English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 June 2007, 19:27   #21
rsn8887

AFAIK there were many different revisions of the old compe pro. Some had play in the stick movement, some didn't. Some sucked pretty bad, others were perfect. The silver/blue ones were my favorites. Microswitched, enough give, great handling. The new USB ones have lag, documented also on an amazon.de review by some other German dude. They are also manufactured a bit cheap: the C-Clamp that clamps the stick's metal rod down is way too loose. Everytime it comes off, your stick turns into a wobbly mess, you have to open it up and put that stupid clamp back on... horrible.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 June 2007, 08:27   #22
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
I squeezed the clamp a bit with a pair of pliers before putting it back and it hasn't come loose any more.

I also like the last series of the original comppro with the metal spring and all microswitches. The rubber springed versions are a bit mushy to play with.
Old 12 June 2007, 11:48   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

The Atari 2600 Joystick...

it may not have micro-switched... (saves on noise)... it may be small.... (saves on space) may only have one button... (how many amiga games use 2 even though they could?)

it is all those things, but what it also is... a legend!!! a true survivior.... Joysticks and joypads have come and gone many times over between me and my bro... but only ONE stood the test of time (since 1981) and I still have it... it is STILL fully functional!!!

I seriously doubt I could say the same for any joystick today being able to put up with that kind of punnishment!
Old 12 June 2007, 19:27   #24
aldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer
I had two.. they both broke in one week and I used them normally.. they're very bad quality.

I got an adapter on eBay later on allowing me to use real Amiga joysticks.. much better.
Is this the one you mean http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...1925&rd=1&rd=1

I so want one of these, but they stopped making them I think.
Old 13 June 2007, 01:11   #25
MrX_Cuci

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo
Is this the one you mean http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...1925&rd=1&rd=1

I so want one of these, but they stopped making them I think.
No, He means this one: http://www.vesalia.de/?V02b0f1454564...52666656c3a717
You just need a parallel port
Old 03 July 2007, 06:53   #26
Brutal DLX
DLX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
The Atari 2600 Joystick...

I seriously doubt I could say the same for any joystick today being able to put up with that kind of punnishment!
I agree they were certainly robust, but I'd have to say they were also one of the least ergonomically-friendly joysticks I've ever used. After extended gaming sessions, it felt like I might need both of my hands amputated.

Personally, I always really liked this joystick:

http://yape.homeserver.hu/gallery/c16joysmall.jpg

(the picture features the C16 version, but the version I had with my C64 was, part from the connecting pins, identical)

As bare bones as they come, but it took a hell of a lot of punishment and lasted from my C64 years well into my Amiga 500 period. It eventually died after a particularly spiteful Speedball 2 clash with Super Nashwan. From memory, no microswitches in this baby, but there was a certain kind of warmth with it. There was a particular kind of shot for goal I mastered with this joystick for Speedball 2 that I just couldn't seem to replicate with other joysticks.
Old 03 July 2007, 07:13   #27
laffer
Zone Friend

To everyone who asked about this thing I have - I don't know how to get it, I just bought it on eBay long ago.. forgotten what I searched for even.

What it basically is is a little black box which allows you to plug any kinds of C64/Amiga joysticks into a USB port. Works perfectly, I've used both my old C64 joysticks for some time now.

Here's a little drawing of what it looks like (I don't have a camera atm) -

Last edited by laffer; 03 July 2007 at 08:27.
Old 03 July 2007, 08:59   #28
Ironclaw
Banned

If Amiga joysticks/gamepads works, so SHOULD the c64 ones as they are the same.... think it's the same with sega 16 bit... all these 3 systems can share joysticks/gamepads. As I used all of them on my Amiga.
Old 03 July 2007, 09:02   #29
laffer
Zone Friend

Yeah it works with C64/Amiga joysticks as they're the same.

Didn't know about the Sega thing though.
Old 03 July 2007, 09:03   #30
Ironclaw
Banned

My best steering thing was a sega gamepad, well, had two of them.... pads rules... I had that big black one with 3 buttons and the tiny redish one.. will look up pictures...

all the joysticks I gave away.

edit:

The left one and a similar version of the 3 buttoned top left one, next to the far left one . (maybe it was exactly that 3 buttoned one I had.... don't remember exactly...)
Old 03 July 2007, 10:43   #31
ppill
CON: artist

Send a message via Skype™ to ppill
@laffer

Is it something like CJoy?
Old 03 July 2007, 10:46   #32
laffer
Zone Friend

Yeah probably.. I don't read German so I don't really know but it seems to be the same.

It's just a way to connect any Amiga/C64 joysticks to a PC using the USB port.. you don't need to configure it though, it automatically detects it and is ready for use (like those Competition Pro joysticks). It's very cool.
Old 03 July 2007, 14:58   #33
EmuChicken

usb > amiga,... where did you get it from? any links?!
Old 03 July 2007, 21:47   #34
laffer
Zone Friend

Here's a little video of how it works.. recorded with my shitty webcam -

[ Show youtube player ]

Oh and the joystick I use is an old and very shitty joystick I have left over from my C64 days.
AdSense AdSense