English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 January 2002, 19:02   #41
jmmijo

Quote:
Hmmm, was that A600HD bought from a shop back then ?? Then the shop owner made some extra money, cause he must have removed the Kick 2.05 which is the lowest Kick the A600 shipped with !!! Also if your A600 is labeled HD, there must have been a 20,30 or 40Meg HD inside ..... The A600 itself came without a HD, but it wasnīt labeled A600HD then !
It wouldn't surprise that this happened as I recall it also happened here in the states as well Really it's an unscrupulous dealer trying to make some extra money.

It would be like buying a 2000HD model without the HD and/or the SCSI/IDE controller card.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 January 2002, 21:15   #42
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
Hmm, been playing around with a Teac FD-235HF that has a jumper block on it. The problem is trying to figure out the pins as the circuit side and the component side only have numbers and letters rather then a chart

I've looked on Aminet as well, there are some hacks that involve changing a floppy data cable.

I don't suppose you've seen this drive have you?
Well, I have a TEAC FD-235F from an A-500 here, so maybe your 235-FH is similar ?
To use it with the Amiga you have to close the following jumpers:

RD: ready Signal
DC: Diskchange Signal
D0: if you want to use it as internal DF0:
D1: if you want to use it as external DF!:

Other jumpers should be left free.

Also be careful with all those PC drive hacks from Aminet. The one where you just have to resolder the floppy cable just works with disks that use the standard Amigados routines for loading !
Games that have their own loader will not continue loading once the drive has stopped loading ( e.g. because of an intro ).

PC drives I know that can be jumpered to work with an Amiga are:
Chinon FZ-357
Some Matsushita drives
Panasonic JU..... ( don't know exact type now )
Old 13 January 2002, 21:56   #43
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
So, why the hell my kickstart is 1.3 ?
I'll repeat myself, I think someone tampered with your A600. I'd say it was a crappilly refurbished model. anyway, 1.3 makes more games run, so nyah, better for you

I expected a lot more negative comments about the A600.... I am glad that this did not happen! its a brill machine )) Shadowen, I am curious about one thing: How do you connect the 030 accelerator AND the 2.5" drive in there??? Isnt the 68000 just below the hard drive? wouldnt teh accelerator get in teh way of the HD=???
Old 14 January 2002, 02:33   #44
jmmijo

@Overdoc,
Thanks for the drive info, I'll take a look but I actually got it to work but the diskchange signal is nto working so I have to use the ADOS diskchange command. Great for a secondary drive but not as DF0: I would say. Also note that the drive you mentioned is a 720k or DD drive, take a look at the bottom of the drive unit, notice it missing the HD switch! I have one of these as well and I mark all drives as 720k if they indeed are missing this switch. This way I know they can be used as spare Amiga drives

@Akira,
I can't really comment on the 600 as I never owned one of these. Seems all the Amiga dealers in my area at least, sold mostly the 500/2000/1200 models and I rarely ever saw the 600 even on display. I think in some respects, in the Pacific NW that is, it was just not a popular machine.
Old 14 January 2002, 09:22   #45
Miggy2TheMax

Ahh .. I'm much like MarzAttackz.. only ever
really had a 500 in my early days.. Things were bit tight when I was young so I missed out
a bit, but I'm catching up fast

My Favourite machine would have to be the
500, I guess it is because its what I grew up
with and brings most of those great memories back...getting a bit side tracked here sorry ..

I have acquired a 600, and a 1200. The 600
is very cute/slick, but being a hardware hacker
I was a bit disapointed to see all the chips soldered on the motherboard, making it harder to fix/tweak, it is the same for the 1200.

Akira: I can see why you like the A600, it is indeed a very slick machine, but ultimately it should of came with better hardware specs (CPU/RAM) rather then just being a compact 500+, to be considered the _best_ non AGA machine.
We should start a thread on the best non AGA machine Oops .. getting side tracked again..

Its difficult for me to say which of the amigas I've owned is the black sheep, they all seem
pretty kewl to me! Luv em too much

P.S: Its great to see the EAB so alive .. I especially like the threads with game screen shots great stuff!!
Old 14 January 2002, 22:14   #46
Akira

Well, I think is the best all-round non AGA machine... It was IMO just the way they wanted it to be, the C64 of the 90s. A machine for the masses. Pretty damned nice. But Commodore fucked it up again...

Becase among all ECS machines, I'd say the best is the A3000. Incompatible with games and stuff, but who wants it for that?

