English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 March 2002, 05:33   #21
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I hadn't noticed that, but it's true... it's stupid to want reality and use cheat mode at the same time...

Other day I copied raine and a few games for it to a 13 years old kid, then I made the stupid thing of telling him how to cheat with Raine (The emulator itself has a built-in "cheater" ).. I first played Dodonpachi to show him, then he begun to play, but he enabled EVERY cheat on the game, he didn't even know what each cheat did, he just wanted all cheats on...

So I watched him playing... it really made me feel mad, there was no game whatsoever, I just told him "Why don't you just keep the bomb button pressed? With imunnity, Infinite Lives and Infinite Bombs, there's no need to pretend you're playing something"

And that's what I see most of the time... people who pretend they are playing something...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 March 2002, 09:45   #22
Drake1009

I remember being happy with the cheat functions on the C64 until I grew up and found I was ruining bunches of things for myself. Some cheats ruin the game more than others. Infinite lives is a thing you might use in very hard games. But to take an example, Tilt! (By codemasters I think, the one where you tilted a board to make a ball roll around it, anyone seen an Amiga version of that?) had a cheat mode, which if enabled, allowed you to go through walls. I seriously had no idea about what the game was all about since I'd just turn the table and move the ball into the hole. It was such a lame game I thought.

Then a year later after I had rid myself of the nasty habbit I decided to try again (mostly because I had forgotten what it was), this time I didn't cheat and I loved the game. You have no idea how many hours I spent on that game without completeing it. I think apart from Park patrol (which was the first game we got for the C64 so I had nothing else to play) Tilt was the game I spent most time on in total. The fact that the cracker would make a "cheat like this or don't cheat" option really made me sad.
Old 15 March 2002, 10:46   #23
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I admit that when I was young and naive I used to enable cheats all the time on Amiga games (via trainers), and I still used to enjoy the games. But after a few years, I realised how much more fun it was to play games without cheating, as they were intended to be played.

Nowadays, I never, ever, cheat on retro or modern games alike. Once you witness how much rewarding, challenging and satisfying games are without cheats, you'll never go back to using them. And I get really annoyed by gamers who seem to think that cheating in games is compulsory, especially if you want to complete them.

What fun is that? Not very much. If such players have to cheat to complete, then they shouldn't go around calling themselves gamers. Because they are not.

They're crap.
Old 15 March 2002, 11:49   #24
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I think the problem with modern gaming kids is that they have that MTV mentality going on, the channel-switching remote control mindset. They want to be splashed with a bunch of exciting images, but are not interested in any depth. No patience. It began with rapid-cut music videos and the end result is quick-edit virtual reality. Why would they immerse themselves in a game? Why read a book when you can watch the video (and fast-forward past the boring parts!) It's just instant gratification in a rush hour world.

Today's generation can't stop and smell the roses. They are too busy with their quest for new, new, new (reference the Harlan Ellison interview again). This quest for new sensations can maybe be likened to youth's quest for 'kicks', as they used to call it. But this level of gaming seems to be aimed at all gamers, not just kids. So it is now considered an accepted standard and branded 'modern gaming'.

My only solace is that as this dark cloud looms over the gaming scene, I don't have to participate. There is now a near-bottomless pit of wonderful games to discover via arcade emulation, as well as 8 and 16-bit gaming. The trainers need not be activated, but they are there for the audience that just wants to look at the pretty graphics.

And as always, I parallel this with music. I am still discovering great music from every past generation. Lately, I am hooked on 70's soul music...talk about retro. And compared to the shitty modern R&B, it's a godsend that I can't believe I almost missed out on! And some modern music is actually listenable. There are indie artists that are making real music that doesn't play the sell-out game. And I personally believe that the same plane can exist in modern games. There can still exist a subdivision of games that dares to not care what the sales are. If the music industry can have a market for lo-fi, indie artists and record labels to match, then why can't the game industry have the same? Obviously there is some market for rich games that don't have to push all the buttons that equal a best-seller.

The internet has proven that there is a large number of people who prefer retro-gaming to modern gaming. And that is further backed up by the popularity of GBA. If only more industry people had the guts to not be afraid of catering to a niche market.
Old 15 March 2002, 12:27   #25
P-J
Grumpy veteran

Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
I think the problem with modern gaming kids is that they have that MTV mentality going on, the channel-switching remote control mindset. They want to be splashed with a bunch of exciting images, but are not interested in any depth. No patience. It began with rapid-cut music videos and the end result is quick-edit virtual reality. Why would they immerse themselves in a game? Why read a book when you can watch the video (and fast-forward past the boring parts!) It's just instant gratification in a rush hour world.

That's pretty much all you needed to say in that message. It's the way things are going, and hit the nail right on the head there.
Old 16 March 2002, 05:10   #26
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yeah, Twistin sumarized it all
Old 18 March 2002, 00:30   #27
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
That's Simple

Well I can't imagine anyone who owned a Amiga saying something like this...I mean once you have played on an Amiga NOTHING seems as good.

But I would say that it was TOSH, and that Amiga games had better Graphics, Better Gameplay and More Originality in it's games than anything Else :P
Old 22 March 2002, 01:44   #28
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Well first off i would like to say im a pc owner but will always have some kind of amiga in some shape or form in my house!
my pc setup has all the latest hardware on it and what do I do with it..... run UAE

my house is full of amiga stuff and if i play my cards right! i will have more this weekend.....

its like when i see a PPC'd 1200 running a game that would'nt run out of place on a pc or game console! that is what blow's me away!! I just dont get that same buzz from a pc.... never have never will!

Ian: Please don't type a direct signature (J in this case) into your post, user your UserCP instead.

Last edited by Ian; 23 March 2002 at 16:29.
AdSense AdSense