English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 January 2008, 05:06   #21
TodaysForgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dragon View Post
2D Shoot Em Ups on X-Box360, PS-3, Wii…

Well. It’s been well over a year since the X-Box 360, PS-3 & Wii were released, but not a single game for these consoles has caught my eye to justify buying any of the three so far.

I’m an old-school gamer, I prefer 2D Shoot Em Ups like R-Type & Gradius, Ikaruga, Raiden, Parodius. But so far to my knowledge, none of this genre has been released on any of the 3 consoles?!
And no, all those 2D downloadable games for a 5$-10$ fee don’t count. I want a full retail game released on disc media!

So, which of the three systems has a better chance of getting 2D Shoot Em Ups to spend my hard earned money on?!

Thanks in advance.
Hey mannnnn,

Well, wii is bringing out castle of shikigami 3 and for the 360 as well from what ive been reading.

Next week on the 360 xbla is Omega Five. Which looks to be a promising shmup. It's supposedly for the hardcore, so we'll see. They have a one hit mode, which should be interesting.

Ikaruga was suppose to be out 2 months ago for the 360, but once again in limbo...

Sometime in 08', Success is bringing out a Raiden Aces Trilogy. So, times are looking good for shmup fans.

Soldner X is a pretty badass game.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 January 2008, 12:25   #22
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Am I the only one that didn't like Ikaruga all that much? I don't hate it as such, but I never properly got into it.
Old 04 January 2008, 12:30   #23
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Am I the only one that didn't like Ikaruga all that much? I don't hate it as such, but I never properly got into it.
Score shooter are not everyone's cup of tea. I also prefer games like Raiden, Pulstar, R-Type, Aleste... or fun-shooter like KEIO Flying Squadron or Parodius.
Old 05 January 2008, 15:26   #24
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHook/OTT View Post
Can't find a demo for Everyday Shooter on UK/US/Jap PSN's
That's cause there is no demo

Only available to buy in the US and Jap stores I think, but if you like shooters and can afford it, then I have only heard positive things about it.

They aren't my type of game though so I haven't bought it.
Old 05 January 2008, 18:36   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
If you are really aa oldschool 2D gamer you have to own a PSX, Saturn and of course the PC-Engine DUO, maybe a Dreamcast too. Then you can play ALL the classics like R-Type, Raiden, Gradius, Parodius, Radiant Silvergun, Thunderforce etc. on real media.

This VC stuff sucks, the graphics are scaled/interpolated for higher next gen resolutions. Looks awful.
The original Playstation was pretty crap at horizontal scrollers, the Saturn versions frequently were better.
Old 05 January 2008, 18:49   #26
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's no secret that the Saturn has better 2D capabilities. I never had a Saturn, but probably in the near future.
Old 05 January 2008, 20:40   #27
paranoid
Phone Zen

Not a shooter, but I had the D&D Collection for Saturn, and that was an excellent 2D game (well two). (Probably helped that it used the bigger memory cart, if I remember right..)
Old 06 January 2008, 12:37   #28
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
It's no secret that the Saturn has better 2D capabilities. I never had a Saturn, but probably in the near future.
lovely machine I got 3 working saturn

just make a visit to Mick_fAgA he pay you in saturns
Old 07 January 2008, 13:46   #29
ST Dragon

What about Gradius VI? (Gradius 6)
I remember reading an article almost 2 years ago, that it was supposed to be under development by Konami & Treasure for the SONY PS-3?!
Old 07 January 2008, 15:59   #30
pmc
rebooting...

Joined this discussion a bit late but going back to your original question, you can already get 2D shooters on the Wii through the Virtual Console (IIRC, R-Type is one of them...) and you can also buy the Metal Slug Anthology Wii game that contains all the Metal Slug games too...
AdSense AdSense