English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08 January 2008, 02:08   #21
Ray Norrish
Registered User
Ray Norrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cheshire, UK
Age: 50
Posts: 300
Send a message via ICQ to Ray Norrish
Yea well, the whole digg thing didn't work out. I feel a bit cheap trying to cajole people to "digg" it.

My biggest question was "where was the money?" lol
Ray Norrish is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 January 2008, 02:12   #22
Ray Norrish
Registered User
Ray Norrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cheshire, UK
Age: 50
Posts: 300
Send a message via ICQ to Ray Norrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
yes found it, but the current link for this project is:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/for....asp?jn=472138

I hope your version won't be for when our children grow up (as this guy in the link probably intends to)...
Just to make it clear, I`m finishing this I, Robot remake first before I start on CC. It will be quite a challenge - not to remake it really, but to make it in "today's style", which is far more demanding that just a remake. I`m quite a perfectionist for these things as well, so it would have to be worthy. Also, I`d require some assistance (modelling, texturing etc.)
Ray Norrish is offline  
Old 08 January 2008, 11:11   #23
stainy
Zone Friend
stainy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Concord, NC, USA
Age: 46
Posts: 1,386
Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Hi Ray... sterling work so far been watching on the sidelines with interest

What`s the possibility of these remakes being ported? to... say..... the GP2x?
stainy is offline  
Old 08 January 2008, 13:49   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 11,940
If you need to get in contact with David Lowe, the original musician for Carrier Command, I got talking to him last year. He now writes chart music with his daughter, Holly Jazz Lowe, who is a lead singer & musician in her band "Like a thief".

Dave "UncleArt" Lowe was one of the first games musicians to produce studio quality music for video games. They were usually bundled as an Audio Cassette tape together with the game.

Shame that it was the pre-CD era, even with a decent cassette deck, exotica were not able to preserve the music as good as it could have been

Maybe UncleArt has the studio tapes?

Last edited by alexh; 08 January 2008 at 14:00.
alexh is offline  
Old 08 January 2008, 18:42   #25
Angus
Amiga Games Database
Angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South West England
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish View Post
I haven`t paid too much thought to the planning yet, but I would want to expand the game in certain areas: more vehicles, more AI on the islands etc. Why not have a think about some ideas for expansion?

There was a big Carrier Command thread in comp.sys.amiga.games around November and while it is also one of my favourites, a slight flaw is that once you suss out that 7 or 8 air-to-ground assassin missiles can take out an HQ, you have no real motivation to use any of the other cool equipment - the Walrus vehicles, the virus bombs, off shore Carrier bombardments etc. Why bother if you can do it all quicker and more easily with a Manta or two.

With a tweak or two (or several) this could be addressed, improving the tactical depth and presumably gameplay.
Angus is offline  
Old 21 February 2008, 23:02   #26
Ray Norrish
Registered User
Ray Norrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cheshire, UK
Age: 50
Posts: 300
Send a message via ICQ to Ray Norrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
There was a big Carrier Command thread in comp.sys.amiga.games around November and while it is also one of my favourites, a slight flaw is that once you suss out that 7 or 8 air-to-ground assassin missiles can take out an HQ, you have no real motivation to use any of the other cool equipment - the Walrus vehicles, the virus bombs, off shore Carrier bombardments etc. Why bother if you can do it all quicker and more easily with a Manta or two.

With a tweak or two (or several) this could be addressed, improving the tactical depth and presumably gameplay.
Indeed.. surely they had playtesters back then as well ?
Perhaps if you could reverse the carrier up to the island sufficiently, but in the remake, the islands wouldn't be as simple as the original - there would be undulating terrain as well as the islands being considerably larger. The carrier arsenal would only be capable of establishing a beach-head in my plans, so that would never have been an issue. Perhaps the mantas could venture far enough inland, and maybe the a tomahawk could take out the odd hospital, but all these things need to be taken into account when tackling a game of this potential.
Ray Norrish is offline  
Old 21 February 2008, 23:05   #27
Ray Norrish
Registered User
Ray Norrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cheshire, UK
Age: 50
Posts: 300
Send a message via ICQ to Ray Norrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
If you need to get in contact with David Lowe, the original musician for Carrier Command, I got talking to him last year. He now writes chart music with his daughter, Holly Jazz Lowe, who is a lead singer & musician in her band "Like a thief".

Dave "UncleArt" Lowe was one of the first games musicians to produce studio quality music for video games. They were usually bundled as an Audio Cassette tape together with the game.

Shame that it was the pre-CD era, even with a decent cassette deck, exotica were not able to preserve the music as good as it could have been

Maybe UncleArt has the studio tapes?
Well, that's certainly interesting and something to explore. However, I`ll be getting this current remake completed by.. oh.. the summer? So I`ll probably be back and getting a few interested people together to lay out some plans for the game around then.
Ray Norrish is offline  
Old 21 February 2008, 23:07   #28
Ray Norrish
Registered User
Ray Norrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cheshire, UK
Age: 50
Posts: 300
Send a message via ICQ to Ray Norrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by girv View Post
You did the Blood Money music?
*bows down*

I have it on my (popular make of mp3 player) Hope that's OK

BTW, what do you use to develop these games ?
Sorry for the late reply etc, but I moved house and didn't get reconnected for ages!

The Robotron remake is done with Delphi and the I, Robot is using Dark Basic Pro
Ray Norrish is offline  
Old 21 February 2008, 23:10   #29
Ray Norrish
Registered User
Ray Norrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cheshire, UK
Age: 50
Posts: 300
Send a message via ICQ to Ray Norrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
Hi Ray... sterling work so far been watching on the sidelines with interest

What`s the possibility of these remakes being ported? to... say..... the GP2x?
I would say what is a GP2x before answering?
Ray Norrish is offline  
Old 21 February 2008, 23:57   #30
stainy
Zone Friend
stainy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Concord, NC, USA
Age: 46
Posts: 1,386
Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Hey

Have a look here
stainy is offline  
Old 22 February 2008, 00:00   #31
Ray Norrish
Registered User
Ray Norrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cheshire, UK
Age: 50
Posts: 300
Send a message via ICQ to Ray Norrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainy View Post
Have a look here
In that case, unlikely then, as it would be reliant on DirectX
Ray Norrish is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Found: Rhythm King] Amiga Game ID (Music Management Game) Kickback Looking for a game name ? 8 27 June 2012 20:02
[Found: Turrican] There is this game I remember as a child, a Metroid type game. PiesAreBlueGuy Looking for a game name ? 15 18 September 2009 15:35
[Found: Biplane Duel] Plane Flying Game, 2D, Shoot each other (Compilation game?) EssKung Looking for a game name ? 7 19 May 2007 00:37
WHDLoad and Screen Promote? hardwir3d support.Apps 3 16 January 2006 19:01
Promote AMIGA to a college sarek2k Amiga scene 5 03 November 2005 04:55

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.19236 seconds with 11 queries