English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05 October 2007, 19:19   #101
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
But, I mean, who downloads pre-made MUI configs?
The same few people who care about customising their Windows box to an 'MUI' level I would imagine.
P-J is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 October 2007, 19:23   #102
rsn8887
Registered User
rsn8887's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
It is becoming more common again nowadays to just have translation files (whether standardized or homebrewed) instead of creating localized binaries. But I wouldn't be too sure it was ever that much more common on the Amiga than it has been on platforms that are still alive since.
It was totally common and really a standard on Amiga. I remember the aminet was just constantly being filled with these localization files for all kinds of programs. This was cool since any user could just easily localize a program. He would simply translate the words in the english locale file (I think ?!?! I never did it myself).
rsn8887 is offline  
Old 05 October 2007, 19:34   #103
rsn8887
Registered User
rsn8887's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
I suppose X-chat may be to your liking. At least most of the points on that list made me think of it. Although I personally prefer the sober look of mIRC or possibly the simplicity of a console mode client (nirc, irssi, etc., although I personally only used nirc much).
Sorry for quoting via multiple posts, but I just tried out X-Chat!
X-Chat looks like it's absolutely great!
Thanks for the hint!
rsn8887 is offline  
Old 05 October 2007, 19:56   #104
killergorilla
Lesser Talent
killergorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Age: 36
Posts: 7,924
I use xchat, it's a good bit of software.
killergorilla is offline  
Old 05 October 2007, 20:36   #105
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 41
Posts: 9,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Well I use Ultra-Edit, I find it fast, feature-rich and awesome.
Me too KG, great program indeed
DamienD is offline  
Old 06 October 2007, 07:41   #106
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
It isn't sad. Even I like to muck about with it occasionally

Have you thought about a virtual PC? VirtualBox is like a virtual PC you can run on Windows. You can then install Linux in there just to muck about with and carry on using Windows. It doesn't cover all of your needs but it's a sure-fire way not to hose your system.

It's not ideal, so eLowars suggestion is the closest you'll get I think.
I use Virtual PC on my 867 mhz G4, running WIndows 95 and XP. For the latter, it is pretty slow, but when i get the new iMac this month, I will be able to run Windows at normal speed, using Paralells and Boot Camp.
Fred the Fop is offline  
Old 06 October 2007, 13:20   #107
Retro1234
5150

Retro1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sycophantazia
Posts: 3,775
I think ill have to give both those solutions a go and VirtualBox has been on my list of tools to try out for a long time.

Just for fun they should do a Linux Distro that can boot under Windows.

@P-J I dont know if you play about with Win3.11 but have you tryed Calmira - When things go wrong I always like to be able to resort to Dos.

I think its Crippling that Big Linux distros dont have support for a simple Fat32 Install/Boot It would make like a lot more simpler for integrating - Although ill have do some more research before i give up on that idea.
Retro1234 is offline  
Old 06 October 2007, 17:57   #108
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Just for fun they should do a Linux Distro that can boot under Windows.
Keep searching, I'm sure there is more than one. I can't think of any names right now :/

Quote:
@P-J I dont know if you play about with Win3.11 but have you tryed Calmira - When things go wrong I always like to be able to resort to Dos.
That's been on MY list of stuff to install for ages too (Calmira that is)
P-J is offline  
Old 06 October 2007, 19:40   #109
OddbOd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 40
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Just for fun they should do a Linux Distro that can boot under Windows.
They did, it's called coLinux but to be brutally frank I wouldn't bother as the majority of Linux "dabblers" chicken out and go back to what they know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
I think its Crippling that Big Linux distros dont have support for a simple Fat32 Install/Boot It would make like a lot more simpler for integrating - Although ill have do some more research before i give up on that idea.
It's for the same reason toilets don't come with airbags fitted, technically it can be done but it just doesn't make sense. Actually that's not entirely true there are some situations where such a setup is desirable though the only one I can think of is on Pocket PCs where you have no control over the initial boot process and must use Windows CE based loader to kick you into the Linux kernel.

