English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 January 2008, 19:47   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Mode Promotion on a 1200 - please advise. (MechForce)

I'm trying to mode promote an old Amiga game (MechForce - which uses an interlace mode) to a non-interlace mode.

I can run the game okay, but my Voodoo (via my TV card) doesn't support interlace and seems to remove half the horizontal lines making thing quite difficult to read.

I'm doing this in an OS 3.1 environment, and I've had some success in that I can get the game to run in some weird screenmode 1280x200 or something, and although its not practical to play in that mode, the text looks great!

So if the interlace mode is 640x512 are there any likely non-interlace resolutions (hacks?) I can promote to on a normal (not multisynch) Amiga monitor?

Go on, you know you want to offer some advice.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 02 January 2008, 19:51   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

have you tried "newmode" ? you should be able to get it from aminet. if not gimmie a shout and i will attempt to find and zone it
Old 02 January 2008, 20:02   #3
meega
Secret Lemonade Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I'm doing this in an OS 3.1 environment, and I've had some success in that I can get the game to run in some weird screenmode 1280x200 or something, and although its not practical to play in that mode, the text looks great!
NTSC SuperHiRes, no overscan?
Old 02 January 2008, 20:29   #4
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
have you tried "newmode" ? you should be able to get it from aminet. if not gimmie a shout and i will attempt to find and zone it
Yes, thanks, I've been trying with NewMode and ModePro, but there seem to be loads of options. Thinks like Multiscan and Productivity won't work on a standard Amiga monitor, I think? Then there's all these Super72 and VGA modes. :-/

Is there just a way of displaying 640x512 on a normal Amiga monito without interlace, or some sort of halfway house?
Old 02 January 2008, 20:45   #5
meega
Secret Lemonade Drinker

Autoscroll, using a larger than standard display area but still in standard mode... like a scrolling game...
Old 02 January 2008, 20:48   #6
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by meega View Post
Autoscroll, using a larger than standard display area but still in standard mode... like a scrolling game...
Okay.... how does one go about creating such a screenmode? Is it doable in NewMode or ModePro?

Thanks btw.
Old 02 January 2008, 20:50   #7
meega
Secret Lemonade Drinker

Hang on, I'll boot my A1200...
Old 02 January 2008, 20:53   #8
meega
Secret Lemonade Drinker

Ok, if you open the Prefs drawer and run ScreenMode...

Then, regard Width and Height thingies with checkboxes next to them - clear those checkmarks and you can define ENORMOUS screens for Workbench...
Old 02 January 2008, 21:42   #9
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by meega View Post
Ok, if you open the Prefs drawer and run ScreenMode...

Then, regard Width and Height thingies with checkboxes next to them - clear those checkmarks and you can define ENORMOUS screens for Workbench...
Thanks - I had some success with that. I adjusted the resolution of PAL LOw RES to 640x512 and it worked, very easy to read text! But a bit too big! I tried adjusting to 640x400 but it seemed the same. Is this down to the demands of the game and its requirements, or can I make the screen physically a bit smaller so I can see more of it at any one time.

Thanks in any case as this is real progress.
Old 02 January 2008, 21:56   #10
meega
Secret Lemonade Drinker

All that the AutoScroll feature does is make the visible part of the screen into a viewport onto the larger bitmap held in memory - just like the Chaos Engine, etc.

The only reason that you are not normally aware of the fact that you are looking at a viewport (which you always are doing in any case) is because the viewable area is the same size as the displayable screen area - so no scrolling ever takes place.

The biggest visible size that you will ever get without higher scan rates is standard PAL with max overscan - 724 x 283 non-laced (ignoring SuperHiRes unless you have a very-wide-screen TV hooked up). If you now define an oversized Workbench then that becomes the size of the viewport onto the bigger displayable area.
AdSense AdSense