Zone Friend

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...es-of-a-child/
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 April 2011, 11:46   #82
onkelarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Brilliant

My nostalgia moments reach further than the Amiga era. I can get sentimental over Sega Megadrive/Genesis games, PSX, PS2 and early 360 games. IMHO nostalgia grows over time. Though later in time nostalgia will be less strong probably, with the period of our youth always being the strongest.

On top of that, we should not forget that we witnessed the start of a new era, with just as much or even more impact than the industrial revolution. And the Amiga, for me, took center stage
Old 30 April 2011, 21:31   #83
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Yeah, make the games hardl˝y playable as the mid 80 counterparts when everyone got frustrated by the null playability and high difficult.*Great gurianos anyone?.
Also, i don't see the point in bashing save games, if you think that this is bad, then don't save, and try to finish the game with one play. Good luck with that in fallout3 or new vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Development time for games on the Amiga ran over the course of a couple of years and in some cases 5 years of development time. Just because the game only required 1 MB of Ram does not mean it didnt take alot of work to produce something special due to the fact that it was that exact limitation hardware wise and memory wise that required alot more work to make it stand out from the crowd, but these coders normally came from the 8 bit scene, which was a scene that focused more on gameplay due to even further restrictions. When you dont have the graphics to sell your latest piece you need to create a game that is enjoyable to play, hence that talent and mindset transfered over to the Amiga.

The problem with PC games is that you can save at ANY time, thus making it easy to just save your way through it every 5 seconds, and although i understand that the size of the game dictates the need for these saves, it makes the game far less of a challenge than any C64 or Amiga game ive played in the past. This dellusion though that constant saving is absolutely necessary in "all" games has been proven to be false in games like Hitman on the PC which i thought was a brilliant game and was a TRUE challenge!!.

Deus-Ex is the kind of game that required saving due to its non linear nature and depth of play, so there are exceptions to the rule ( damn GREAT game too, loved it to bits ), but generally speaking, games have no real challenge now.

( BTW - you may say that if you do not want to save then just dont!. But we are all creatures of habit and we are going to use it, but i would rather be forced not too. )
Old 30 April 2011, 21:53   #84
Photon

I long back to the days when blade002 wrote this post. Good days they were, every one of them!

Anyway yeah, by all means keep your computer-collection so your kids can at least try it if they want.
Old 01 May 2011, 01:20   #85
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Funny reading old posts. Still don't get the new generation of gaming
Old 01 May 2011, 02:42   #86
BigFairy

only games i enjoyed last decade were battlefield 1942 and battlefield 2 on PC

Everything else was very very yawn.

Ive held off getitng a ps3 as the games are soo uninspiring.
Old 01 May 2011, 03:55   #87
Photon

Paul_s:
I think the new games are all right, at least the ones that are new

BigFairy: Funny you should say that - I'm still blinking in incredulity at the set of games for N3DS I saw a month back. They're still going on with sequel 10 of silly uninteresting Jap games!? (in 2001 quality 3D). That coupled with Nintendo's sad developer treatment makes it unbuyable to me. With new developers, new ideas and new games it could have been the next train to awesometown, but the games catalogue gives me the creeps.

Both Wii and N3DS have the potential to be excellent platforms for new ideas, but as long as Nintendo are the way they are... (note how I wanted to say they have their head up their ass but refrained from doing so)

I don't see any contradiction between embracing new stuff and enjoy the old, though. Perhaps some day pixels will cease to be magic to me but it's not happened yet despite antialiasing and flashy graphics-bling

And remember that ideas can be new regardless of platform. So there's no contradiction between a platform being old and doing new things on it. It may take a lot of work to make it happen, and I'll concede it's an effort to get your mind in the right place and believe in your ideas, but that's at least why I code Amiga OCS. The games domain is the one most likely to innovate in (with the result that the software makes you turn your Amiga on again, I mean).
Old 01 May 2011, 05:41   #88
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
Yeah, make the games hardl˝y playable as the mid 80 counterparts when everyone got frustrated by the null playability and high difficult.*Great gurianos anyone?.
Also, i don't see the point in bashing save games, if you think that this is bad, then don't save, and try to finish the game with one play. Good luck with that in fallout3 or new vegas.
The way you wrote this just has "big mouth" written all over it. Did i not state that there are particular games where constantly being able to save would be needed? I may not have said it that way but the implication on my part was there.

There has been shit games in every decade of gaming but then there have been great games and i found games during those times more of a challenge than games now.

You've cherry picked one game in your comment and made it the catalyst for everything that came out during that time. Re-read what i wrote and let logic dictate your response.
Old 01 May 2011, 07:15   #89
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Re-read what i wrote and let logic dictate your response.
Who knows - maybe it will take him another four years
Old 01 May 2011, 10:01   #90
wizard66
FPGA Replay inside A590

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Read Here lips what is she saying ?????
Old 01 May 2011, 10:17   #91
onkelarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard66 View Post
Pretty obvious:

"W00t? Your Natami?"
Old 01 May 2011, 11:38   #92
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Quote:
for f***s sake can we just goto bed, the Natami is going to be two more weeks
Old 01 May 2011, 16:21   #93
_ThEcRoW
Amiga Geek

Doh!. Just realized that the thread was 4 years old.*i tought it was recent lol. Blade, there are many games like great gurianos that make it unplayable, at least without recurring to cheats(pokes, trainers, etc...). When a game need that to finish it, then my interest vanishes in that game.
Maybe in four years things will change???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Who knows - maybe it will take him another four years
Old 01 May 2011, 19:32   #94
Photon

Quote:
I am a professional lip-reader and I can hear her saying, "Will you fly me?" clear as day. I recognize her too, it's that Mandy chick the Westlife guys dug.
Old 02 May 2011, 14:38   #95
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Everytime something new happens or some clever bod makes a new bit of hardware I want to time travel back and then show it off.

I can see it now! heading to my mates house, mini-mig under my arm and an sdhc card full of adf's ready to setup next to his new a500 lol.
Old 27 June 2011, 22:15   #96
Photon

Regarding the original post, remember that you can still "push the boundaries of you". Sounds like some barmy quote from Dr. Phil (in his infinite bald patch of wisdom) but I think it's not that uncommon that many put silly limits on what they're supposed to be doing and don't pay enough attention to what they'd really like to be doing, if they gave it a chance. For me, it's a daily struggle. (<-- Also not a quote from Dr. Phil.)

Nike said, "Just do it."

I say, "You only get one shot at doing - whatever - you - like, and that is your life."

Last edited by Photon; 27 June 2011 at 22:17. Reason: Jesus X Christ, an infidel hyphen!
Old 27 June 2011, 22:30   #97
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Sounds like some barmy quote from Dr. Phil (in his infinite bald patch of wisdom)
"Dr. Phil, I keep hurting myself and others. I don't know what to do anymore."
"Well my dear, then you -need- to stop doing that!"
"Oh my god, I am saved!"
Old 27 November 2011, 17:16   #98
s2325
Zone Friend

Saw today: http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/183...stransform.jpg
Old 27 November 2011, 20:00   #99
Sektor 83

I wish I had all the Amiga resources I have available now, but back then!
Old 27 November 2011, 23:17   #100
CDTV1991

Back in the day, decent home computers were still new, with the Amiga being an affordable and popular machine used by a lot of young people.

Nowadays computers and computing devices in general are just appliances and tools to get stuff done, no real fun in themselves.

I used to like "using" a computer, now its more about just getting a task done.

now its more about what they do, rather than what they are.

many would say this is better, some would say its less fun
AdSense AdSense