English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 30 August 2007, 10:33   #21
oneshotdead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: asteroid belt
Posts: 273
Linux to me was, is, and probably always will be an impregnable fortress. I lack the knowledge required to set something like that up.

I am a dumbass gamer who hates Windows/Intel, but sticks with it regardless... I play hardcore games, I need Wintel. It's that simple. I have always followed the hardcore, bleeding edge games: platform is irrelevant.

The Amiga OS always seemed to me elegant and exciting, even though I never even came close to tapping the power (too young and too dumb). I used Amiga for games and for art/animation.
oneshotdead is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 August 2007, 11:07   #22
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGAZ View Post
Ever heard of GUI customization, "brotha"?
Dude, I have seen example and they are fairly nice, but using Mac OSX, I am pretty spoiled.
Fred the Fop is offline  
Old 30 August 2007, 11:50   #23
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
Dude, I have seen example and they are fairly nice, but using Mac OSX, I am pretty spoiled.
Shut up about OS X now I've used it extensively and can categorically say I'd rather use Linux or Windows.
P-J is offline  
Old 30 August 2007, 13:55   #24
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad
AMIGAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Age: 40
Posts: 1,286
Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
Dude, I have seen example and they are fairly nice, but using Mac OSX, I am pretty spoiled.
hehe, amen to that brotha'! I'm a Mac-whore to.....my pimp daddy is a Mac Pro 2x Quadcore 3ghz Xeon
AMIGAZ is offline  
Old 30 August 2007, 14:12   #25
killergorilla
Lesser Talent
killergorilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Age: 36
Posts: 7,924
My PC is well out of date, I haven't upgraded it in well over 5 years. It gets the job done. It's Windows because it gives me the most options.

I don't use Linux because I don't like it.

I don't use a Mac because I can cheaply upgrade this PC whenever I like and not worry too much about it.

I use my Amiga for games and for laughing at how bad my Dpaint art is from 15 years ago.
killergorilla is offline  
Old 30 August 2007, 14:16   #26
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop
Methanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Roman Verulamium
Age: 51
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Quick plug: after a long converation with another forum member it was obvious I had forgotten what a pig Amithlon is to install. ( The most conventient way to modern/powerful classic OS use ) So I'm writing an 'install guide'.
I'll post the link when nearly done - give it a go, after a few days of tearing your hair out you'll be suprised what our favorite OS can do with a bit of grunt behind it.
That was me. As soon as I have moved house I'll be assembling my Amithlon machine (I bought new 100% compat hardware) and hopefully I'll be running. I don't think the guides are the problem, just finding compatible hardware and the lack of info on that area!
Methanoid is offline  
Old 06 September 2007, 11:43   #27
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
Yes, it's surprising (and sad, actually) that the old Amiga Workbench still has many advantages over other "modern" operating systems. See my list of Amiga Advantages (... and I need to update the list because I've found many more). Even the supposedly glorious OSX has some annoying "features" and limitations compared to Amiga.

The most tragic thing of all is that operating systems will probably get worse, not better. Many of the things I wish they'd change will never change because that's they way they've done them for years and the method has now become "standard procedure". They just build more and more features which operate in the same annoying way.
Yes, but after posting your list of mostly useless things that the Amiga does well and going on about how your OS is so good, you forgot to mention that there's nothing you can do that we can't on Windows/Linux/OSX and there are literally hundreds of things we can do that you can't with our supposed 'inferior OS'. Oh, and by the way, stuff is standard procedure because that's the best way to do it.

Zealotry won't change that fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
It's like hot-rodding an ugly, crap car. It doesn't matter how many body mouldings, fins, layers of paint or fuzzy dice they add, it's still an ugly piece of shit.
I'm sorry? I forgot for a second which one of us was using dead and obsolete hardware and software. I'm fairly sure it's you.

I think it is pretty cool that people still use their Amiga machines to do stuff and I can see the 'magic'. But don't pretend for a second it's better than even buying a Dell shitbox and stuffing Linux on it. That Dell shitbox is still light years ahead of your Amiga, and you're just kidding yourself by thinking otherwise.

Oh, and don't pull the virus/spyware argument either. If you learnt to use Windows in the same detail you learnt to use AmigaOS you wouldn't have a problem. If you're not technically adept that's not the OSes fault.

Quote:
Even the supposedly glorious OSX has some annoying "features" and limitations compared to Amiga.
Glasshouses + stones = bad. I don't like OS X, but while it may have some faults, it is, once again, capable of doing things you could only dream of on your OS.

Last edited by P-J; 06 September 2007 at 11:59.
P-J is offline  
Old 06 September 2007, 13:26   #28
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, Made in Norway
Age: 45
Posts: 827
P-J... are you sure that you're talking about Operating System, and not the underlying hardware?

Because the HARDWARE of even your shitty Dell, although not as intelligently working together as the Amiga's, is way faster, and THAT is the reason even Win95 can produce results we can't see on the amiga without some very very clever coding tricks. (and fooling the eyes into believing we're seeing the same things).

