English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 18 October 2007, 18:23   #1
nikvest
Vertigo User

Problem with ClassicWB...

I have a problem... I have installed ClassicWB a while ago, and set up games with NewIcons. It all worked perfectly, and after that I did not use it for a while. Today, when I tried to use it again, I realized that half of my icons are not visible, while approx. half are... To make it even more complicated, when I move folders to virtual WB3.9 installed, I see all icons perfectly, but I cannot run some games due to 3.9 incompatibility.

What happened???? Can anyone help me?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 October 2007, 18:35   #2
thomas

Probably you used OS3.9 to snapshot the icons. OS3.9 can read newicons, but when it writes an icon, it automatically converts it into OS3.9 format. Now if you switch back to OS3.1, it can no longer read the icons because they no longer are in NewIcons format.

There is a program on Aminet which can convert OS3.9 icons back into NewIcons format: http://aminet.net/package/util/sys/Convert35Icon
Old 18 October 2007, 18:36   #3
YoJoe!
Amiga Enthusiast

This icon situation sounds very complicated!
Old 18 October 2007, 18:54   #4
nikvest
Vertigo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Probably you used OS3.9 to snapshot the icons. OS3.9 can read newicons, but when it writes an icon, it automatically converts it into OS3.9 format. Now if you switch back to OS3.1, it can no longer read the icons because they no longer are in NewIcons format.

There is a program on Aminet which can convert OS3.9 icons back into NewIcons format: http://aminet.net/package/util/sys/Convert35Icon

Well, yes I did.... I guess I will just have to do everything from beginning...
Old 19 October 2007, 00:12   #5
PeterK

Quote:
Are you sure, Thomas? I would say, that you can snapshot NewIcons under OS 3.9 without any risk! They are not automatically converted into OS 3.5 icons by workbench.library, but this would happen, if you try to save NewIcons with IconEdit. IconEdit displays a warning message concerning this risk already when loading NewIcons. The reason for the missing icons could be a ChipMem shortage. Try FBlit...?? This will not happen with OS 3.9, because it loads the icons into FastMem.
Old 19 October 2007, 08:30   #6
thomas

Quote:
Are you sure, Thomas?
Not entirely :-)

Quote:
I would say, that you can snapshot NewIcons under OS 3.9 without any risk!
Maybe snapshot is safe. But there is another situation which can convert icons by accident.

Quote:
IconEdit displays a warning message concerning this risk already when loading NewIcons.
Yes, I don't think of IconEdit. There is another program which does it without a warning. Perhaps RAWBInfo (= Icon / Information from the menu).

I am sure it can happen by accident.
Old 20 October 2007, 01:09   #7
PeterK

Quote:
Yes, I don't think of IconEdit. There is another program which does it without a warning. Perhaps RAWBInfo (= Icon / Information from the menu).

I am sure it can happen by accident.
Yes, there is another program which can destroy all the icons NewIcon info: It's the tool 'CondenseIcon' from Stephan Rupprecht which can also do batch processing:
DESCRIPTION CondenseIcon is a small tool for os3.5+ which can reduce the size of .info files by removing any NewIcons- and old/planar icon information from the file. It automatically converts NewIcons to os3.5 color icons.
Old 20 October 2007, 04:11   #8
nikvest
Vertigo User

All right, a new problem... I wanted OS3.9 icons so I copied Setpatch, icon.library, newicon.library and workbench.library to my new system. So, now... I see all icons, but while OS3.9icons look great, my original icons are color inverted.

HELP. What now?
Old 20 October 2007, 21:02   #9
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikvest View Post
All right, a new problem... I wanted OS3.9 icons so I copied Setpatch, icon.library, newicon.library and workbench.library to my new system. So, now... I see all icons, but while OS3.9icons look great, my original icons are color inverted.

HELP. What now?
Which version of icon.library? And is the newicon.library the one which comes with OS 3.9? What is your OS? WB 3.1?
Edited!
I tried to reproduce your setup with WB 3.1, icon.library 45.1 or 45.4.6 and with workbench.library 45.127 or 45.131 and it works even with MWB-icons and Fullpalette. No problems with GlowIcons, NewIcons, MWB- or OldIcons! But you should use the newicon.library of OS 3.9 and don't install the NewIcon package over this configuration. Also don't copy OS 3.9 workbench.prefs or palette.prefs to ENVARC:sys, but fullpalette.prefs. FPPrefs should come after IPrefs in your startup-sequence. Just in case that the font colors get messed up, open Prefs/Fonts and save.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WB31+GlowIcons.png
Views:	200
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	15031  

Last edited by PeterK; 21 October 2007 at 00:20.
AdSense AdSense