English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 10 July 2008, 09:24   #161
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
We've already had this conversation, hardened ASICs are cheaper... but still in the $200,000 - $300,000 NRE region for production.

Some vendors do offer what is called "shuttle-run" or MPW where the mask only contains one or two dies per wafer (the others being other people's projects) the NRE is significantly lower as the cost of the masks is shared but the price per chip is much much higher.

Go on Alex, I know you havr resisted but give us your opinion of the likelihood of this project delivering?

Better than Gordon Brown getting re-elected?
More likely than Prince Charles coming out as gay?
More likely than Wills marrying Britney?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 July 2008, 09:34   #162
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Go on Alex, I know you have resisted but give us your opinion of the likelihood of this project delivering?
The engineer behind the project (even though he was originally a softie) seems very competent. I have no worries that this project will be a viable in FPGA form for low volume, enthusiast, dev-kits. As much so, if not more than MiniMig.

But I still think we are talking years of dev time. Not weeks.

And I still think it's going to be as buggy as hell, WRT to classic compatibility, just like MiniMig (or worse). And will take many months of debug and analysis to get anywhere near full AGA compatibility.

I wish them all the luck in the world. If I can enthuse one word to the developers it would be "K.I.S.S."
Old 10 July 2008, 14:23   #163
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

I don't hold high hopes for the Natami personally (I'm not being negative, from reading some posts though the cost is going to go through the roof ) but I wish someone would re-develop the 'Access' from Index Information... The re-worked versions of original machines using oem custom chips such as the Phoenix etc etc always seem the better option for compatibility and probably a lot cheaper...
Old 10 July 2008, 19:25   #164
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCase View Post
I was not being rude, I was being frank.

[SNIP all the pointless drivel]
No, you were being henry...

But in any case if it's now OK to tell someone to shut up just cos you don't like what they are saying, well, shut the fuck up yourself... There... You can have no complaint since you think it's acceptable behaviour. Personally I think trying to silence someone IS stupid buy hey, you started it.. so Naa Naa Naah..
Old 10 July 2008, 19:43   #165
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
No, you were being henry...

But in any case if it's now OK to tell someone to shut up just cos you don't like what they are saying, well, shut the fuck up yourself... There... You can have no complaint since you think it's acceptable behaviour. Personally I think trying to silence someone IS stupid buy hey, you started it.. so Naa Naa Naah..
I am intending to shut the fuck up, because I have nothing to add to our discussion.
Old 11 July 2008, 18:51   #166
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCase View Post
Eh? Bill's Signature? No comprende compadre.
If you knew amiga history a bit better, you'll find some irony in that.

Jay Miner's signature from the top cover of a Commodore Amiga 1000 computer. The paw print is that of Mitchy, Miner's dog. (wiki)

Bill McEwen - Amiga Inc. today

And if you say that this project does not have anything to do with Amiga Inc. make sure Bill agree with you, as he is still under impression that C= and A are worth fortune.

ps. Make sure touch such as Shoonay's cat print are not missing.
Old 17 July 2008, 17:45   #167
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Send a message via MSN to MazinKaesar Send a message via Yahoo to MazinKaesar
... returing in topic... any news about Natami? Summer 2008 is now! ^__^
Old 17 July 2008, 20:06   #168
Yoto
1 Potato to Spamem all!

No its not! Summer in Germany is still two weeks away!
Old 18 July 2008, 00:44   #169
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

LOL! Maybe not too much for German people... ^__^

Here in Sicily instead it is very hot!!! And cooler in office are out of order >__< I hope I can survive until vacations
Old 18 July 2008, 01:50   #170
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
http://www.natami.net/knowledge.php?...=1076&z=lB4nVM
contains a status update that the Natami 60 board is designed and set to go to production.
Old 18 July 2008, 02:07   #171
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

