English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 September 2007, 20:57   #1
laffer
Zone Friend

Wings - anyone have any tips on how to play this game well?

I just started playing Wings again and it's been very long since the last time I played this game.

Anyway, I find the game very hard - aiming is hard as hell and I struggle to get down those planes.. and a lot of the time, the damn CPU kills them before I have the chance to do so.

Are there any good techniques or something to make this game easier? All I do is pretty much follow the pilots head around and try to aim for anything that comes into sight (well red planes obviously).

I could use some help with this one, I'm really horrible at flight games even if they're as "arcadey" as this one.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 September 2007, 21:35   #2
Kristian95
A4000T owner :)

Once a plane is going down, if you didn't give it the killing blow, shoot at it several times, you will hear it explode after some more hits, do this enough and the kill will actually be credited to you hehehe

Another nasty trick is to shoot a few holes in your friends planes, this way they tend to let you have an edge against the huns

Btw, I have experienced that running a WHDLoad version of Wings on a 030 40MHz A1200 gave rise to the dogfights being sped up compared to playing on a standard A500 (this made the dogfights harder for me).
Old 19 September 2007, 21:43   #3
Thalion
Amiga Collector

You should play this game on a plain A500 config. On everything newer it runs too fast.

The best tactic is to pick out one enemy and then chase it. Try to get behing it and the aim a bit above the Plane.

Thats everything i can say. Just play it and you'll get better.
Old 19 September 2007, 21:50   #4
laffer
Zone Friend

Thanks for the advice. The thing is that I need to play it at an accelerated speed as I want to record and I don't want the video to be choppy like the game is on a normal A500. Perhaps I'll try shooting a little at my teammates then.. there is no penalty for this?

Also - there are no special manouvers or anything I should do? Like looping and all that stuff.. they list a lot of stuff like that in the manual but is there really a point in doing any of those?
Old 19 September 2007, 23:25   #5
Kowalski_GT-R

well, there were actually some cheats.

found this:
http://home.flash.net/~rayearle/Wfiles/Wings.html

this:
http://www.gamespot.com/amiga/action/wings/hints.html

and this:
http://amigagames.com/gage/w/wings.html

have fun!

Old 20 September 2007, 00:18   #6
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
I don't think looping is necessary. Just like any dogfight, it's all about approaching your opponent from the right angle, either on his tail or on his side. You should also get accustomed to not losing him; remember to look where your pilot's head turns. If you head towards that direction but still don't see him and your pilot looks the other way, it usually means you're flying too low. Gain some altitude and lower the nose of your plane now and then to scan the area. Approaching an enemy airplane from above is always better than approaching from below.

Another essential tip many people are unaware of: In balloon missions, always destroy the A/A guns before you do anything else. Yes, it is possible.

With a fighter pilot for a father, I must have SOME useful genes in me!

I never figured out what to do in strafing missions. After the first year when things get difficult, my plane is always shot down no matter what strategy I try.
Old 20 September 2007, 09:16   #7
Kristian95

regarding shooting at friends, there is no penalty unless you actually down them

as for strafing, it's all about trying again and again, sometimes tenacity and luck play a big role... That leads me to a bug I discovered in the game way back when I played it on my original A500.... I completed the game with nothing but successful missions (I can tell you there was a particular trench strafing mission which took me days of continuous playing to complete successfully).... when you complete the last mission it was _always_ recorded as a failure no matter what.... now I call that a bug hehehe ruining my perfect record even if I downed my one and only opponent!!
Old 20 September 2007, 13:21   #8
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I haven't played this game in a very long time. Shame on me.

Some tips I can add that others haven't:

I never used to loop, but I do remember doing lots of horizontal 360s to get behind enemies and to search for enemies.

When strafing, stay at the bottom of the screen, but fly high. That way, you can shoot things that are far off. I also think you are alittle harder to hit when you are high.

If you are going down in flames, try and take out another plane or balloon with you. You will die but it's fun.

If you are going down, and your pilot isn't dead, you can always try and land. It's an iffy affair - you have to fly parallel to the ground, edging down slowly, and gently touch with the earth.

The levels containing 5 allied planes versus 20 Luftwaffe are some of the most chaotic battles I have ever had the pleasure of participating in on any game, period. You'll love it when you reach them.
Old 20 September 2007, 13:45   #9
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
I could use some help with this one, I'm really horrible at flight games even if they're as "arcadey" as this one.

We had a big play-a-thon on comp.sys.amiga.games in July I think. You might find some useful tactical stuff by googling there.

But yes, as somebody said, I'm all for scaring off your buddies, and hammering an already doomed Fokker to get the credit. Lust for glory I think.

Speed wise - and I don't have Jedi reflexes - it played fine on my 060.
For people who prefer things slower there are tooltypes that can rduce the speed in WHDLoad.

Early in the game your skills are very low so survival is harder, but keep an eye on your status and you'll see your skills go up. Mind you the enemy improves too.

The handling is a bit bizzare so if you are trying to out turn an opponent, you seem to turn a lot quicker if you just bank over a few degrees rather a 90 degree job, and what's more for if the guy goes the "other" way and you are already banked over - don't worry about rolling over and banking the other way too, in "Wings Aerodynamics" (tm) its quicker and more deadly just to push forward on the stick and you'll turn back and bring him back into your sights very quickly.

