English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 January 2002, 15:16   #21
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin' Ghost
Well, that isn't an opinion, it's a fact. I daresay my resolution is more than likely higher than yours is. Normally my display is 1280x720, but since I have to temporarily use a different monitor, I am at a mere 1024x768.
You must have a bigger monitor than my 17" one, then. I'm warned that if I choose to adopt a res higher than 1024x768 for too long it could drastically shorten the lifespan of the monitor and break it!

Quote:
So I should bump my screen resolution up higher because you would rather post ultra wide pics? And so should everybody else?
No, Twist, I didn't say "I refuse to change the pic, you go and change your res" did I? I had no idea what res you was using until now, did I? Look, there's no point in making a fuss about it now, I've reduced the pic to a smaller and more-compatible-with-all-systems size. No scrolling needed or anything.

Quote:
?!? Do you mind translating that into English. Erm, never mind. Regardless of what you are trying (failing) to say here, I have never seen a game screenshot that cannot be reduced to a width of 320 pixels.
What I was trying to say is that perhaps there are some bits in the game that I feel are interesting enough to be captured in file.

Quote:
?!?! What difference does that make? I think you asked me this once before and I told you then that I don't keep a database of where I get my info from. Either trust it or don't trust it. This info is not very hard to find out. In fact I just answered a similar question in a different thread. Sheesh! And for the record, I have an original of this game, as well, so maybe my info came from the manual? Maybe I should research where I got my info from? Sorry if I sound like a smart-ass here, but I cannot fathom why you would question where I get my info from. If you care to challenge it and find an error, I welcome that. At least that is constructive.
Look, I had no idea you also had an original of the game, so how else was I meant to know where you found the game details? Off a site? Off someone else? What?

Quote:
READ!!! Read my quote above and you will see the word MOST.Read the interview at Codetapper's site and see what it says about the games listed there. It says there that the list in complete. Any caveats are outlined in parenthesis in my quote above.
Sorry, I was hoping though that it would say "100%" list, as in all games. Who knows, we might come across rare games that have copy protection in them but they're not on the list! Luckily we have the likes of andreas, Codetapper, Galahad, Amigaboy etc. in our legion!

Quote:
Honestly, I have never had to interpret my own post in quotes before. I suppose I asked for it by trying to help, but still...I need a tranquilizer!
Sheesh, Twist, I seriously never meant to piss you off, dude. I was only asking!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 January 2002, 15:19   #22
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by TikTok
Marz, I don't want to sound too critical, but I have downloaded both James Pond beta and Dune 2 (yes, the original version) before from this very site!.
Of course you did, you downloaded them from me just now (blatant plug).

Quote:
You can hardly call them particularly rare if they have been uploaded before by other board members .
Did I miss something during my time here? If I recall I don't remember seeing both the James Pond Beta and the Dune II original being on the Zone before. Who uploaded them originally then?
Old 14 January 2002, 15:58   #23
pcGTW_Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz
(and before anyone blabs "Hey, Dune 2's too commonly available on the web", I mean you can't download an *uncracked* version anywhere can you?)
and in the zone you wrote:

Quote:
Because of the fact it's uncracked, you'll come to a stop against the manual protection after the first level. Hopefully one of the hackers knows how to disable it?
Why don't you just download the cracked version if it is available on the web ???

btw James Pond Beta was uploaded to the zone 4 months ago...
Old 14 January 2002, 19:26   #24
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz
Sheesh, Twist, I seriously never meant to piss you off, dude. I was only asking!
OK, you didn't actually 'piss me off', but I'll expand a bit.

- I've not heard about reducing the life of a monitor if using >1024x768, so I can't really say. In any case, I think I was just indicating that the average resolution would need to scroll left and right on wider pics.

- Thanks for resizing the pic.

- Sorry if I chewed you ass about asking where I get my infos on the game from, but I just hate when people ask that because I really don't remember where I get most of the info in my database. Just being asked that, especially the way it was worded, almost sounded untrusting of the info.

- The list of Rob Northen games that is out there is what it is. It just seems obvious that there's the list at the Action site and it is what it is. If there was any question about that list, surely you would have already heard about it here at EAB by now. And that was all I was trying to illustrate.

Sometimes a tree is just a tree and doesn't need interrogating.
Old 14 January 2002, 20:50   #25
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by WindowsKiller
btw James Pond Beta was uploaded to the zone 4 months ago...
Hey, wait just a cotton pickin' minute.... :suspiciou

*thinks back to several months ago*

.... that was ME!!! :laugh

Yeah, it was around the time I was chatting about disk2fdi and I uploaded some disks of mine, but I felt back then they got ignored by the majority of the people on here so I thought, "why not do it again, but this time make a big thread detailing on them, with graphics and all?"

So there you go...
Old 14 January 2002, 22:35   #26
oldpx

Quote:
You must have a bigger monitor than my 17" one, then. I'm warned that if I choose to adopt a res higher than 1024x768 for too long it could drastically shorten the lifespan of the monitor and break it!
You can't be serious, at least say something like "The refresh late gets so low that my eyes hurt."My 17" monitor exploded some time ago and I'm glad it did. Gave me the opportunity to get a better one!

Old 15 January 2002, 04:23   #27
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Erm

I have this James Pond Beta , I had even forgot about it.
It's in a disk together with Stunt Car Race, and also it took me sometime to understand it was a beta, not the final game.
Old 15 January 2002, 09:03   #28
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Exclamation 1024x768 CAN shorten the lifespan of old monitors!

This applied to my old 14" monitor, which wasn't made for use of resolutions higher than 800x600.
I *could* use 1024x768, but at a lower refresh rate, so I couldn't work with this resolution for long.
Marz, I bet you've got a 14" monitor!
Old 15 January 2002, 15:14   #29
Nian

Hrm in that case..