And of course we all know that we can trust a guy like BigGun who "used the Amiga to write demos, intros, boot block loaders, cracking a few titles and writing trainers for games". That nobody ever saw any of these things done by him doesn't matter. Same for all the "trainers, crunchers, a few kickstart patches e.g altered the fileformat to make cracked games unreadable by other Amigas" he coded. And what about "and what to my believe the best voxel engine ever written on the Amiga ;-)" he coded? I'd like to see that one as I want to compete against such genius! Yes, he's a very trustworthy person.
Old 18 July 2008, 02:44   #172
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

@sting-ray

http://greyhound-data.com/gunnar/ is his website and he makes no such claims. He did write a game engine for SDL that runs on most Amiga platforms. He also worked on PowerPC Linux including the version that runs on the PS3.
Old 18 July 2008, 03:05   #173
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Samurai_Crow: So, he makes no such claims? Right.... And I better don't say anything about his "qualified" comments in a certain german Amiga forum...
Old 18 July 2008, 03:47   #174
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Ok. So he was a real hacker for a while. Many people got started in the games industry by modding games. I was something of a hacker back on the C64 days and now I'm a professional programmer with a 4-year degree in computer science. He may have a bit worse of a temper than I do but he knows more than a few things about computers.
Old 18 July 2008, 08:18   #175
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
http://www.natami.net/knowledge.php?...=1076&z=lB4nVM
contains a status update that the Natami 60 board is designed and set to go to production.
Thank you
Old 18 July 2008, 10:59   #176
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Ok. So he was a real hacker for a while. Many people got started in the games industry by modding games. I was something of a hacker back on the C64 days and now I'm a professional programmer with a 4-year degree in computer science. He may have a bit worse of a temper than I do but he knows more than a few things about computers.
BigGun and real hacker ;D;D;D;D If you actually believe what he said in that interview, well, then I can't help you... And that's all I will say about that matter. And about the "he knows more than a few things about computers", well, no comment either.
Old 18 July 2008, 11:52   #177
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Reading that interview fills in a few holes.

I thought that his graphics card design experience was relatively recent (being at the end of his list) but it was 12 years ago

I also assumed that it was a PC card... and it was an Amiga card which explains how he was able to rapidly prototype his demo's

Interesting stuff.
Old 18 July 2008, 11:57   #178
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
BigGun and real hacker ;D;D;D;D If you actually believe what he said in that interview, well, then I can't help you... And that's all I will say about that matter. And about the "he knows more than a few things about computers", well, no comment either.
Trolling perhaps? There are always people that are tearing it down. Why don't you stop your silly act and encourage the development of Natami instead? It's starting to show up as a perfect replacement for many old Amigas, so let's keep it positive about this mmkay?

And Gunnar seems to be quite knowledgeable about Amiga stuff and programming in general. Don't know him personnally though.
Old 18 July 2008, 14:25   #179
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
Trolling perhaps? There are always people that are tearing it down. Why don't you stop your silly act and encourage the development of Natami instead? It's starting to show up as a perfect replacement for many old Amigas, so let's keep it positive about this mmkay?

And Gunnar seems to be quite knowledgeable about Amiga stuff and programming in general. Don't know him personnally though.

Sure thing, I'm trolling... And the only one who's silly is Mr.BigGun himself. Guess what, I DID try to help him but he just didn't understand the simplest things regarding programming so how can I take someone like that serious? All he is good at is trying to make people BELIEVE he's the super-ultimate-knowledgable person. And as soon as he's out of arguments he starts to insult people so I'm sorry, I can't be positive about him at all! The one who's developing the Natami hardware has ALL(!) my respect and I wish him the best of luck, someone like BigGun however I can't respect, I'm sorry!
Old 18 July 2008, 15:23   #180
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
The one who's developing the Natami hardware has ALL(!) my respect and I wish him the best of luck, someone like BigGun however I can't respect, I'm sorry!
Are they not the same person?

Ah, I see the "Brains" behind NatAmi is Thomas Hirsch and this Gunnar bloke is... well... erm... "a nobody" ?

That probably explains a lot. I've read several posts by this Gunnar and most of them are bollox. Certainly not of the standard you'd expect from someone who knew anything about ASIC design.

Last edited by alexh; 18 July 2008 at 15:29.
AdSense AdSense