English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 13 November 2007, 01:09   #141
Amilord
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Paris / France
Posts: 26
@All

But IF it is released, dont you think it is a good move for every PPC boards owner ?
Amilord is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 November 2007, 01:32   #142
killergorilla
Lesser Talent
killergorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Age: 36
Posts: 7,924
No.

Because anyone who treats their 'customers' (I put it in inverted commas because customers normally have products to buy) with this little respect doesn't deserve anyone's money.

All the PPC board owners should club together, buy one copy and then spread it all over the net as free downloads.
killergorilla is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 03:02   #143
adonay
active amiga 1200 user
adonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Either Haugesund /Norway or Vaxj Sweden
Posts: 192
Send a message via MSN to adonay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@adonay

for your sake, i really hope they release it on the 30th this month....
.
No worries i can always use both systems with 3.9 although that ppc card only has a 040 makes it somewhat boring compared to the 060 at 80mhz for native operation...

Haven`t really been using a gfx system in a long time so both upgrades are well exiting at the time beeing.
adonay is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 03:07   #144
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
@adonay

an 060@80mhz... thats a dream..... i have a 66mhz one here... and i also have an LC060@75 i want to try eventually
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 15:39   #145
Mikey_C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Barnet/London
Age: 52
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
No.

Because anyone who treats their 'customers' (I put it in inverted commas because customers normally have products to buy) with this little respect doesn't deserve anyone's money.

All the PPC board owners should club together, buy one copy and then spread it all over the net as free downloads.
What an irresponsible statement to make, way to go tight wad, you really know how to motivate the people behind the updates.

For your information, at least Hyperion have generally, delivered on their promises. Don't tar every company in the amiga community with the same brush.
Mikey_C is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 15:40   #146
adonay
active amiga 1200 user
adonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Either Haugesund /Norway or Vaxj Sweden
Posts: 192
Send a message via MSN to adonay
I know i cant wait to get it working together with a mediator and fastata. I bvelive it will be blazing fast with a voodoo 3 . aga and quake 1 even impresses me at 80mhz pitty that apollo card only handles 64mb fpm Oh and the chip i use is the E41J mask
adonay is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 15:48   #147
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_C View Post
What an irresponsible statement to make, way to go tight wad, you really know how to motivate the people behind the updates.

For your information, at least Hyperion have generally, delivered on their promises. Don't tar every company in the amiga community with the same brush.
What?! The Amiga is commercially dead since 1997!!! They should change all names related to the brand "Amiga". This PPC/Amiga One hardware/software has nothing to do with the good old Amiga we're talking about on EAB, only some hardcore freaks needs this stuff for their own sake, but not for anything useful.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 13 November 2007 at 15:59.
Retro-Nerd is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 15:53   #148
killergorilla
Lesser Talent
killergorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Age: 36
Posts: 7,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_C View Post
What an irresponsible statement to make, way to go tight wad, you really know how to motivate the people behind the updates.

For your information, at least Hyperion have generally, delivered on their promises. Don't tar every company in the amiga community with the same brush.
It's hardly irresponsible, everyone with a PPC board is old enough to make their own decisions, I'm sure they can decide whether to listen to me or not.

Granted Hyperion have at least promised to release something.

Just a shame that it's still next to useless to anyone who didn't already have the hardware lying around.

Enjoy OS4, please do.
killergorilla is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 15:53   #149
Mikey_C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Barnet/London
Age: 52
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
What?! The Amiga is commercially dead since 1997!!! They should change all names related to the brand "Amiga". This PPC/Amiga One hardware/software has nothing to do with the good old Amiga we're talking about on EAB, only some hardcore freaks needs this stuff for their own sake, but not are anything useful.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but by the same token then Classic Apple Mac's have no relation to The new Mac OS X and its a bad move and while we are at it, A PC is no longer a PC because we should have all stuck to the DOS prompt and not gone for this Windows thing.

Dead Platforms stay dead, those that are alive evolve, the amiga is bearly alive but it is moving on. If you can't accept it, that's your problem.
Mikey_C is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 15:58   #150
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,745
Well, this is a oxymoron!!! Amiga OS 4 for classic, but you need a PPC card.

http://www.vesalia.de/

Of course i can live with it. I'm using Windows for my work and a 68k Amiga for my pleasure.
Retro-Nerd is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 16:05   #151
Mikey_C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Barnet/London
Age: 52
Posts: 219
But it has windows! surely you want to be running a dos prompt? What about Wordstar? Supercalc 5? great applications, windows is just too modern surely?

