Originally Posted by Avanze View Post
Okay, now it is official.
Indeed.

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/ir/en...0080219_03.htm
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 February 2008, 14:16   #42
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I would think KG was laughing because you said you could barely hear it.. meaning you can hear something.

Only format I care about atm is divx.

Old 19 February 2008, 14:22   #43
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
So Higher bit rates and much better sound don't heighten the HD experience then, my mistake.
Are the Blu-Ray releases of the same films really being released in a noticeably higher bit-rate that the average joe would be able to tell the difference? And it be worth the extra cash?

I think you'll find that both media formats have exceptionally great sound, in fact correct me if I'm wrong but they both support uncompressed audio?

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnet
Nearly all HD DVD and Blu-ray discs offer one or more of the new, higher-resolution audio soundtracks, but the ability of players to deliver them varies widely. All current standalone HD DVD players can decode Dolby TrueHD and deliver it via HDMI as uncompressed PCM that most HDMI-equipped AV receivers can handle; or via multichannel analog outputs. Some Blu-ray players can do the same, but some cannot as it is not required by the Blu-ray specification. If the player cannot pass the full resolution of the soundtrack, it will pass a lower-resolution "core" surround soundtrack that's equal to or slightly better than standard Dolby Digital or DTS. There are currently players available in both formats capable of passing DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD in bitstream format, but not all players can do this.
Quote:
Because you are talking complete bollocks thats why.
Great argument, I can fuckin swear as well.

Quote:
Only HD-DVDs most staunch fanboys or biggest Sony haters ever argued it was a better format than Blu-Ray, anyone that looks at a list of specs would tell you Blu-Ray was better.
When have I ever said Blu-Ray was not a technically superior product?

My initial question was and I quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden
What about price?
Why should I have to pay more for something I don't need and there is an alternative product that is very very similar and is going to offer me a very very similar experience?

I know for a fact that if you were to watch a HD-DVD then watch a Blu-Ray of the same film you could not tell me which is which, you may get lucky a couple of times.

For (basically) an extra bit of space which is generally unnecessary and not required we will have to pay more for. If it wasn't for the PS3 then HD-DVD would of won imo. HD-DVD was the best way for most people to enjoy HD on a relatively cheap budget who didn't want to purchase a games machine.

Overall Blu-Ray was offering very little more than what HD-DVD was, and HD-DVD players were a lot cheaper, and the media had the potential to be a lot more cheaper.
Old 19 February 2008, 15:00   #44
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hmmm, maybe a win for the better format (possibly) but yet another loss for personal freedom and freedom of information...
...and, yes, of course you can cry 'faceless evil corporation' pretty much anywhere you look but IMO Sony are particularly bad for treating all their customers like potential thieves; adding undocumented spyware to their media / devices...
Old 19 February 2008, 15:04   #45
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hmmm, maybe a win for the better format (possibly) but yet another loss for personal freedom and freedom of information...
...and, yes, of course you can cry 'faceless evil corporation' pretty much anywhere you look but IMO Sony are particularly bad for treating all their customers like potential thieves; adding undocumented spyware to their media / devices...
Totally agree, thanks for bringing that to others attentions.
Old 19 February 2008, 15:20   #46
Avanze
Amiga User

Blu-ray region coding is going to suck. To be honest both format are practically identical for all intents are purposes. The important thing to rememeber is the actually mastering and production of the disc. Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD can be shoddy and unacceptable for such technology. It is a shame that no third independent company was created to review each disc and give a seal of approval to the best transfers.
Old 19 February 2008, 18:53   #47
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I second this!

Only not sure if I like to move to Ultra DivX yet.
Old 19 February 2008, 19:04   #48
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
I take it you haven't got one then KG or for that matter even seen one :
To me they are like the golden egg. I've never seen them, they may not even exist! But one day I shall set off on my search for said golden egg and witness its wonder.

Please let it be soon!
Old 19 February 2008, 19:09   #49
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I would think KG was laughing because you said you could barely hear it.. meaning you can hear something.

Got it in one mate

And I agree about divx too.

DOUBLE PRIZES!
Old 19 February 2008, 19:24   #50
Npl

Good riddance!

@seuden: Cheaper as in what?
HDDVD players where subsidized by Toshiba, they dont reflect the true hardware cost which is about the same for BluRay Players (barring differences in build-quality and brand-payup).
Add 100$ and you get a (also subsidized) BluRay-Ray Player and Console.