The Operating System itself... there's only two things on the top of my head that the amiga lacks, and that's memory protection and virtual memory.

AmigaOS3.9 does everything I need it todo, however, the hardware is too slow for me to run WoW on my A1200. THAT isn't the OS' fault. That has to do with outdated hardware.

Please differensiate between the OS and the Hardware.... evne he worlds best OS won't run without anykind of hardware. AmigaOS3.9 is, IMO, just as good as OSX and WinXP. it just happens to be intelligeently coded to make the most out limited resources, while OSX and XP/Vista has a gazillion more resources and the coders doesn't need to worry, so they just throw out ideas and say "get a powerful enough CPU and you may be able to run it"
Doc Mindie is offline  
Old 06 September 2007, 13:45   #29
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie View Post
Please differensiate between the OS and the Hardware.... evne he worlds best OS won't run without anykind of hardware. AmigaOS3.9 is, IMO, just as good as OSX and WinXP.
There's no denying that AmigaOS3.9 is a good OS. However there is not a single reason to use it when almost all the alternatives are cheaper, run on cheaper equivalent hardware and can do significantly more.

Why differentiate between the OS and hardware? The four or five major players run on the most popular and cheapest hardware in the world. AmigaOS is confined to expensive hobbyist hardware. Who cares if it's not the most efficient hardware in the world? It's still 3 or 4 times what you can buy for the same money in 'Amiga World'.

If you use AmigaOS, you pay ridiculous money for the hardware, then for the OS and even then you can't do as much as an x86 + OS box can.

At the end of the day, you're changing the argument to suit you. AmigaOS runs only on overly expensive hardware and you can't change that fact.

Hence the argument can only ever be OS + hardware.

Oh, and plus software too. And OS is made by it's software. Even if an OS is awesome, with a small footprint and technical amazing, without the software it is NOTHING.

You can argue that an OS is better till you're blue in the face, but an OS on it's own is pretty useless.

Last edited by P-J; 06 September 2007 at 13:50.
P-J is offline  
Old 06 September 2007, 14:04   #30
matthew
Zone Friend
matthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: England
Age: 40
Posts: 108
Send a message via ICQ to matthew Send a message via AIM to matthew Send a message via MSN to matthew Send a message via Yahoo to matthew Send a message via Skype™ to matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
...And OS is made by it's software. Even if an OS is awesome, with a small footprint and technical amazing, without the software it is NOTHING.

You can argue that an OS is better till you're blue in the face, but an OS on it's own is pretty useless.
You're right, I used to use Xubuntu Linux but all my favourite programmes were written for Windows, so I went back to using XP.
matthew is offline  
Old 06 September 2007, 14:06   #31
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew View Post
You're right, I used to use Xubuntu Linux but all my favourite programmes were written for Windows, so I went back to using XP.
Well, that's it
P-J is offline  
Old 06 September 2007, 15:08   #32
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg
mr_a500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 786
@P-J

If it is your intent to appear ignorant and thoroughly piss me off, you've succeeded. You do not understand the point of my posts, then say mindbogglingly stupid things like, "If you learnt to use Windows in the same detail you learnt to use AmigaOS you wouldn't have a problem. If you're not technically adept that's not the OSes fault." Where the fuck do you get that I'm not technically adept?? I am a professional ERP consultant/programmer/systems engineer. I have over 20,000 hours (probably much more) of work experience with the crap known as Windows. I started programming when you were still shitting your diapers. I started using Windows when you were learning the alphabet.

Quote:
Yes, but after posting your list of mostly useless things that the Amiga does well and going on about how your OS is so good, you forgot to mention that there's nothing you can do that we can't on Windows/Linux/OSX and there are literally hundreds of things we can do that you can't with our supposed 'inferior OS'.
Well, duh. I never said there aren't hundreds of things a modern OS can do that Amiga can't. There are probably thousands of things. Did you read my explanation at the top of what you call my "list of mostly useless things"? I clearly state that it's a "list of design/philosophy advantages" (meaning the way it operates, not what it canrun) and that I wish other OSes could also have. I want OSX to have some of the things Amiga had. This is not zealotry. I'm not talking hardware! I don't want Macs to have the Amiga OCS chipset. I want the Mac OS (and Windows) to incorporate some features Amiga Workbench had.

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, stuff is standard procedure because that's the best way to do it.
No it's not. It is standard procedure because it has been done that way since the beginning and then they keep it that way. Take the Windows procedure of "F1" for Help. Why is it like this? Because Lotus 1-2-3 first used F1 for Help, then Microsoft decided to also use F1 for Help because users were used to using F1. Then it became standard procedure. Is F1 for Help the "best way to do it"? Hell no. A dedicated "Help" key is, but there will never be a Help key on PCs because it's too late. It's standard procedure to use F1. (This is just one simple example I could think of at the moment. Don't start calling me a "Help key zealot".)

Quote:
Oh, and don't pull the virus/spyware argument either.
Nowhere in my list do I mention viruses. Spyware is listed way at the bottom of the list under "Other misc. advantages".

