limits? There are plenty of Ultra II Sandisk CF cards on eBay atm which is great.

Thanks,
Impakt
Old 27 March 2008, 19:32   #7
fc.studio
Cat lover

I remember that somewhere someone reported ICD AdIDE supports up to 1 GB, perhaps 2 GB. Unfortunately I can't confirm it as my AdIDE is out of service and I can't verify. My max size was 256 MB on Lexar CF, I did not test larger CF cards. You could have hardware (AdIDE) and/or software (ICD HD Prep) problems. Sorry.
- note: I would go for an old (blue) SanDisk CF for ICD AdIDE. I tested the 64MB and it worked. About Ultra II, this works with A600 / A1200 standard IDE controller (and obviosuly CF to IDE adapter) but I did not test it with A500 AdIDE.
Old 28 March 2008, 06:09   #8
Echo

I'd like to have a play with this too, since I have a stupid 3.5" HD which does not allow me to close the A1200

The perfect one from what I can gather, is a 44 pin female to CF adapter (90 bracket), so it can plug directly into the A1200's board - however these are extremely rare even on Ebay. Resorting to male ones, I'd need in addition a 44pin female-female IDE cable, which are again very rare.

Pretty confused with setting it up on 40pin jobbies, what with stuff like external power cables and wiring it to the Amiga's LED.
Old 28 March 2008, 11:06   #9
fc.studio
Cat lover

NO! I have the rare 44 pin female CF adapter (90 bracket) and unfortunately it doesn't fit in 44 pin male AdIDE connector (the last is wider).
I set using 40 pin male CF adapter + standard 40 pin IDE cable (female-female) + power splitter cable (3 female floppy connector).
You need a 3 (female) floppy power connectors: the first takes power from motherboard, the second goes to power the interal floppy, the third goes to power the 40 pin CF adapter.
You could build yourself such a cable. Since I'm not able to build it I connected 2 power cables I bought on e-bay (first cable: 2 female floppy + 1 male molex; second cable: 1 female floppy, 1 male molex (will stay free), 1 female molex).
It worked, for a short period, but it worked.
Old 28 March 2008, 20:53   #10
Echo

The Amiga's board has 44 pins? Maybe that's where I'm getting confused. I have one of those power splitters at least, molex for the hard drive.

Guess I could buy some bits from Ebay, wouldn't be much to experiment!
AdSense AdSense