BluRay Media is actually cheaper to produce than HD-DVD aswell: http://wesleytech.com/blu-ray-vs-hd-...zed-again/113/
HDDVD might have been cheaper 2 years ago, when Factorys had to invest in new equipment, but BluRay is cheaper in the long run.
Old 19 February 2008, 19:29   #51
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Are the Blu-Ray releases of the same films really being released in a noticeably higher bit-rate that the average joe would be able to tell the difference? And it be worth the extra cash?
Of course they aren't going to enocde the film twice, they are all done to the lowest spec, which was HD-DVD, plenty of Blu-Ray only movies are encoded at a higher bitrate than is possible on HD-DVD.[/quote]
Quote:
I think you'll find that both media formats have exceptionally great sound, in fact correct me if I'm wrong but they both support uncompressed audio?
Support yes, deliver no.

Anyway, read the text you quoted as doesn't prove or support your point at all. It says it can decode Dolby HD and deliver it uncompressed via HDMI not have it stored uncompressed on the HD-DVD like you can on the 10gb PER LAYER advantage blu-ray has.

Quote:
Great argument, I can fuckin swear as well.
Yours doesn't have the statement of fact mine had though, it's just swearing for swearing sake.
Old 19 February 2008, 19:33   #52
Interceptor

you guys are talking about your arses now.

simple fact is HD-DVD is a loooooooooser, probably becuase is has a shite name but it doesnt matter which one died, at least one did. and its dead. so rapidly may it bugger off.

we didnt have this crap with 1st gen DVD did we, and for me that means i now have a large collection of DVDs which didnt cost me lots of money.

back luck if you got an HD-DVD player, serves you right for wasting your money.

and if you bought a PS3, then your luck was in i guess.

and now may we all buy blue-ray players and drives and enjoy freedom to choose what film we like in 'the' format.

which one is better? the one with all the films on. simple. and that doesnt apply to either of the formats until one is gone.
Old 19 February 2008, 20:56   #53
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

How the hell is any of this even remotely on-topic or retro-newsworthy?
Old 19 February 2008, 21:14   #54
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

As I collect Betamax and Laserdisc equipment I can only assume that in 20 years time I will have another corner of the house filled with HD-DVD stuff *sigh*

I've been totally underwhelmed by both formats to be honest, the majority of my DVD collection which is old TV shows would not benefit from a High Def' release anyway as the original quality is poor, and the only purpose High Def' films have served for me so far is to highlight errors and glitches in special effects.

I'm more than happy with the quality of my DVD's and Laserdiscs for a long time yet.

Last edited by Mick_AKA; 19 February 2008 at 21:21.
Old 19 February 2008, 22:47   #55
Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
How the hell is any of this even remotely on-topic or retro-newsworthy?
because news on the grape vine is that DiscreetFX is going to buy HD-DVD.
Old 19 February 2008, 23:09   #56
demoniac

Quote:
Of course they aren't going to enocde the film twice, they are all done to the lowest spec, which was HD-DVD, plenty of Blu-Ray only movies are encoded at a higher bitrate than is possible on HD-DVD.
I don't think the movie industry cares about this... like there aren't films that were released multiple times due to improvements in the encoding process.
Old 19 February 2008, 23:10   #57
IFW

HD DVD is officially retro after Toshiba stopped manufacturing it
Old 19 February 2008, 23:24   #58
MethodGit

I was really hoping Sony would fail in the end.

In the end, it was all about the level of DRM protection and the restriction of what you could do with your films (upscaling et al). Fox and Disney only sided with Blu-Ray after being informed enough rigorous protection would be applied to fuck the consumers over as usual.

Not that I ever experimented with either format, but damn, I was hoping Sony would really get a major kick in the nuts somehow for being one of the worst modern day companies on the planet.
Old 19 February 2008, 23:35   #59
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Newsflash for methodgit: Film companies do not want their work to be stolen.

Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray featured heavy protection (In fact both used the VERY SAME DRM protection).

I think what you are attempting to refer to is actually region encoding, naff all to do with protection.
Old 19 February 2008, 23:41   #60
Unch

While I don't see the point of either format, I was secretly hoping that Blu-ray would fail, just because Sony really needs to get it's arse kicked so it steps back and gets its shit in order. Another landslide win for Playstation would be a terrible thing for the games industry. (Don't get me wrong, the original PS was a major turning point in the games industry, and I think it saved the console industry - but Sony became stagnated with it's success)

Seriously, what are the real benefits of these HD formats? DVD offered practical benefits over VHS - compact media, the ability to jump to arbitrary points in playback, no physical degradation / loss of quality over time. What do these HD formats really offer?
AdSense AdSense