English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 27 February 2008, 23:02   #1
zigmund

Need help on how to boot from "packed" system files

I need to boot without startup sequence on my A1200 in order to bypass the logon password which I have forgotten. The problem is that I've packed all my system files, along with all the games and apps, in order to squeeze them on the 120 Mb HD and I can't remember what was the startup command to decrunch them. I remember that I've used Powerpacker to compress them and another program was needed to "decrunch" so they could be used by the OS as they are normal executable files (something like an uncompressed header so that the file can still be executed while in compressed form). I remember also that running that program produced rainbow like flashing lines all across the screen. I've tried to boot from my original WB disks but they are damaged (bad sectors). Also, tried all the commands I could remember on the CLI but to no avail. Thanks in advance.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 February 2008, 23:13   #2
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

@zigmund

The following text is from the origianl guide that comes with Powerpacker

PPack automatically decrunches files already packed with PPack.

For online help run PPack without any arguments to get a short description of the options.

Or use PPack ?

to get the command template in AmigaDOS style.

Is that any help?

Dave G
Old 28 February 2008, 03:03   #3
Hewitson

Wouldn't it have made much more sense to put a bigger drive in rather than crunch everything?
Old 28 February 2008, 12:36   #4
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I remember using a program called PP that decrunched powerpacker crunched files on the fly, really liked it as i remember
its probably the same thing that davideo posted above
Old 28 February 2008, 14:43   #5
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

I think when PowerPacker was first released upon the Amiga market it was know by its full name.

Over the years it seemed to change to PPack when the likes of PPMore, PPShow etc came out

Dave G
Old 28 February 2008, 16:06   #6
zigmund

Thanks to all that have tried to help me.

One of my old floppy's allowed me to boot into WB. I've browsed my files and discovered that I've to run "PPLoaseg", a Powerpacker support utility, in order to run all packed files. From there, it was a breeze. Just launched CygnusED and erased the "ALock" entry on the startup sequence. Reboot and there it was! my old WB screen.

Just a side note to Mr. Hewitson's "proactive" tip. In those days, back in 1994, when I bought my beloved Amiga, a 120 Mb HD was a marvelous commodity, taking in account I was upgrading from a A500. Since year 1998 or so, I've turned to Windows PC's and I've packed my A1200 and put it on the shelf, until I saw, just a week ago, a Recorded Amiga Game on Stage6 and decided to pick it up from the basement. Then, I discovered that I've forgotten the password!! and a bunch of other stuff that I used to know about the AmigaOS. However, it's funny how human memory can be recovered if we allow our memories to become more and more clear. I'm beggining to remember a lot a stuff that I've forgot about Amiga computing.

Old 28 February 2008, 16:21   #7
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

@Zigmund

Memory can play funny tricks on us all - I love it when I play funny tricks on my memory and get revenge

Dave G
Old 01 March 2008, 04:55   #8
Hewitson

Fair enough zigmund, I didn't realise itd been so long since you last used it
AdSense AdSense