BTW, How can it be an oxymoron? Apple changed from 68k to PPC in order to deliver better performance for their users.
Surely the Amiga can do that too?
The only difference I can see is that unlike the Classic 68k apple macs you can get an upgrade for a classic Amiga that will allow you to run a newer PPC incarnation of one of the best Operating Systems ever.
Can't be bad can it?

@KG Promised and delivered. True OS4 has slipped back, but then if Microsoft can slip thier OS's surely Hyperion can too?
Mikey_C is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 16:09   #152
killergorilla
Lesser Talent
killergorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Age: 36
Posts: 7,924
Windows runs on a $100 system that you can buy in the shops today.
killergorilla is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 16:17   #153
Mikey_C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Barnet/London
Age: 52
Posts: 219
Indeed, it does, but sometimes if you want to do something different or stand aside from the crowd, you have to pay that bit more.

Amiga OS is a small volume OS, it has virtually no userbase, (if you compare it to the existing Windows userbase) so, unfortunately you are gonna have to pay a premium. After all, you cannot buy a brand new mac for $100 either.

Windows is excellent at what it does, but AOS has the fun factor.

Edit: Well, for me it does.
Mikey_C is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 16:24   #154
killergorilla
Lesser Talent
killergorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Age: 36
Posts: 7,924
I personally don't find Operating Systems fun. Never have, never will.

For me it's like getting fun out of the OSD on the TV.
killergorilla is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 16:33   #155
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 45
Posts: 10,745
I accept of course your "fun factor", but there is no serious use of a native Amiga PPC system.

It can't compete, because the masses uses XP, Linux or Mac OS X. For for the 68k downward compatibility you have to use this Just-in-Time emulator, right?
Retro-Nerd is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 16:39   #156
adonay
active amiga 1200 user
adonay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Either Haugesund /Norway or Vaxj Sweden
Posts: 192
Send a message via MSN to adonay
Amiga os will never be a mainstream os no mather how you look at it. This os4 is just the same as our 3.x in that fact it will only be of plessure for a special audiance such as us . Even it is a pitty it is with out hardware in that regard a shame really. I gues we just have to see what happnes . If it gets out or not. As too say we can not buy a good os 3.x classic capable real amiga system in any store for 100$ either so the argument would be only for special interested. AS for me i hope there will be some otther hardware for thoose otthers that would be interested in it . If you dont care for os4 then why bother using your energy talking negative about it .. Personally i think hyperion has done a good job with os4 classic as i have seen the beta running on classics before "2 years ago" . I am not sure i will replace it with my main amiga though as i love classic games and demos ...Just my opinion
adonay is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 16:48   #157
Mikey_C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Barnet/London
Age: 52
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I accept of course your "fun factor", but there is no serious use of a native Amiga PPC system.

It can't compete, because the masses uses XP, Linux or Mac OS X. For for the 68k downward compatibility you have to use this Just-in-Time emulator, right?
Yes, you do, what's your point?

As I recall, you had to do the same when Mac changed from 68k to PPC. Heck even Windows XP has built in emulation/compatibility mode.

@KG

I'm afraid I don't think you get the whole "Amiga" thing, guess it must be cos you are too young to understand.
Mikey_C is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 16:53   #158
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
@Mikey_C

common m8, no need for personal attacks. its just an opinion let it go m8 dont get bogged down with it.

KG does a shit load of effort for the Amiga community, personal attacks are a sure sign of losing an argument.
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 16:53   #159
killergorilla
Lesser Talent
killergorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Age: 36
Posts: 7,924
Maybe you are right I'm too young.

I'm old enough to know not to respond to that flame bait you patronising git!
killergorilla is offline  
Old 13 November 2007, 16:55   #160
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
if its worth owt, I am not to old to flame
Zetr0 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KGWHD - KG's WHDLoad Requests - Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec 2007 killergorilla project.Killergorilla's WHD packs 128 23 October 2010 19:31
DENEB, Running it under OS4 Classic AmigaFun support.Hardware 8 22 September 2010 21:48
OS4.0 classic fastfilesystem Bamiga2002 support.WinUAE 2 29 July 2009 14:20
Wanted: OS4.0 Classic scrappysphinx MarketPlace 1 07 March 2009 17:51
OS4 classic installation orange support.Apps 15 09 March 2008 16:38

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.34670 seconds with 12 queries