English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 16 November 2007, 16:02   #1
Pyromania
Moderator

Pyromania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,785
Real 3D now free?

Per this thread it looks like the Amiga versions of Real 3D are now free.


http://www.amiga.org/modules/newbb/v...=41518&forum=9
Pyromania is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 16 November 2007, 16:12   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
@Pyromania

well one email discourse wont make it free ware,

I am pretty sure that the company although wont support any Amiga version, obviously don't want to disseminate it, other wise they would host it on their site, after all it would be a great advertising for the 'supported' versions with all the new features and nuts and bolts.

Please don't get me wrong though, I do hope that Read3D can be saved from oblivion and hosted on Aminet, but i fear it will be some time before theres a final approval.

but heres keeping my fingers crossed.
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 16 November 2007, 16:23   #3
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
obviously don't want to disseminate it, other wise they would host it on their site, after all it would be a great advertising for the 'supported' versions
You've just presumed that. The Amiga version is dead. It's advertising to a tiny handful of people who would own an Amiga let alone install that package on it. It's not good advertising.

The bandwidth to host the file is probably more money than would be generated in marketing. It's only of use to hobbyists.
P-J is offline  
Old 16 November 2007, 16:29   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
You've just presumed that. The Amiga version is dead. It's advertising to a tiny handful of people who would own an Amiga let alone install that package on it. It's not good advertising.

The bandwidth to host the file is probably more money than would be generated in marketing. It's only of use to hobbyists.
but in retrospect you have presumed that too -5 points to P-J

arguably... whom ONLY has an Amiga? its kinda is synonymous if you want to web-browse you kinda need a PC to do it... classic miggys well... i dont want to presume to much
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 16 November 2007, 16:47   #5
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
but in retrospect you have presumed that too -5 points to P-J

arguably... whom ONLY has an Amiga? its kinda is synonymous if you want to web-browse you kinda need a PC to do it... classic miggys well... i dont want to presume to much
If full-time Amiga users are more than 0.05% of computer users I'll be shocked

I'm just saying your logic makes very little sense in the real world.
P-J is offline  
Old 16 November 2007, 17:09   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
If full-time Amiga users are more than 0.05% of computer users I'll be shocked

I'm just saying your logic makes very little sense in the real world.
my friend you missing the bit with

"I'm just saying your logic makes very little sense in the real world of P-J",

its a shame you cannot see the logic in advertising your previous work in the attempt to coerce and entice uses to upgrade to their modern 'supported' systems, ask Pyromania if you still struggle to see the logic of it

oh and now it -7 points to both of us for trolling a thread....
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 17 November 2007, 00:54   #7
Charlie
. . Mouse . .
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nowhere
Age: 49
Posts: 1,792
Hey, I've just had a really divisive idea!

My wife is a mod on a forum where the users have 'karma points' which are affected by them either 'exalting' or 'smiting' fellow members.

Can you imagine the fun we could have with that - better still if amiga.org had such a system!
Charlie is offline  
Old 17 November 2007, 00:59   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
@Charlie

You know if Amigay.org had a such a 'Karma' system, it would cease to function my friend.
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 17 November 2007, 01:55   #9
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
its a shame you cannot see the logic in advertising your previous work in the attempt to coerce and entice uses to upgrade to their modern 'supported' systems, ask Pyromania if you still struggle to see the logic of it
Erm, there is a free trial for all the 'supported' systems. Why would I download a crappy version for a dead piece of hardware when I can try the latest version on my target system right now?

Also I'd love to see how many of these hobbyists would pay 600euros for a piece of software.

You say people need 'coercing' to upgrade to a new platform. No offense, but if you think people are still using Amiga machine in production for anything more than a tiny (I mean miniscule) drop in the ocean of real commercial projects you're dreaming. In fact I'd be interested if you could point me to any successful commercial projects current running or being developed on Amiga.

Perhaps Pyromania could 'enlighten me' as you put it.

Plus we're not trolling... It was never going to be a killer thread

Last edited by P-J; 17 November 2007 at 02:02.
P-J is offline  
Old 17 November 2007, 06:50   #10
Pyromania
Moderator

Pyromania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,785
You would be surprised how many places still use the Amiga Video Toaster 4000.
Pyromania is offline  
Old 17 November 2007, 07:54   #11
oneshotdead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: asteroid belt
Posts: 273
I see Amigas in professional studios everywhere.
oneshotdead is offline  
Old 20 November 2007, 08:46   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotdead View Post
I see Amigas in professional studios everywhere.
Maybe in Oz, but I have'nt seen one in real life in about 10 years.
And I deal with a hell of a lot of media and video/audio professionals in the media capital of the world.
Fred the Fop is offline  
Old 20 November 2007, 12:42   #13
Angus
Amiga Games Database
Angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South West England
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
Maybe in Oz, but I have'nt seen one in real life in about 10 years.
And I deal with a hell of a lot of media and video/audio professionals in the media capital of the world.
What? You work in Shoeburyness too?
Angus is offline  
Old 21 November 2007, 13:42   #14
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Mick_AKA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Stone, Staffordshire.
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotdead View Post
I see Amigas in professional studios everywhere.
If this was around 1999-2000 then I would whole heartedly agree, Amigas were still everywhere, alas it has been a very long time since I visited a design studio of any sort with an Amiga running anywhere.

That said im told Aardman has at least one A4k floating about?!
Mick_AKA is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Real 3D StevenMarshall Nostalgia & memories 7 29 November 2011 16:08
Free Hat!!! Free Hat!!! Sorry I mean Free ZX Spectrum basic Programming Book fitzsteve MarketPlace 3 02 April 2010 19:48
Can you say free AmigaOne computers and free Amiga phones? Pyromania Amiga scene 26 16 February 2010 14:49
The last of the last to go free jamski MarketPlace 17 28 September 2009 10:46
Here is what I got for FREE Yarzok Retrogaming General Discussion 9 16 December 2002 11:15

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.18630 seconds with 11 queries