English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Are todays Games just Retro Games with a Facelift?
Yes, todays Games are just Retro Games with a Facelift. 15 83.33%
No, todays games are unique and have _really_ evolved from yesterdays games. 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05 February 2002, 09:11   #21
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Bound-breaking...

was definitely HALF-LIFE in 1999.
Nothing stolen afaics, just excellent gameplay, excellent graphix quality and design.
Thousands of mods have been "born" since then, but nothing beats the original! (exception: Opposing Force)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 February 2002, 02:21   #22
Miggy2TheMax

Re: Graphics revolution, gameplay evolution

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen

....[snip]

But generally I have to say that I am disappointed about the quality of games I have played. They all feature fantastic sonix and gorgeous eyecandy but gameplaywise they are not better than their far-related predecessors in the Eighties. [/B]

Well summed up Tim! That is exaclty how I see it.

andreas: Half life.. hmm .. will have to check it out sometime.
Old 06 February 2002, 08:09   #23
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Wink

Lets not forget something else from Amiga gaming....
1.Turn on Amiga & TV/Monitor
2. Put in the Disk & play!!

PC-Pray your sound & GFX card are compatible for the game,
Hope you don't need a later Direct X which'll render older PC games suddenly incompatible or stuff up windows & require a re-install.
And lastly-if the above doesn't work, download a 50Mb + patch for a couple of hours & hope that works!!
Old 06 February 2002, 10:36   #24
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Here are some great PC games that some of you guys might actually try!

System Shock 1&2
Thief 1&2
Grand Theft Auto
Carmageddon
Unreal Tournament
Age Of Empires 2
Civilization 2
Outlaws
Realms Of The Haunting
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces and Mysteries Of The Sith
Half-Life
Deus Ex
Terra Nova
Battlezone 1&2
Outwars
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division
Aliens vs Predator 1&2
Black And White
Severance
Serious Sam
Soldier Of Fortune
Project IGI
Counterstrike
Tribes 2
Team Fortress Classic
Ultima Online
Ultima 7 Part 1&2
No One Lives Forever
Star Trek: Voyager: Elite Force
Old 06 February 2002, 11:17   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

No such thing as an original modern game!

Ok, Doom, Half-Life.... original? Lets go back further, Wolfenstein?

Nah...... All of these kind of games are a derivative of one game...... PacMan!

All these games are are 3D versions of PacMan, Kill the ghosts=kill the badguys/aliens, pick up a power pill=pick up extras, collect all the pills to finish the level=collect everything to finish the level.

It doesn't matter what game you think of, with only a very few exceptions, nothing is original.

As for original games, and how software companies like to stick at what works..... Lemmings nearly didn't get released by Psygnosis at all....... Typical Psygnosis couldn't see beyond the graphics...... turns out it was their biggest ever game release!

Software companies are not interested in being original, they just want to copy other games because they know it will sell.

Its only like the people that created Half-Life that actually make a difference, small team, almost back to the days of the backroom bedroom programmer turning out an amazing game, where software company doctorate dictates how it should look and play.
Old 06 February 2002, 12:13   #26
Drake1009

I think I heard Rollercoaster tycoon should've been made by one man. It had gotten great success in spite of the fact that there had been plenty of similar games up till now.

Game quality isn't about team size or money pumped into it but rather wether the creators had an idea and burned for that idea.
Old 06 February 2002, 16:17   #27
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Ok, Doom, Half-Life.... original? Lets go back further, Wolfenstein?

Nah...... All of these kind of games are a derivative of one game...... PacMan!

All these games are are 3D versions of PacMan, Kill the ghosts=kill the badguys/aliens, pick up a power pill=pick up extras, collect all the pills to finish the level=collect everything to finish the level.
*LMAO*
:laugh That's really a "little" bit far-fetched, don't you agree guys?
If you want it that way, you might as well call "Evil Twin" a 3D version of ROGUE
Old 08 February 2002, 17:14   #28
Tim Janssen

Happy Off-topic: User support

I must say the publisher of Evil Twin, UBI Soft, has an *excellent* user-support. Here is a little warning for everyone who wants to play this game under Windows XP: the OS blocks the keyboard so the game is unplayable (unless you have a joystick). When I posted this problem a couple of hours ago at the UBI Soft support site, I got immediately a response. It appears a bug which occurs only in XP is guilty (why am I not surprised?). The problem can be overcome by configuring the game on CD and launching it from harddisc. A patch is underway.

Anyway, I am glad there are still softwarecompanies out here that actually are caring about the individual. I canít wait enjoying this mighty platformgame
Old 08 February 2002, 21:12   #29
Akira

I'd add another category: A lot of games today TRY to be like the old ones, but fail horribly in the process, because they 'enhance' them with uneeded crap.

About innovative concepts, yes, there are a few, but even back then, we didn't see much innovative stuff, did we? The last most innovative concept I can think of is Lemmings.

I don't like most of today's games
Old 08 February 2002, 21:41   #30
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Hi folks - I'm new to the board, so please excuse me if I just jump right in, but I found the topic interesting.

