English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 October 2007, 00:47   #1
Pyromania

What Amiga soundcards support AHI the best?

What Amiga soundcards support AHI the best?

Which ones are support under Amiga OS 3.9 & 4.0

Thanx
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 October 2007, 16:28   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The best is such a subjective term.

The Delphina (lite) has often been considered the best because of it's DSP capability and MPEG offload drivers.

Concierto for the PIV has long been heralded as the worst as it's little more than a DAC. But I like mine.

The cheapest, with the best quality output are without a doubt the PCI sound cards, Soundblaster Live!

However as Mediator DMA is not handled in OS4.0 who knows what the RTA drivers there are??
Old 30 October 2007, 16:36   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I dont know why, but I have always wanted a Toccata sound card...

I have a prelude and a sound blaster, i just want someday to say I have a toccata... even if the Delphina is better....

Now't wrong with a Concierto, it was one of the first sound cards I heard in use on the Amiga... and going from 14khz Paula to the Concierto is music to ones ears
Old 30 October 2007, 16:38   #4
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@Pyromania

I have the Concierto working under AHI 6 in OS3.9, and the Toccata needs a specific >= toccata.library v12 to work which I haven't gotten around to.

As to which one supports AHI better, wouldn't most of them (if they have an AHI driver) support pretty much the same features except different sample rates? Not an expert on AHI, but maybe some are able to support more AHI channels too? (especially hazy about the channels part as it may only depend on CPU....)

@Zetr0

Yes the Toccata is indeed a nice card, though not the best of the best. There was a thread on here somewhere not too long ago about the best soundcard for the amiga.

@alexh

I think there may be one or 2 amiga sound cards with "better" output than a soundblaster live.

@thread

Best bet is to browse the listings on the 2 amiga hardware sites:
http://amiga.resource.cx and http://amigahardware.mariomisic.de/index_e.html
You will come up with some good SNR, sample rate and data bits and AHI compatibility for some sound cards.

EDIT:
The Repulse soundcard and Kato Development Melody 1200 Pro (+ optional Digital I/O module) both seem good, and are both listed as having AHI drivers.
EDIT2:
I believe the SNR of 95dB quoted on the hardware site for the toccata may be incorrect, as the manual lists no SNR, but lists the dynamic range as 95dB. Anyhow, the Melody 1200 is claimed to be SNR 108dB.

Last edited by Calgor; 30 October 2007 at 17:07.
Old 31 October 2007, 16:23   #5
Pyromania

Soon NewTek's high quality and DSP based Video Toaster Flyer card will support AHI.
Old 31 October 2007, 17:03   #6
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Send a message via MSN to adonay
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The best is such a subjective term.

The Delphina (lite) has often been considered the best because of it's DSP capability and MPEG offload drivers.

Concierto for the PIV has long been heralded as the worst as it's little more than a DAC. But I like mine.

The cheapest, with the best quality output are without a doubt the PCI sound cards, Soundblaster Live!

However as Mediator DMA is not handled in OS4.0 who knows what the RTA drivers there are??
actually os4 may support dma hack if you use the elbox native 68k drivers in os4 as far as i understand after talking to a betatester back in the time . However i may be wrong as i never tried or seen done .
Old 05 November 2007, 08:49   #7
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@Pyromania

Can the Toaster Flyer work without the Toaster? Did you find out what other features are also possible with AHI? And what quality would the sound be exactly?

I suppose if the DSP as able to take as much load as possible off the CPU then great.
AdSense AdSense