Linux only feels alien because you've gotten used to DOS and Windows eccentric ways, do you honestly think that a lifetime UNIX user would have have any easier time getting used to MS operating systems?
OddbOd is offline  
Old 07 October 2007, 04:32   #110
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer
Minuous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Canberra/Australia
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
It was totally common and really a standard on Amiga. I remember the aminet was just constantly being filled with these localization files for all kinds of programs. This was cool since any user could just easily localize a program. He would simply translate the words in the english locale file (I think ?!?! I never did it myself).
Why are you using the past tense for this? clearly you haven't looked at Aminet lately, the same situation applies today...
Minuous is offline  
Old 08 October 2007, 01:37   #111
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
They did, it's called coLinux but to be brutally frank I wouldn't bother as the majority of Linux "dabblers" chicken out and go back to what they know.

It's for the same reason toilets don't come with airbags fitted, technically it can be done but it just doesn't make sense. Actually that's not entirely true there are some situations where such a setup is desirable though the only one I can think of is on Pocket PCs where you have no control over the initial boot process and must use Windows CE based loader to kick you into the Linux kernel.

Linux only feels alien because you've gotten used to DOS and Windows eccentric ways, do you honestly think that a lifetime UNIX user would have have any easier time getting used to MS operating systems?
Yeah, many Linux-ites have switched to or also use a Mac since 2001.
These same people laughed at Mac OS back before the Unix conversion.
Everyone respects Unix. People literate in Unix find getting to the root of OSX and customizing (to an extent) it quite simple.

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 08 October 2007 at 05:08.
Fred the Fop is offline  
Old 09 October 2007, 14:45   #112
Steril707
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
Yeah, many Linux-ites have switched to or also use a Mac since 2001.
These same people laughed at Mac OS back before the Unix conversion.
Everyone respects Unix. People literate in Unix find getting to the root of OSX and customizing (to an extent) it quite simple.

I am by no means a forum regular here, but lurking for a few years now and then there, so i don't really know what's up with you.

But, what's yours and P-Js drive to piss on peoples subjective preferences here? It seems you are not loving the Amiga, and as you stated yourselves, you "moved on" some years ago? So why bother hanging around here, if you don't feel anything for these old machines?

Sorry, i really don't understand this.
 
Old 09 October 2007, 15:20   #113
BippyM
Global Moderator

BippyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nottingham, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 8,621
I have had to edit another 2 posts, any more flaming and i'll close this thread!

PM's being sent!
BippyM is online now  
Old 09 October 2007, 17:37   #114
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Why are you using the past tense for this? clearly you haven't looked at Aminet lately, the same situation applies today...
I don't want to speak on his behalf but I'm guessing for the same reason I would. Not using an Amiga as a main machine anymore means it's easier to describe everything as if it is in the past tense.
P-J is offline  
Old 10 October 2007, 13:54   #115
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I am by no means a forum regular here, but lurking for a few years now and then there, so i don't really know what's up with you.

But, what's yours and P-Js drive to piss on peoples subjective preferences here? It seems you are not loving the Amiga, and as you stated yourselves, you "moved on" some years ago? So why bother hanging around here, if you don't feel anything for these old machines?

Sorry, i really don't understand this.
Well, lurk and search my posts more. If you see, I am a big fan of old games. Game released now, save for a few NDS and GBA titles, mean nothing to me. I think I also made it clear earlier in this thread, that I don't "love" computers. Maybe you do, but that's your problem.
Fred the Fop is offline  
Old 10 October 2007, 17:02   #116
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 43
Posts: 9,769
<User caution: the follow includes a lot of ramble and some exceptional waffle at times. please approach with caution... and take regular breaks (Zetty.)>


Soooo this is the thread that there was a global message about....

AHA! (i knew i would bump into is sooner or later) alas now all the flames have died down it seems.. but fear not, I am sure it will arise again in another thread soon, such is the nature of forums....

I am a collector of OS's (which i do have very many, and also used many) they all have good points (some are hard to find) and bad points (which are easily noted).

truth be said.... some are OK... some are overly complicated.... some are shit.... some are shittier.... and some just suck the big one.... but once in a while there are some features that are "a nice touch" or "thats a better way of doing it" I will never understand apples no-right click.... big ergonomic F in the A there.

There are benefits in most OS's in truth, this also included the monolithic XP.... jury is still out on VISTA...

I cannot get my head round the need for 640MB or ram on startup.... once you have played with QNX and neutrino core kernals (very VERY small) with a WIMP OS based in under 100k then .... still baffled with VISTA..... not to sure where that direction is going for MS.

