English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 June 2008, 00:57   #21
Siggy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
r

I can see where you're coming from, but that's not really what bounties are about. I'm sure if the AmiZilla people had access to competent coders, then they'd be putting them to work on a Mozilla port rather than send them off to work on AWeb or whatever. Bounties are designed to offer potentially interested coders an incentive to realise the aims of the task that has been set. Obviously the money on offer hasn't been able to achieve that in the case of AmiZilla. If it's just a matter of giving the bounty to a current Amiga browser in development, then I'd be choosing IBrowse or OWB over AWeb. I've used them all (on real Amiga hardware), and IBrowse and AWeb ever since they were released. AWeb is quite a ways behind IBrowse at present and OWB looks more promising in terms of the progress that has been made in the short time it has been available. AWeb has had a lot of updates since going open-source, but the advances over V3.2 (the last commercial release) have been modest at best. Nuff said.
I don't think you do see where I'm coming from - it has nothing to do with any bounties - or monies. It has to do with 'If I am a developer - and I want to advance the community - what is a better choice... an 7 year old project thats gone nowhere, or a current project that is'

Once again - Ibrowse has no place in the argument because it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. And if there are other browser initiatives that are progressing - I'd suggest developers go to them over a project that has shown nothing but a pipe dream. I'm about choosing a project that looks like it will get finished.

As for my comments on porting - they come not from seeing what has been ported, but from porting and attempting to port things to the Amiga. Both back in the 90's and during the days when Amithlon showed promise. It is a general statement that the porting of something from a modern OS to the Amiga is not as simple as many non-developers seem to think it is.

If it were - well we'd have seen some progress with Amizilla.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 June 2008, 01:00   #22
Pyromania

@Siggy999

Perhaps I was a bit harsh on my AWeb smilies, but I have always thought it was a bit weak by web browser standards. Maybe I should have just kept silent.
Old 07 June 2008, 01:18   #23
Siggy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
@Siggy999

Perhaps I was a bit harsh on my AWeb smilies, but I have always thought it was a bit weak by web browser standards. Maybe I should have just kept silent.
I don't think it's very great either. That's what I think a few people aren't getting.

To put the shoe on my own foot - I'm writing (in my own words - a crappy little) game for the Ami. I'm keeping in touch and company with others who are doing the same. If I were to say another of these developers efforts were laughable when I hadn't released a demo of my own design yet - I'd expect the same thing to be pointed out to me.

And by the same token if there were another game that were further along than my own project, and another assembly coder wanted to 'joint a game project' - I'd totally expect someone to say 'here join this one... it's in a basic playable state'
Old 07 June 2008, 01:20   #24
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

The Big Bill Show has been an endless source of amusement to me over the years - a part of my interest in things Amiga. Sadly I think it has had a very negative impact on the platform.

You could say 'what platform?'. I agree, but on decent hardware it's a nice OS you know...
...some functional apps would be nice while you're doing the retro-thing.

Comparison?

RiscOS has had a Firefox port for years, still has active commercial hardware & software development (just) despite having never developed the interest the Amiga has...
Old 07 June 2008, 22:43   #25
HenryCase

@Pyromania
Will the developers of the OS4 version (if they get something going) get the bounty money if they use OS4's Cygwin implementation?
AdSense AdSense