English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 20 June 2007, 04:17   #1
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

Emulator settings- bug? [no sound with GameBase Amiga v1.4]

Okay, I am up and running with Gamebase Amiga. Everything seems to be working well, except for sound. Now I don't know about most of you, but I happen to like sound in my games.

I know I can set it inside WinUAE using F12, but it really should be on by default I'm thinking. I did mention a bug in the subject line, and here it is: I checked the "Gamebase Amiga.uae" to see what the frontend is setting for sound after trying a couple things in the Keys & Values section of the Set Default GEMUS Script Fields dialog. It looks like it is being sent a value of %sound_output_value% for sound_output. Literally. Inside the .uae file the line shows:

sound_output=%sound_output_value%

This clearly is not right. I went into the "GameBase Amiga Joystick.txt" file and changed the line:

Set_CFG_Value(%dbpath%\GameBase Amiga.uae||sound_output||%sound_output_value%)

to

Set_CFG_Value(%dbpath%\GameBase Amiga.uae||sound_output||exact)

and that worked, but I really am not comfortable with that solution as some games may have this set to something else in the database for compatibility purposes and then they cannot set it. Is there a better solution?

Also, I see there is no setting in Gamebase to go to fullscreen automatically. I assume to do this I could add a line to the "GameBase Amiga Joystick.txt" file like:

Set_CFG_Value(%dbpath%\GameBase Amiga.uae||gfx_fullscreen_amiga||true)

Is this the best way? Thanks in advance for help with both of these questions.
Old 20 June 2007, 04:44   #2
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

I'm actually surprised it sets sound_output at all. Best to wait until Belgarath gets online, I'm sure he can explain it.

That said, games do have sound for me, is this a problem with all games or just a particular game? And what WinUAE version are you using?
Old 20 June 2007, 05:00   #3
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

All games. I am using 1.4.2a. I am guessing when there is no database entry the value doesn't get set, and so remains at %whatever% instead of what %whatever% is set to. I could probably do away with the sound_output line in the .txt file and let the WinUAE set a default value. I just wonder if any of the games actually set sound_output, so I am hesitant to change it.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:18   #4
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

That's strange..

Often the GameBase Amiga.uae will have %blah% values in it that don't actually work, but this shouldn't matter because if WinUAE doesn't recognise a config option then it will use its defaults for that option, and WinUAE always defaults to exact sound..At least it does for me and er everyone else as far as I know So I really don't know why it's disabling it for you.

The reason the sound output is changed is that some games went really slow with 100% exact sound so a few games set it to just "enabled"

Newer WinUAE's are supposed to be able to do this automatically now, so you could disable the line in the script, and make sure the automatic switching is turned on in the config.

But I really don't understand why it disables sound for you in the first place, perhaps Toni can answer this?
Old 20 June 2007, 12:24   #5
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Oh and for fullscreen, I'm not sure about the necessary config lines but if you load up the config in winuae, activate fullscreen mode and then save the config back to the gamebase amiga directory it will always default to fullscreen.

There's also the shift+f12 shortcut which toggles between windowed and fullscreen modes.
Old 20 June 2007, 17:08   #6
Qun Mang
Klingon for Christ

Okay then, I will give your suggestions a go. Thanks again.