English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 January 2008, 00:04   #21
demoniac

I disagree with the Zork Trilogy entry, even though I love the series, as they don't show off the Amiga's power. How about The Faery Tale Adventure? Or Ultima III for ported games?

As for 1985, someone on Lemon thought One-On-One was a good game. I have never played this game.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 31 January 2008, 01:09   #22
xaind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Not an amiga original, but surely Bard's Tale should be on that list as well?
I second this. As I remember it, Bard's Tale was a very well-known and well-liked game of the time. There are numerous fan-sites about the Bard's Tale series in existence today (for examples, look up Bard's Tale on Wikipedia.) Not too many games from that era can boast that.

Just my humble opinion, of course.
Old 31 January 2008, 02:30   #23
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
The Zorks didn't use speech, at least Zork 3 didn't and I'd imagine if any did, that would. I also think it's an odd choice for an Amiga book since it's the same as it ever was on all platforms, even the 64. Good game? Probably, but good Amiga game? Eh..not really. And it was popular, sure, that's considering it was on practically everything. I'd even wonder just how much it sold on the Amiga since someone would have had to miss it on everything else. Doesn't make for good screenshots either.

Leaderboard Golf isn't quite as good as I remember it.. Used to play it a lot on the 64, but the Amiga version is odd.. Too fast/hard maybe.

The others on the list are either very good picks or I'm not familiar with them. The Pawn is a good choice, too; as I remember it, it was groundbreaking for its graphics (even on other systems) for an adventure.
I was thinking that speech would be a differentiating point for an Amiga game, but otherwise I don't know if there is anything special about text adventure. The Pawn does look graphically great in HOL. I would link to a SPOC disk game page, but this game is missing from everywhere, even HOL. I can upload the adf if anyone is interested. It contains a collection of AmigaBASIC games, and the text adventure with speech is one of them.

Instead of Leaderboard golf, I had Mean 18 golf (game from 1986). Visually, Leaderboard looks better, but never played it. Mean 18 has a great course editor so you can create your own custom courses! Pretty good for 86. Not sure if other platforms had that same feature?

I agree Bards Tale seems more appropriate than the multitude of 3 or 4 text adventures selected. Amiga was my first computer, with all its sound features, I guess the text adventures with no speech were not very appealing for me.

EDIT:
This list may be useful: http://www.enkil.demon.co.uk/Pages/aminos1.html
Interesting that mean 18 golf was twice the price of leaderboard golf on this list. I would have thought they would be competing against each other. Text adventures also have a lower price if not the same.

Last edited by Calgor; 31 January 2008 at 03:19.
Old 31 January 2008, 03:44   #24
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Flight Simulator II v1.0

Another one that may have been missed due to the date in HOL (http://hol.abime.net/574, http://hol.abime.net/575) According to the Flight Simulator History website, the first version for the Amiga was released in 1986 v1.0 (I myself had the 1987 v1.1 version). Although perhaps the v1.0 was just a demo? Anyone confirm? HOL has a v1.01 demo for 1987, and does not call it Flight Simulator II.

http://www.volny.cz/havlikjosef/timelineenglish.htm

Perhaps Flight Simulator II should make the list if it was actually released in 1986 if anyone can confirm? The Amiga and Atari ST versions when released where a lot better than the PC version. The MicroSoft Flight Simulator is based on this one, which was in turn based on the original one, before Microsoft took it over.

Okay, so it is more of a flight simulator than a game, but it does have a World War II mode to fight in the plane, and it has a multiplayer option via modem linkup. [Although I have no idea if these features were in v1.0 or added in v1.1/1.2 unless someone has the adf or in TOSEC]

EDIT:
According to the website with more detail, it was released in 1986, with updates in 1987, therefore I think Flight Simulator II should also be included in your list:
http://www.volny.cz/havlikjosef/historyenglish.htm

"The year 1986 witnessed another major breakthrough in the design of new versions of Flight Simulator. Artwick fully exploited capabilities of Amiga and Atari ST computers, and released subLOGIC Flight Simulator II for Atari ST and subLOGIC Flight Simulator II for Amiga. Although they were designated with Roman II as the versions for Apple II, Atari, C 64 and Data General/One mentioned above, the amount of innovations was such that it could have been designated version III. They are pretty comparable with later MS Flight Simulator 3.0. The most innovative features included the system of roll menu bars, new views such as “spot, track, tower”, and besides the Cessna 182, the Learjet 25G is also offered. You can also open another view and modify its size and position. Moreover, you can also choose the direction of the view and open the map view. The display resolution was 320 x 240 and 16 colours were used. After I compared the Amiga and Atari ST editions, the only difference between them was a different colour and shape of the cursor arrow. The Atari ST edition has a white arrow, while the Amiga one is brown. Likewise, with the previous Flight Simulator packages for other platforms, upgraded editions followed, for example subLOGIC Flight Simulator II for Amiga versions 1.1 and 1.2 in 1987. "

Last edited by Calgor; 31 January 2008 at 04:17.
Old 31 January 2008, 04:25   #25
andrew_rollings

Okay, so I'll drop Zork, add Arctic Fox, Chess Master 2000.

