English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 May 2007, 07:50   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Universal Soldier is Turrican (For MegaDrive)

Universal Soldier is a conversion of Turrican for the Sega Genesis/MegaDrive.
The games were published for Sega by Accolade, under the Ballistic label.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 May 2007, 08:12   #2
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

sorry to do this to your attempt at a serious thread

but this is old news fred.

edit: its also meant to be a film licence but has absolutely nothing to do with the Van Damme movie.
Old 10 May 2007, 08:19   #3
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Heh heh..THB you are crazy!
But anyway, I never realized this. I assume the game is based on the movie, but you are saying I am wrong.
Here is Moby Games page on it. I think they are right.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/universal-soldier
Old 10 May 2007, 08:25   #4
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Yep it is meant to be a film license, basically they changed some sprites around and made one or two different levels. But it is mostly Turrican 2 which has nothing to do with the actual movie, look at the end of level bosses and enemies for example. It's just a sloppy rebagded attempt at a film license.
Old 10 May 2007, 08:29   #5
keropi

if I haven't heared it before, it's news to me!
I too never knew that... must check this game...

Old 10 May 2007, 08:30   #6
EmuChicken

came out on the snes and nes too... they both sucked :P
Old 10 May 2007, 18:27   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The true Turrican 1 port (Ballistic, not Universal Soldier) for the Mega Drive is really bad. Not only the music is shit, the gameplay sucks too. Mega Turrican was much better for this console.

SNES:

Try Rendering Ranger R2. Another Turrican-like game from Manfred Trenz, but better than Universal Soldier.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 11 May 2007 at 17:10.
Old 10 May 2007, 21:46   #8
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson
Yep it is meant to be a film license, basically they changed some sprites around and made one or two different levels. But it is mostly Turrican 2 which has nothing to do with the actual movie, look at the end of level bosses and enemies for example. It's just a sloppy rebagded attempt at a film license.
Well, actually they also cut the SHMUP-levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuChicken
came out on the snes and nes too... they both sucked :P
Turrican II never came out on the SNES. Universal Soldier was made, though it never got released. Super Turrican and Super Turrican II, though, got released... and neither were bad (according to me), just not up to the job of recreating the magic of Turrican II. And, while Super Turrican feels, in a way, like an actual Turrican IV... Super Turrican II goes way beoynd what Turrican ever was... and includes some arcade style action levels where one is driving vehicles, both in 2D and in some pesuo-3D-mode-7-style levels. I do find the game impressive... but not especially fun. And not Turrican-ish at all.

Turrican for the NES (and the Game Boy), well... while the NES one being technically impressive and also rather impressive since Trentz did EVERYTHING on that game... neither of the conversions/versions feels good to me. A shame... really... because most people not having played the originals... and only the console incarnations, will have a rather strange relationship to the series (Mega Turrican not included, since that feels like a true Turrican game even though it has more linnear levels).
Old 11 May 2007, 02:55   #9
laffer
Zone Friend

I actually finished Universal Soldier.. I'm a huge fan of Turrican so I had to check out all the differences. They replaced the bosses with some horrible things from the movies (like a truck and a giant Dolph Lundgren).
Old 11 May 2007, 05:00   #10
Dexther

great game ( hahahahahaha) in all conversion only first level are a original but the fiction
at the level 2 are ALL turrica game ,enemy and more (only a principal sprite are diverse )
Old 11 May 2007, 07:58   #11
EmuChicken

@ legedemain: The only "true" turrican games were 1 and 2 on the Amiga, nothing else comes close, not Mega Turrican, not Super Turrican, or Super Turrican 2... I'll admit I didnt get far in either of them, but the exploration part has been completely killed in all these console variations of the theme :/

ps : I was refering to universal soldier when I said they came out on the nes and megadrive.

EDIT: There is one thing that comes close, sorry , thats the homebrew project the Turrican for the Master System, even though only one levels completed.. it OWNNNZ!
Old 11 May 2007, 12:48   #12
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexther
great game ( hahahahahaha) in all conversion only first level are a original but the fiction
at the level 2 are ALL turrica game ,enemy and more (only a principal sprite are diverse )
No, there is also another original later level where one has to travel through, and under, something which looks like a bombed city... (and, once again, the SHMUP-levels has been cut).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuChicken
@ legedemain: The only "true" turrican games were 1 and 2 on the Amiga, nothing else comes close, not Mega Turrican, not Super Turrican, or Super Turrican 2... I'll admit I didnt get far in either of them, but the exploration part has been completely killed in all these console variations of the theme :/

ps : I was refering to universal soldier when I said they came out on the nes and megadrive.

EDIT: There is one thing that comes close, sorry , thats the homebrew project the Turrican for the Master System, even though only one levels completed.. it OWNNNZ!
Turrican 2 for the C64 was the 'true' original Turrican even though the Amiga version came out first. Though, I have to agree... there is nothing really that feels and plays like Turrican and Turrican II on the Amiga. Mega Turrican was originally developed for the MegaDrive/Genesis... which could be the reason for the sudden lack in exploration. Platform games for consoles, especially japanese ones, were at the time often less exploration oriented and it could have been that Factor 5 wanted to make sure the market got what they expected from a regular console platformer. Though, I don't really mind... because what the game lacks in exploration I think it offers in sheer classic and fun platforming. If there is one thing I don't really like about Mega Turrican / Turrican III it would be the fact that it feels like the graphics are inferior to the graphics in Turrican II (and the Amiga version do even lack some of the graphical features the MegaDrive version offers).
Old 11 May 2007, 17:06   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Has anyone played the Turrican 1 port for the Mega Drive? What a piece of crap.
Old 11 May 2007, 18:34   #14
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
Has anyone played the Turrican 1 port for the Mega Drive? What a piece of crap.
hehehe you said pee

TurriCrap 1

it sucks sucks sucks

Old 11 May 2007, 20:04   #15
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Universal Soldier for Megadrive was atrocious
Old 11 May 2007, 20:08   #16
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2
Universal Soldier for Megadrive was atrocious
But you have tried Turrican 1 for the Mega Drive? It is awful too, not only this Universal Soldier bullshit.
Old 11 May 2007, 20:56   #17
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I HAVE DONE THIS THREAD BEFORE YOU FUCKTARD!

It was infact one of my first threads
Old 11 May 2007, 20:57   #18
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Also, in the UK anyway, Universal Soldier on the MD came in a cardboard NES style box!
Old 12 May 2007, 01:32   #19
vroom6sri

I have downloaded Uni Sol for ZSNES a while ago but may try and play it start to finish out of curiosity. T1 & 2 are great! I have very fond memories of the C64 versions but the Amiga ones seem so perfect.

Off topic... Mick_AKA - Love your avatar thingy. Saw what's left of the Blue Thunder copter at Disney MGM studios on honeymoon last year. Sorry to say it's been left to rust up in their "back lot" tour. No respect.
Old 12 May 2007, 10:24   #20
EmuChicken

btw: this is the mastersystem / gamegear version thing that I meant

http://www.smspower.org/ggt/
AdSense AdSense