Linux..... sigh..... if only there was a unified Graphics Driver system.... with a more powerful than OpenGL commercially supported graphics API!.... then it might begin to to take the gamers away from the MS platform.... but at the moment.... its relegated to "mildly... if only" interest

For me, if only there was a proper Real Time OS (RTOS) like Amiga OS / QNX / BeOS these OS's seem to just fly or glide, admittedly you need some intuition but as well all know Amiga OS is pretty damn simple to use, even command line!

alas there is not a single OS that has all the answers and I believe Fred is right one shouldn't invest one's emotions in a computer, however saying this.... i believe i might change his tune after a severe spanking on a game or to

its easy to do though, we humans are a strange bunch, especially the minority we have here, the irony of arguing vested emotional interest on an Amiga Forum kinda seems and exercise in futility. these machines, if you will, are bound in the most part in our youth, what they mean is to try and retain some of it, albeit a most a thread of our past. however for the most balanced of us its easy to fall into fandom, however admittedly some do kinda take it blindly beyond the point of reason, or even reasonable un-reason.. these "fanatics" are generally not going to change their fundamental belief no mater how you flame them.

in some ways learning an OS isn`t about you and a computer.... its about you and a team of developers, sometimes it clicks...... some times despite best efforts (sorry BeOS) it doesn't

There are many things to incorporate into ones life, an ethos, a code or method of doing something even an outlook... and this is true of OS's in general, I think it is in this compatibility that users cease being a user and computer, and start being a single productive unit as a whole.

just a Zetty POV
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 10 October 2007, 18:50   #117
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
its easy to do though, we humans are a strange bunch, especially the minority we have here, the irony of arguing vested emotional interest on an Amiga Forum kinda seems and exercise in futility. these machines, if you will, are bound in the most part in our youth, what they mean is to try and retain some of it, albeit a most a thread of our past. however for the most balanced of us its easy to fall into fandom, however admittedly some do kinda take it blindly beyond the point of reason, or even reasonable un-reason.. these "fanatics" are generally not going to change their fundamental belief no mater how you flame them.
If you look back through my post history, I've said this almost verbatim on a few occasions and been laughed at or accused of stirring up a hornet's nest. Funny, eh?

I'll keep trying to use reason though. Although reasoning about emotions is like describing a colour through the medium of dance. Pointless and nearly impossible.

Last edited by P-J; 10 October 2007 at 19:04.
P-J is offline  
Old 23 October 2007, 21:57   #118
woody.cool
Registered User
woody.cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northampton, England
Age: 35
Posts: 118
Eek Omg!

I cannot believe this thread is still going

Throughout this thread there's been a history of slagging people off for making their opinions. As a new comer to this forum I felt quite offended by the way I was being treated down to expressing an opinion, not even a serious one at that!

However, with all this now behind us (and time for be to naff off and reflect my retaliation/behaviour) I'd like to take this opportunity to make an apology to anyone who I offended and/or threatened - I just saw red and went off on one. Maybe I need to think before I post retaliating comments.

Anyway, personally I think this thread should be locked, because even without my presence, there has still been a lot of uncalled for flaming of members just for posting an opinion.

PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD NOW
woody.cool is offline  
Old 24 October 2007, 02:36   #119
Pyromania
Moderator

Pyromania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
I use Virtual PC on my 867 mhz G4, running WIndows 95 and XP. For the latter, it is pretty slow, but when i get the new iMac this month, I will be able to run Windows at normal speed, using Paralells and Boot Camp.

Don't forget to also check out VMWare's Fusion, I like it better than Parallels.
Pyromania is offline  
Old 24 October 2007, 12:47   #120
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody.cool View Post
I cannot believe this thread is still going
It wasn't. It was dead for two weeks before you bumped.
P-J is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS-UAE 2.2 - Amiga emulator for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and *BSD FrodeSolheim News 3 18 March 2013 14:38
FS-UAE 2.0 for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and FreeBSD FrodeSolheim News 6 01 November 2012 00:25
KryoFlux - now supporting Windows, Mac OS X and Linux mr.vince News 15 18 May 2011 22:10
MindGuard For Amiga & Linux CodyJarrett Amiga scene 0 12 April 2003 12:57
Linux 68k & Amiga mtb support.Apps 7 10 September 2002 22:30

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.24199 seconds with 11 queries