Long life the A600!
Old 15 January 2002, 04:12   #47
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan

Hmmm, was that A600HD bought from a shop back then ?? Then the shop owner made some extra money, cause he must have removed the Kick 2.05 which is the lowest Kick the A600 shipped with !!! Also if your A600 is labeled HD, there must have been a 20,30 or 40Meg HD inside ..... The A600 itself came without a HD, but it wasnīt labeled A600HD then !
Yeah, that's probably what happened... IT IS labelled "A600HD" , but it has no HD
Old 16 January 2002, 17:04   #48
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

Shadowen, I am curious about one thing: How do you connect the 030 accelerator AND the 2.5" drive in there??? Isnt the 68000 just below the hard drive? wouldnt teh accelerator get in teh way of the HD=???
The 2.5" HD sits nicely on top of the accelerator once you rip the HD cradle out. I've taped a little thin plastic mat to the bottom of the HD to prevent it making contact with anything it shouldn't. It's tight for space, but I can screw the cover back on and that's the main thing!
Old 17 January 2002, 23:31   #49
Akira

Shadowen, what about temperature? As stock, the A600 heats up quite a lot in that area.... I suppose that now with an 030 AND the HD, it must be frying eggs.
Old 17 January 2002, 23:34   #50
RetroMan

Btw. I just bought an A600 from EBay without Disk-Drive for 1EUR (~ $1 US)
Old 17 January 2002, 23:37   #51
jmmijo

Way 2 go RetroMan, now if only I could find a 4000T at that price! That would really be something to smile about
Old 17 January 2002, 23:40   #52
RetroMan

Yeah That one is missing in my collection too in the moment and a A3000 also, but I might get one next month ! Anyway, after building in a HD, I think the A600 is a great machine .... coll to move with it to friends and play some good games, itīs more like a portable computer and btw. just try to walk a mile and carry the A500 with you, itīs no fun, the 600 is perfect for that
Old 17 January 2002, 23:51   #53
jmmijo

Yep and yep.

Too bad I don't have anyone local anymore to lug around an Amiga to Most everyone I know gave theirs up years ago and went over to the dark side.

At least my brother and father still have their 500's, I've been messing around with upgrading their machines with larger HD's. They spent a ton of money on those GVP A530 Turbo expansions with 4MB of fast ram, spendy $$$
Old 18 January 2002, 14:53   #54
RetroMan

I know these feelings Iīīve upgraded my A500+ to 2 meg chip, 8meg fast, MTec 68030 and a AlfaPower HD Controller with a 1 gig HD
Old 18 January 2002, 19:26   #55
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Shadowen, what about temperature? As stock, the A600 heats up quite a lot in that area.... I suppose that now with an 030 AND the HD, it must be frying eggs.
The 030 runs cool (as it should if it's well-designed). The 2.5" HD seems to run cooler than any 3.5" HD I've ever owned. Not sure if this is typical of 2.5" HDs in general as I've had limited experience with them. I imagine having the machine on for days at a time wouldn't be healthy because of the lack of ventilation, but I haven't had any problems so far running it for several hours at a time.
Old 18 January 2002, 20:30   #56
jmmijo

@Shadowen,
2.5" HD's tend to run cooler for a number of reasons, the first being they are really designed for laptops, hence you need a device that runs cooler so as not to generate too much heat and thus cause any number of heat related problems. The design is such that the spindle motor runs at a slower rpm and I would imagine the rest of the electronics is also designed with power consumption in mind, thus less power draw means less heat once again. This is the reason they tend to cost more then there desktop counterparts.

What I'm waiting for is IBM's microdrives to get up to about 20GB or so. These would be killer for any kind of portable machine or inside the cramped quarters of an A600

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/micro/index.htm
Old 18 January 2002, 21:57   #57
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@jmmijo

I figured in theory that's why 2.5" HDs would run cooler, but thanks for the info! I really lucked out when I bought my 3.2Gb HD a couple of years ago. I only paid $US25 for it secondhand!! I shudder to think what the new 20Gb IBM microdrives will cost brand new.
Old 18 January 2002, 22:39   #58
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowen
@jmmijo

I figured in theory that's why 2.5" HDs would run cooler, but thanks for the info! I really lucked out when I bought my 3.2Gb HD a couple of years ago. I only paid $US25 for it secondhand!! I shudder to think what the new 20Gb IBM microdrives will cost brand new.
You're correct Shadowen, unfortunately IBM only has the 1GB size out for their microdrives, but as you can see they are designed mostly as PCMCIA type cards. Let's hope the capacities will increase soon and with any luck, the price will not be too bad.
Old 08 February 2002, 00:06   #59
Crabbit

Happy hmmmm, i like the amiga 1200 but i think the a600 is a little cool thing

i think all the amigas r cool exept the ones which look like ibm pcs, they look too much like win pcs!!!
they even act like them
thats why i like the ones where the keyboard is intergrated into the computer!!!
hmm, a bbs like this had this smilie working, i wonder if it works here
*chainsaw*
oh well

Old 08 February 2002, 00:47   #60
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
the A500+ was the worst Amiga, mainly because, it was out for about 2-6 months and then commodore released the A1200, i'm glad i waited!
AdSense AdSense