Hey if were on the subject of beta versions of games. Does anyone have a beta version of Zool??? Because the demo rocked with limmited bullets and creatures but the released version has unlimmited bullets and creatured. Lame. Oh and who has a full version of Deuteros? The one with all music and animations. because I have gone from the 1 disk beta to the 2 disk crack and found no better copy.
Old 15 January 2002, 18:41   #30
MethodGit

Re: 1024x768 CAN shorten the lifespan of old monitors!

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
This applied to my old 14" monitor, which wasn't made for use of resolutions higher than 800x600.
I *could* use 1024x768, but at a lower refresh rate, so I couldn't work with this resolution for long.
Marz, I bet you've got a 14" monitor!
Ummm, andreas? Perhaps you should read my message again :

Quote:
So, in actual truth, I'm using 1024x768 right now, with a good refresh rate (it doesn't flicker on that resolution like my old monitor did). I did use to have a 15" monitor, though. After a few years of use the screen began to act funny, showing some kind of turqoise-tinted filter over the whole screen and it meant, for a while at least, we had to keep moving/tilting the monitor until it returned to normal! Eventually we decided to say "Thanks for all the joy, but we're gonna have to stop using you" to it (not literally of course! ). The monitor I'm using now is the one my sister used to utilise for her computer (she's got a 19" monitor now!). I think the old monitor is still in the house somewhere.

The thing I miss from my old monitor, though, is where it could switch between resolutions, Windows or DOS based, instantly, without a second-long delay or something like this monitor does now. It can be a bit annoying.
Old 15 January 2002, 18:55   #31
Paul
RIP Friends

My VDU is 17" and a Packard Bell one at that and is capable of a display of 1280x1024 with no problems. (My normal mode is 800x600 or 1024x768) It does not flicker etc. The only way you can damage the monitor is by setting the refresh rate beyond the maximum that it is designed for. My maximum is 120Hz for 640x480, 100Hz for 800x600 and 1024x768 etc.

To find info about your refresh rates, I suggest you READ YOUR MANUAL! Also, you may find some info on the label on the back of the monitor.
Old 15 January 2002, 20:21   #32
TikTok

Quote:
Hey if were on the subject of beta versions of games. Does anyone have a beta version of Zool??? Because the demo rocked with limmited bullets and creatures but the released version has unlimmited bullets and creatured. Lame.
The only demo version of Zool I remember (from an Amiga Action coverdisk) had the same gameplay as the final version. Can you remember where you found this demo originally? Some sort of coverdisk I presume?
Old 15 January 2002, 21:08   #33
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Hrm in that case..

Quote:
Originally posted by Nian
Oh and who has a full version of Deuteros? The one with all music and animations. because I have gone from the 1 disk beta to the 2 disk crack and found no better copy.
You have a beta of Deuteros? You mind posting this to the zone? Here's what I have:

Deuteros - The Next Millennium (1991)(Activision)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr Black Monks].zip
Deuteros - The Next Millennium (1991)(Activision)(M3)(Disk 1 of 2).zip
Deuteros - The Next Millennium (1991)(Activision)(M3)(Disk 2 of 2).zip
Deuteros - The Next Millennium (1991)(Activision)(M3)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr Skid Row].zip
Deuteros - The Next Millennium (1991)(Activision)(M3)[save disk].zip
Deuteros - The Next Millennium (1991)(Activision)(Sp)[cr Skid Row][t +6 Skillion](Disk 1 of 2).zip
Deuteros - The Next Millennium (1991)(Activision)(Sp)[cr Skid Row][t +6 Skillion](Disk 2 of 2).zip
Old 17 January 2002, 18:26   #34
MethodGit

Just thought I'd ask this: does anyone know if the CAPS crew would be interested in any of my originals? I could show them the two originals above plus others like Wizball etc.

Do they accept protected games though? If not, should I find a way to disable the protection first before upping it to them (or would that make the game cease to be an original?)?

@Shatterhand: Upload your version of James Pond Beta when you have the time, man!!! I've never seen a compilation-bundled version of it before.
Old 17 January 2002, 18:29   #35
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

CAPS accepts only originals - protected and in their original form.

Any contributions are welcomed...
Old 17 January 2002, 20:48   #36
TikTok

Quote:
Do they accept protected games though? If not, should I find a way to disable the protection first before upping it to them (or would that make the game cease to be an original?)?
Altering a game in any way, whether it be saving hiscores, configurations, editing data or whatever, will make the game cease to be an original copy .
Old 17 January 2002, 21:59   #37
MethodGit

Thanks for your advice, Cody & TikTok.

So, if I want to contribute an original, all I have to do is e-mail them at Contributions@caps-project.org, right?
Old 18 January 2002, 02:16   #38
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

It's probably a good idea to drop an email to that address before you send anything. Also, make sure any contributions are only from disks that you have kept write protected so that no game data has been altered, saved to, etc. And for heaven's sake, nothing that was hacked from existing WHD or JST games, or anything that you have acquired from the internet!
Old 18 January 2002, 02:30   #39
MethodGit

E-mail sent. Now I just have to wait for their reply.

I can't remember whether the Dune II disks were write-protected all the time, however I did recently check the date details on each file and there doesn't appear to be any files with clear standout dates (all of them seem to be around '92/'93).

All other games should be OK, IMO.
Old 18 January 2002, 02:42   #40
TikTok

Not sure on this, but I think CAPS are only interested in disks that cannot be imaged in the ADF format (i.e copy protected disks). The Dune 2 disks are standard Amiga DOS disks. Besides, I thought you said you *downloaded* the adfs of Dune 2, rather than imaged them yourself.
AdSense AdSense