Bard's Tale is included. I don't know how I missed it off the list. My bad

Andrew
Old 31 January 2008, 08:55   #26
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Mean 18 Golf is missing.. :-) Classic golf simulator that got a lot of play in our family in the 80s.
Old 31 January 2008, 12:38   #27
NLS
Ancient User

definitely Faery Tale in there

also this thread would probably help you:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=576
Old 31 January 2008, 12:53   #28
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I didn't realise FTA was from that era! Def include that then!
Old 31 January 2008, 13:22   #29
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I'm not sure 1986 is the right date for Faery Tale...
The review dates are all later and rather mixed...

It seems like Faery Tale Adventure can't be included,
it looks like it was released in 1987 at the earliest in the US and 88 in the UK.

Last edited by Belgarath; 31 January 2008 at 13:31.
Old 31 January 2008, 20:39   #30
demoniac

The 1986 date is the copyright date on the Amiga version (and what HOL has listed). This of course doesn't mean that the game wasn't first released in the following year(s).
Old 31 January 2008, 20:52   #31
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The SPS image files says 6th November 1986. Maybe a Christmas '86 release, who knows.
Old 01 February 2008, 04:33   #32
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

For FTA, I have added another link that shows releases from March-Aug 1987 of which FTA is included. Although who knows which country this list is for, or if it is correct, or if it is only pre-order, or who compiled it, etc. [EDIT: answer who: http://www.enkil.demon.co.uk/old.html]

http://www.enkil.demon.co.uk/Pages/aminos2.html

It would be good if someone had some old magazines from that time period. Were there any Amiga magazines from 1985-1986?

FTA looks great btw.

Oh and what do ppl think about Flight Simulator II being included in the list? (It is listed as released in http://www.enkil.demon.co.uk/Pages/aminos1.html as from between Sep 85-Feb 87)

EDIT:
The webpages linked say the titles are released or announced during the time period, and a couple may have never made it to market.

Last edited by Calgor; 01 February 2008 at 15:58.
Old 01 February 2008, 13:33   #33
NLS
Ancient User

Could be.

I still think the thread above will help the writer.
Old 02 February 2008, 02:23   #34
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
It would be good if someone had some old magazines from that time period. Were there any Amiga magazines from 1985-1986?

FTA looks great btw.
There's Compute! and probably Commodore Magazine as well. Faery Tale Adv. also sounds great too!
Old 05 February 2008, 17:57   #35
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Seems to be many contradictory timelines (has links to some reviews, amr/hol doesn't seem to have any reviews for some of these old games):

http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/Timeline.html

Some of the linked to descriptions don't match the year. The Pawn used the Amiga's speech optionally for the text adventure according to the review. So that is obviously one made specially for the amiga.

@andrew_rollings

Have you played most of the games listed in this thread?
Old 05 February 2008, 18:16   #36
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
The Pawn used the Amiga's speech optionally for the text adventure according to the review. So that is obviously one made specially for the amiga.
Not being picky, but it was originally developed on the Sinclair QL IIRC, then made it to the ST and Amiga, then went to other 8 bit machines.

Intriguingly (well, ish!), Magnetic Scrolls implemented their adventures in a "virtual" language much like z-code from infocom, but the language was a subset of 68000 opcodes.
Old 05 February 2008, 19:05   #37
andrew_rollings

Quote:

@andrew_rollings

Have you played most of the games listed in this thread?
A few of them back in the day... More of them now via emulator.

Andrew
Old 05 February 2008, 20:36   #38
NLS
Ancient User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
Intriguingly (well, ish!), Magnetic Scrolls implemented their adventures in a "virtual" language much like z-code from infocom, but the language was a subset of 68000 opcodes.

Indeed and there is even an interpreter. (Magnetic 2.2 IIRC)
Old 05 February 2008, 22:11   #39
chiark
Needs a life

I'm rather aware of that - I ported it to WinCE - reminds me, I must put my website back up...
Old 05 February 2008, 22:21   #40
NLS
Ancient User

WHERE!?

(and how can we arrange for other things to get ported to WM... see like WinUAE -last version ported to PPC before they abandoned the project was a real mess- or -much simpler- Gargoyle!)

http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Gargoyle
http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-...Xgargoyle.html

(btw the above is interesting to port to the Amiga too)
AdSense AdSense