Quote:
Hence the argument can only ever be OS + hardware.
No, we are talking about OS advantages, not complete computer systems. We are not comparing what an Amiga can do vs. what a Mac/Windows/Linux computer can do. We are talking about the way it does them. It's about OS features, not what it can run. Get it?
mr_a500 is offline  
Old 06 September 2007, 15:15   #33
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
This has only one way of going which is a flamewar. I'll bow out now because I think you've lost credibility through just being plain angry, but you've done a good job making a fool of yourself.

Bye for now
P-J is offline  
Old 06 September 2007, 16:33   #34
blade002
Zone Friend
blade002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
This has only one way of going which is a flamewar. I'll bow out now because I think you've lost credibility through just being plain angry, but you've done a good job making a fool of yourself.

Bye for now
I just had a little chat with you on XChat PJ, and although we got along quite well and we had a civil discussion, your comments prior to Mr_A500 going off his nut were pretty much borderline "I dont want to say what i really think, but i will word it in a way that almost comes across nice, but doesnt exactly, and then blame him for his anger, because hey hell its not me who got off on the wrong foot " cocky.

Word things a little better, because at the end of the day you "know" you can discuss "better".

And i "do" get Mr_A500's point, since all he is trying to say is that the Amiga did things that he considers crucially better, and i for one after using multiple OS's am inclined to agree with. Im not saying that the Amiga can do everything Linux and Windows can ( due to all you have said ) but that still doesnt escape the fact that it was still a fine OS that was to me as well as Mr_A500 superior in so many other ways, but thats not saying its "now" the best, because NO operating system is THE Best, its just matter of how much shit you have to put up with, with has nothing to do with hardware and software support at the core of it.

Yes there is no software support for OS4, yes there is no hardware support, yes there are no games and all this places it in the shit, we all agree on that, but thats not his point, so the sooner we get around that the better.

Cheers

Last edited by blade002; 06 September 2007 at 16:45.
blade002 is offline  
Old 06 September 2007, 16:50   #35
blade002
Zone Friend
blade002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 2,443
Thankyou for the compliment. I too found you open to disussion, and that is important, so i think in this discussion or this thread i initially created that there are 2 sides to this argument.

1: Your argument that the Amiga OS is dead in the water due to no support in any which way, NONE!.

2: And Mr_A500 and my self's argument that its not about the support, but completely to do with how well the Amiga OS ran and does run in many areas compared to Modern OS's.

These are 2 separate issues, that can viewed as conjoined if you choose to view it in that way, but seen separately there are merits for both points.

( Oh your post disappeared PJ ???? ) .... thats why i couldnt quote it !.. hehehehe... you bitch )
blade002 is offline  
Old 06 September 2007, 16:53   #36
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!
P-J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Warwickshire, England
Age: 37
Posts: 1,144
Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
( Oh your post disappeared PJ ???? ) .... thats why i couldnt quote it !.. hehehehe... you bitch )
I deleted it because it's a bit pointless arguing with those above you ^^^ I would have left the part in about you being good conversation but I forgot it was there

Most of the 'veterans' here know better than to argue with the blinded Amiga zealots, but I forgot once again.

Last edited by P-J; 06 September 2007 at 16:59.
P-J is offline  
Old 27 September 2007, 01:34   #37
Pyromania
Moderator

Pyromania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,785
I hear you blade002, Amiga still kicks ass in more than one way after all these years.

Pyromania is offline  
Old 27 September 2007, 01:59   #38
DDNI
Targ Explorer

DDNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 43
Posts: 5,090
Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Is anyone running Linux on their BPPC/CSPPC?

If so please tell us how...
DDNI is offline  
Old 27 September 2007, 09:56   #39
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot
Fred the Fop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Versailles
Age: 49
Posts: 2,802
You know, this "amiga advantage" shit is about as useful as arguing:

"Hey, all you had to do was hand crank those model T's.
They had great reliabilty, and man were they cheap. Nowadays, these computer chipped, airflow valve turbo fuel injection blah blah blah could use a rumble seat blah blah..."

Yeah, so what?
Fred the Fop is offline  
Old 27 September 2007, 10:48   #40
DDNI
Targ Explorer

DDNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 43
Posts: 5,090
Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Fred you are right of course, but we dont give a shite, we are blinkered retro looking Amiga fan boys!!

Your first girlfriend may well be a crumbly 55 year old 300lb granny of 4, but hey dont you still have "da memories"?
DDNI is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS-UAE 2.2 - Amiga emulator for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and *BSD FrodeSolheim News 3 18 March 2013 14:38
FS-UAE 2.0 for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and FreeBSD FrodeSolheim News 6 01 November 2012 00:25
KryoFlux - now supporting Windows, Mac OS X and Linux mr.vince News 15 18 May 2011 22:10
MindGuard For Amiga & Linux CodyJarrett Amiga scene 0 12 April 2003 12:57
Linux 68k & Amiga mtb support.Apps 7 10 September 2002 22:30

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.27861 seconds with 11 queries