English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 May 2007, 21:16   #1
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Softhut.

I see that the fact that Softhut still sells Amiga software is often used as a reason why some apps/games should not be shared. This may be a valid point, but I would like to know if the authors/developers of the software that Softhut sells get paid anything at all.

If they dont, does this mean that Softhut arent actually supporting Amiga software development but are simply profiteering?

Considerations please ....
AdSense AdSense  
Old 31 May 2007, 21:23   #2
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

And are they actually still manufacturing new copies of these programs as well? They could just as easily be unsold sock, I find it hard to believe that the companies involved are still producing new copies.
Old 31 May 2007, 21:35   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

To be honest: I don't care about all those dealers, selling old amiga stuff. The amiga market is commercially dead since 10 years. Nobody cares about it, except a few "hobby" seller. I left out the AmigaOne or PPC stuff, but this has nothing to do with the good old amiga.
Old 31 May 2007, 22:20   #4
amigakit.com

Softhut didnt get the software they sell for free- they originally had to pay the individual developers or publisher for the licensed copy of the software they are selling. They made this payment in the past (maybe years ago) and when they come to actually sell that licensed copy they make back the trade price plus their margin.

The developers/publishers are the first parties to get paid- the dealer is the last
Old 31 May 2007, 22:51   #5
DDNI
Targ Explorer

@ Amigakit, there we are then. If thats the case then they deserve to sell it at a fair price.
Old 31 May 2007, 23:52   #6
PaulyQ

Call me a bit of a cynic, OK.. the have to make the price on the software, but the price of some of the systems they sell are a bit, shall I say... EXPENSIVE!! Personally I'd beware of the A1200 systems as I have a feeling they are Escom boards... i.e. the dodgy floppy drive, all of the software that they give you is what I received with my original Escom system.
Old 31 May 2007, 23:55   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

hmmm as much as I do have a lot of respect for AK (AmigaKit) and his argument. another way to look at this is this.

would you still feel it would be fair if sainsburys or tescos were allowed to sell out of date food stuffs?

everything has a life expectency, however there are some companies out there that either CLAIM a right to selll from a license that expired a long time ago, or one that can not be validated.

its food for thought, lets hope its still in date.
Old 31 May 2007, 23:58   #8
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
hmmm as much as I do have a lot of respect for AK (AmigaKit) and his argument. another way to look at this is this.

would you still feel it would be fair if sainsburys or tescos were allowed to sell out of date food stuffs?

everything has a life expectency, however there are some companies out there that either CLAIM a right to selll from a license that expired a long time ago, or one that can not be validated.

its food for thought.
Old Software is highly unlikely to give you Salmonella poisoning..
Old 01 June 2007, 00:02   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

true, but you could be buying something from an unlicensed dealer or that dealers license has expired.

theres no real way of knowing. you could arguably be paying for something that is infact public-domain or not supported in anyway.
Old 01 June 2007, 01:03   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

A) SoftHut have not updated their inventory for many years. Over half of what is listed on their site is sold out.

B) They sell pirated software.
Old 01 June 2007, 01:16   #11
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

They're obviously a bit on the dodgy side...

If they are selling pirated software, I say stuff them, if you want to upload things that they're selling you should be allowed to do it. After all at least you won't be charging for it.
Old 01 June 2007, 01:22   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

All this "Amiga Classix" CD sucks big time. They included tons of cracked games, or plain game demos and Kickstart roms. I assume, they didn't ask Toni to include WinUAE for this shitty stuff.
Old 01 June 2007, 01:45   #13
DDNI
Targ Explorer

I certainly do resent being expected to pay $79 for Crossmac!

http://www.softhut.com/cgi-bin/test/...d=486901_70217
Old 01 June 2007, 01:49   #14
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Judging by what alexh said, I wouldn't even think of buying anything from them anyway. They'd have to pay me to take it I think.
Old 01 June 2007, 02:06   #15
shillard

SoftHut can go to hell - failed to respond to my queries and got NO business as a result.

AmigaKit by comparison is awesome - the very best customer service I've ever received from ANY Amiga dealer - ever.

And I've bought a shitload over the years from a lot of dealers.
Old 01 June 2007, 02:23   #16
billy

SoftHut took me on a number of transactions. They still owe me a credit [I will never see] on an IDE adapter, when they shipped me the one that cost half the price. Then they sent me boken Catweasel MK 3 and told me to talk to Jens.

Yes, they were reputable in the day, but unlike every other reputable dealer, they stuck around to profit from those of us who desire a time long past.

I've had almost a 1000 GBP worth of items sent to me from around the globe since I was raped by SoftHut and am thankful some players [AmigaKit and others] are still on the up and up.
Old 01 June 2007, 18:51   #17
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

I have bought several things from SoftHut.
I never had any problems whatsoever.
Old 01 June 2007, 18:53   #18
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I am sure they are ok, but I told them in 1999 about the Pirate versions of Ambermoon they were selling. They bought them from Alive Mediasoft. Did they take them off their catelog... I think they have forgotton how to or something!
Old 01 June 2007, 19:29   #19
FastRobPlus

I'm a huge fan of SoftHut. It's obviously just one guy devoting 1 or 2% of his time to Amiga, but it's still useful.
Also remember back in the day, they were one of the few retailers in the US who stuck with Amiga, helping to carry the magazines (buying ads) before the widespread uptake if the WWW.
Old 02 June 2007, 21:22   #20
sun68

Go to Retro-Nerd@: Its True "All this "Amiga Classix" CD sucks big time. They included tons of cracked games, or plain game demos and Kickstart roms. I assume, they didn't ask Toni to include WinUAE for this shitty stuff. "

... und jetzt !?
OK, it all Work Money-Geld !!!

AdSense AdSense