English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 06 January 2008, 00:12   #1
jamesgafys

some thing so simple

call me a dumbass , but i carnt remember how do i change the default so it always shows allfiles and makes the window size bigger by default.
is there an app for this ? i have looked in my VP , MUI , MCP . nothing
i have scanned my prefs , my ENV checked google , anyone know ?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 January 2008, 06:39   #2
Stokey

Assuming you mean in WB, not DOpus, just snapshot the windows.
Old 06 January 2008, 12:15   #3
jamesgafys

Smile

yeah i mean in WB , snaphaot works fine for system folders but not for my RAM and CD drives. allways opens in a tiny window and show only icons. because they r not a fixed disk they do not contain a .info file which i think is what has the window size placement etc. info in.

i know it can be done i have seen it and i probaly did it back in 1995 on my A600 . but i have been in the land of XP for too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokey View Post
Assuming you mean in WB, not DOpus, just snapshot the windows.
Old 06 January 2008, 12:44   #4
OddbOd

Check this post for several ways of solving the problem, note that there is probably a default icon for your CD drive in ENVARC:Sys but the name varies on different systems so you'll have to take a bit of a guess.
Old 06 January 2008, 14:23   #5
jamesgafys

yeap this is what i thought for RAm. if i take Amikit for example and turn off DOpus and put into standard classicWB mode it does what i want.
i think iam going to after go through the .info's which r loading to the ram ENV , snapshot and put back on HDD so they can load next boot. damn this is a long way round a small problem .

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
Check this post for several ways of solving the problem, note that there is probably a default icon for your CD drive in ENVARC:Sys but the name varies on different systems so you'll have to take a bit of a guess.
Old 07 January 2008, 11:31   #6
Stokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgafys View Post
yeah i mean in WB , snaphaot works fine for system folders but not for my RAM and CD drives. allways opens in a tiny window and show only icons. because they r not a fixed disk they do not contain a .info file which i think is what has the window size placement etc. info in.
Problems get fixed sooner if you give the relevant info sooner.

There was an application to snapshot CD icons etc. It's name was something like CD-Write.
Old 07 January 2008, 14:04   #7
Bloodwych

There has to be a "disk.info" file on the volume to control the window display info and snapshot position.

I think Workbench adds these to disks automatically upon snapshot, but obviously the ram disk will lose the settings on reboot and CDs are read only. Most CD drivers use a default icon in the ENV: folder that can be changed with your required settings as OddbOd said.

Scalos used in my ClassicWB packs can snapshot all disks, even those that don't have disk.info files on them - it's one of its cool features. It stores the settings in a separate icon folder, so you can control the position and size of all disk icons easily and also where they appear on Workbench.

Standard Workbench has utilities you can download from aminet like ramsnap for ram disks, or you can add a line to your startup-sequence that copies a disk.info file to the ramdisk at boot.

There are default icon tools available on Aminet that might also do the same thing, like the one included with the NewIcon packages.

I have no experience with DirOpus as a Workbench replacement, so I can't comment on that.
Old 07 January 2008, 18:42   #8
jamesgafys

cheers Bloodwych , this is what my investagations had found with the disk.info . i will give aminet a try for this ramsnap. i did look on aminet but unless u follow it daily its a bit overwhelming with the apps on it. as for the icons got em all up and running , hell i even took the dev_ram.info from env ram and played with it (with no success)
and stokey what i said on the first post is what i wanted to do , because this aint possible iam now just doing ram: . not a default setup for every window like i wanted (and said quite clear in the first post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
There has to be a "disk.info" file on the volume to control the window display info and snapshot position.

I think Workbench adds these to disks automatically upon snapshot, but obviously the ram disk will lose the settings on reboot and CDs are read only. Most CD drivers use a default icon in the ENV: folder that can be changed with your required settings as OddbOd said.

Scalos used in my ClassicWB packs can snapshot all disks, even those that don't have disk.info files on them - it's one of its cool features. It stores the settings in a separate icon folder, so you can control the position and size of all disk icons easily and also where they appear on Workbench.

Standard Workbench has utilities you can download from aminet like ramsnap for ram disks, or you can add a line to your startup-sequence that copies a disk.info file to the ramdisk at boot.

There are default icon tools available on Aminet that might also do the same thing, like the one included with the NewIcon packages.

I have no experience with DirOpus as a Workbench replacement, so I can't comment on that.
Old 08 January 2008, 03:25   #9
Stokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgafys View Post
and stokey what i said on the first post is what i wanted to do , because this aint possible iam now just doing ram: . not a default setup for every window like i wanted (and said quite clear in the first post)
It doesn't read that way to me, but I learned English at school, not text speak.
Old 09 January 2008, 08:41   #10
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
There's a proggy named VirtualIcons to save your cd-icons positions but it sucks 'cause it doesn't point directly to CD0 or CD1 but the volume names only. RamSnap really works (copy it to C-drawer), you just have to copy "disk.info" from "RAM:" to as "S:RAM.info". Then add to User-startup:

Copy S:RAM.info RAM:disk.info QUIET
Run >NIL: C:RamSnap

Then you can snapshot the RAM-icon at will. As for what comes to cd-icons, in WB 3.9 you first open drawer "SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/" and locate the CD-icons there. Then move them on Workbench itself, snapshot them to the positions you like and then move them back to "SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/". That's it! I don't know how to do this if you have WB 3.1 or smaller...

Last edited by Bamiga2002; 09 January 2008 at 10:01. Reason: wrong info
Old 09 January 2008, 18:34   #11
jamesgafys

Thanks All , ramsnap it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
There's a proggy named VirtualIcons to save your cd-icons positions but it sucks 'cause it doesn't point directly to CD0 or CD1 but the volume names only. RamSnap really works (copy it to C-drawer), you just have to copy "disk.info" from "RAM:" to as "S:RAM.info". Then add to User-startup:

Copy S:RAM.info RAM:disk.info QUIET
Run >NIL: C:RamSnap

Then you can snapshot the RAM-icon at will. As for what comes to cd-icons, in WB 3.9 you first open drawer "SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/" and locate the CD-icons there. Then move them on Workbench itself, snapshot them to the positions you like and then move them back to "SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/". That's it! I don't know how to do this if you have WB 3.1 or smaller...
AdSense AdSense