I'd have to agree that most of today's games are just rehashes of retro games, and only rarely does a new game introduce something that really feels innovative. For me, Populous was an example of a game that broke new ground when it first came out, and of course it has spawned plenty of imitators. It's always been easier to implement a good idea than it is to come up with one in the first place. There's nothing wrong with reusing a proven concept of course, but the trick is to do it in such a way that it improves or expands on what has come before instead of merely copying it.

The last game I can think of that really introduced something that seemed novel to me was Messiah on the PC, where your character is an absolute weakling, but has the ability to "possess" the body of any other character he encounters (sometimes drawing a hostile reaction from any witnesses). This have been done before but I'd never seen it, and it kept me from writing off the game as "just another FPS".
Old 09 February 2002, 00:27   #31
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
...where your character is an absolute weakling, but has the ability to "possess" the body of any other character he encounters (sometimes drawing a hostile reaction from any witnesses). This have been done before but I'd never seen it, and it kept me from writing off the game as "just another FPS".
Yes, you can do this in Paradroid
Old 09 February 2002, 00:35   #32
Drake1009

Messiah did implement puzzles based on the different people well though. People only being able to access or use certain things, and in a review I read about a macabre part where you had to run several scientists into a meat grinder. I don't recall having to do something like that in paradroid. But then I never was good at that game.
Old 09 February 2002, 00:48   #33
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, then...Paradroid meets Creatures?
Old 09 February 2002, 01:13   #34
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Looks like I'm going to have give Paradroid another try - I don't think I ever really gave it much of a look before.

As for Messiah, the "meat grinder" part was definitely different. Before I figured that part out, I'd even "possessed" a few folks, had them dive into the grinder, and bailed out of their bodies before they were toast. Now there's something you don't do everyday ...
Old 09 February 2002, 10:23   #35
Drake1009

Well I don't know if I'd call messiah cute. Creatures is cute, even when massacreing the poor little critters. (Just wish I had one ot two more seconds. He always makes it out to get that chainsaw)
Old 10 February 2002, 09:17   #36
a1studmuffin

IMHO, the only games you could call original would be things like Pong and Asteroids - ie. the very first electronic interactive arcade games.

Given that technology has been evolving at a steady pace, its natural that games evolve with this technology - and when you look at just about ANY game it has stemmed from a title before it with perhaps one or two new features.

So, really, there are hardly any games that are truly original in the sense of the word, they've just taken inspiration from older games and built on them with a little more technological flexibility.

Obviously the only things that are "original" are the new features - ie. the changeover from 2D graphics to 3D graphics a la Wolfenstein, the changeover to point-and-click adventures from text-based adventures etc. etc... games are like any other art form - 90% inspiration 10% perspiration...

(well, actually it's more like 90% inspiration 90% perspiration, since programmers have to put in 180% effort to make a bloody game ... pesky bugs, how dare they infiltrate my perfect code)

The one good thing (and bad thing - depends which way you look at it) about games these days is their development time. A decent game can take up to 18 months to make (I believe Gran Turismo 3 took around this long) which (hopefully) means that developers looking for a quick buck will be deterred - there's nothing worse than cheap clone games that offer nothing new and are just looking for a quick buck. I suppose the obvious flaw to this argument is 18 months of development time can still produce a pretty run-of-the-mill game. A crap game with 100 vehicles to choose from and 50 levels isn't much use to anyone if it sucks :-)

Old 10 February 2002, 13:39   #37
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
Hooooo Games Lack originality

I must admit I think that most games now just lack originality, some of the earlier release games had good quality and content, most games now just seem to be aimed at "GOOD GRAPHICS" and that's all and then they seem to require 2 or 3 patches.
Old 10 February 2002, 15:19   #38
a1studmuffin

Quote:
Originally posted by CPC464
I must admit I think that most games now just lack originality, some of the earlier release games had good quality and content, most games now just seem to be aimed at "GOOD GRAPHICS" and that's all and then they seem to require 2 or 3 patches.
I definitely agree - the genres of FPSes and RTSes and RPGs have been so well established now that they're really not going anywhere significant these days. The only real difference now is how gory the deaths are, how many polys the car is made out of, or how realistic the weapon-modelling is - a real pity. It's almost like the novelty of 3D graphics hasn't quite worn off yet, and everyone just gets caught up in the 3Dness and loses sight of the playability of the game.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that games like Project IGI and Halo, while not doing much new for FPSes in terms of storylines, are at least bringing us new environments - there's nothing as satisfying as driving around an entire island in Halo in a jeep and then going into a base, coming out again, driving some more along the coastline, etc. etc.

While essentially it's still the same game as any other, it's nice to be outdoors at least.

I can forgive the patches problem a little more though - the complexity of modern games has increased sooo much since older games that it's probably a necessary evil, although I do definitely agree that the game SHOULD have been well tested before it got released.

Patches that fix multiplayer problems and gameplay bugs are just sheer laziness - patches that fix unforeseen problems like server cheats/hacks etc. are more understandable, as no-one could have really seen them coming even with a lot of testing.

If there's one thing my Computer Science degree has taught me, its that testing and debugging is PARAMOUNT!

Modern programmers are so damn sloppy. Myself included

//fixed the quote. If you need to quote someone when replying, just click on the Quote button uder their message. - TG

AdSense AdSense