English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 May 2008, 12:50   #61
Marcuz
Wurk???

i had ravaged the ARCmuseum, 5 internet webcomics and some elk pr0n website

by the way, Downloadhelper (for youtube and alike) and DownloadThemAll extensions, along with NoScript, ScreenGrab and IeTabs, are all the extensions i need
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 May 2008, 12:54   #62
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
it could be that the download history has become huge. check the Options > Privacy tab > see if the "remember downloaded files" is ticked: if it is, uncheck it, then empty the cache, personal data, history etc (same tab: check settings before to do so you can keep forms and passwords)
does this help any?
Hi marco,

indeed it helped a bit. From 115 MB down to 95 MB . By the way my DL history is mostly tidy, but my temporary data was a mess
Old 26 May 2008, 13:05   #63
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
by the way, Downloadhelper (for youtube and alike) and DownloadThemAll extensions, along with NoScript, ScreenGrab and IeTabs, are all the extensions i need
yes, i use those too, but without flashget there' not much helpful.
with them you can grab the desired name, format, type, etc. but than flashgot get's into work and puts all those files in a list that you can manually manage, download anytime, start and stop anytime, download 8 files at a time, download 10 pieces of 1 file at a time (which really does speedup things) not to mention firefox can manage his own connections to the websites without the interruptions from those "filled" with downloading files.
MUCH better then this ff's download_manager-wannabe-thing

Last edited by Shoonay; 26 May 2008 at 13:11.
Old 26 May 2008, 15:13   #64
Marcuz
Wurk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
yes, i use those too, but without flashget there' not much helpful.
with them you can grab the desired name, format, type, etc. but than flashgot get's into work and puts all those files in a list that you can manually manage, download anytime, start and stop anytime, download 8 files at a time, download 10 pieces of 1 file at a time (which really does speedup things) not to mention firefox can manage his own connections to the websites without the interruptions from those "filled" with downloading files.
MUCH better then this ff's download_manager-wannabe-thing
it is interesting, but my needs are not so big: i have little fondness for download helpers since Getright, years ago. however, thank you for the heads up
Old 27 May 2008, 12:21   #65
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

IE is crap. Can't think of any good points either for it!

Firefox does everything I need it to do especially for website development / checking / coding / FTP, cool add-ons / extensions, skins, and a great deal more. Always reliable and quick.

I did try Safari (XP) out of curiosity for webpage speed and had to say it WAS quicker than FF2 but after also trying FF3 certainly looks to blow away all other browsers for speed and reliability.

As for FF eating memory, only time I notice this is when the wife is doing work with Freecycle (massive global websites) and the FF extension loads the database everytime slowing things down... so I just disable this, and any other I know I might not need depending on what I'm doing.
Old 27 May 2008, 23:01   #66
paranoid
Phone Zen

For awhile I figured IE was good enough and wasn't assed enough to try Firefox, but since trying it I'd never go back now.

As for the reinstalling of plug-ins and all that.. I recently switched PCs and was dreading that.. I was even thinking of keeping the old PC just for web browsing. But found "MozBackup" and it copied plug-ins, their settings, my passwords, literally everything in one swoop.
Old 29 May 2008, 14:02   #67
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Set a Guinness World Record
Enjoy a Better Web

Here's one for all Firefox users!
Old 29 May 2008, 18:39   #68
TCD

I might sound stupid, but is it today?
Edit : Okay found that you only pledge that you download it then. A little strange IMHO
Old 29 May 2008, 23:00   #69
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
I'm using FF from a couple of years now. Don't want that M$hit back on my computer.

Just some another good plugins: Grease Monkey (for a few web pages) and Flash blocker.

Never looked back in the Internet Exploder direction again!
Old 29 May 2008, 23:12   #70
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Just some another good plugins: Grease Monkey (for a few web pages) and Flash blocker.
I can't live without Flashblock anymore
Thanks rkauer for Grease Monkey! Looks as if it is very useful on some pages.
AdSense AdSense