Hope that made sense.

I personally would re-play missions when I wasn't satisfied with the result, so it takes longer to get through the game, but you come away with a lot more kills. Cheating of a kind, I suppose, but darn it some of those missions are pretty challenging and I wanted another attempt. Also, my upstart colleagues kept on netting all the kills, and you can't have that, now can you.
Old 20 September 2007, 23:25   #10
Kristian95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus
Speed wise - and I don't have Jedi reflexes - it played fine on my 060.
For people who prefer things slower there are tooltypes that can rduce the speed in WHDLoad.
Cool, I'm such a newbie with WHDLoad, could you enlighten me about these tooltypes and how to use them to make Wings closer to A500 speed ??

*EDIT* dumb typo
Old 21 September 2007, 00:48   #11
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

You could try "Nocache" for starters.
Old 21 September 2007, 17:43   #12
laffer
Zone Friend

I just tried playing it on normal A500 settings as someone here suggested and damn is it a lot easier! I used to have huge trouble taking down planes but now it's fairly easy.

I can't play it like this though as I want to record and I want higher FPS in the video but after I'm done recording, I'll play the game over again with normal A500 settings as it's a lot more fun to play it that way.
Old 21 September 2007, 18:15   #13
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
I can't play it like this though as I want to record and I want higher FPS in the video but after I'm done recording, I'll play the game over again with normal A500 settings as it's a lot more fun to play it that way.

Girl!
Old 21 September 2007, 22:26   #14
Kristian95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
You could try "Nocache" for starters.
I think I once tried it, and it didn't work, but I am not sure... so could you please refresh my memory as to how I run the WHDLoad game using that tooltype, then I can test it again
Old 21 September 2007, 22:38   #15
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Right, well select the Wings icon, choose the Information option in the Icon menu in Workbench, add "Nocache" to the icon's tooltypes and click on Save, then run the game
Old 22 September 2007, 07:48   #16
laffer
Zone Friend

Does anyone have any tips on how to kill "Der Rittmeister"? It's mission 70-something and this guy is pissing me off! He keeps ascending at a much faster rate than I can (if I try to follow him, my engine keeps dying).
Old 22 September 2007, 09:52   #17
Kristian95

Quote:
Does anyone have any tips on how to kill "Der Rittmeister"? It's mission 70-something and this guy is pissing me off! He keeps ascending at a much faster rate than I can (if I try to follow him, my engine keeps dying).
The trick is always to attack him from above, this way he will descend to get away from you and thus you should be able to get him before sunset
Old 22 September 2007, 09:53   #18
Kristian95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Right, well select the Wings icon, choose the Information option in the Icon menu in Workbench, add "Nocache" to the icon's tooltypes and click on Save, then run the game
Great, I'll try that as soon as I have time to bring my Miggy up and running (Sunday)... thanks for helping me out I'm such a newbie even if I had an A1000 and an A500 back in the days
Old 22 September 2007, 10:39   #19
laffer
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian95 View Post
The trick is always to attack him from above, this way he will descend to get away from you and thus you should be able to get him before sunset
Got him! Before sunset too! However, there were still a few other planes left so I didn't finish the level before sunset.

EDIT - here you can see a little clip of how I finished the level.. as you can see, I'm not good at aiming.. but when the game runs at that speed, aiming is pretty difficult I think!

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by laffer; 22 September 2007 at 11:21.
Old 22 September 2007, 18:10   #20
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Got him! Before sunset too! However, there were still a few other planes left so I didn't finish the level before sunset.

EDIT - here you can see a little clip of how I finished the level.. as you can see, I'm not good at aiming.. but when the game runs at that speed, aiming is pretty difficult I think!

[ Show youtube player ]
Hi there; I adored Wings when I first got my own Amiga, and have since moved on to less ancient and creaking flight sims, but seeing your thread in passing and watching your video gave me the urge to fire it up and try it again!

One thing which will help you enormously, and does work in Wings is Deflection Shooting; in your video most of your kills are from directly behind the target as they fly level and straight ahead, and your approach towards them as they turn tends to lag... by that I mean if they are turning and moving left, your nose tended to be pointing behind the enemy, to their right. What you need to do is point your nose ahead of where they are, on the inside of their turn; this allows you to close the distance quicker (as you are turning a tighter circle if your nose is ahead of them) as well as take the Deflection shots... fire to where they will be when the bullets have travelled the distance between you and them.

Doing that, despite not playing since the late 90s, I managed to kill both craft in the first mission before the AI could get a sniff... If I remember rightly, the way to handle the faster planes which run (as in your video) was not to keep following them (You are setting yourself up for their quicker mates to attack you) but to simply do a full 360 turn, away then back again, as they ran off. That way the distance between you quickly increases enough for the AI to turn as well and come back for a shot at you, as well as breaking the line of sight for anyone on your tail. Don't fly straight at them though as they come back, as they'll fill you full of holes, but fly offset (they are on the left or right of your screen) and either then turn in at the last second to take the shot, or turn behind them as they pass to start the turning fight again.

Also, don't worry too much about the shoot 'em up sections, you can't die there
AdSense AdSense