English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 March 2005, 22:44   #41
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

The fact that the plastic is turning yellow even if you dont smoke, says clearly that they used a cheap plastic.

Im a screenprinter and at work were printing mainly on 2 plastics: PVC and polystyrene. Polystyrene is the cheaper one which will trun yellow just from the sun whereas PVC stays white much longer. (And you can clean PVC with solvents, if you try to clean polystyrene with it, it will melt as the amiga case does).

But i dont think you can blame commodore for using cheap plastics: Nearly all PCs and consoles are made of polystyrene or similar.

So apparently the only thing you can do is not to smoke and keep your amiga away from the sun, but it WILL turn yellow sooner or later.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 March 2005, 23:50   #42
DopPie
Zone Friend

Will turn yellow sooner or later? Perhaps. But you come about white commodore build A1200's once in awhile. So keeping them out of sunlight seems to help conservation quite a bit. I missed out on a great deal last week. Bright white '92 commodore build A1200. Had been sitting in a box for over 10 years and no yellowing. That means sun would be the mayor factor, followed by use ofcourse. But air? Really? I sure hope not. I think yellow amiga's look filthy. BTW My A600 has seen some sunlight and is just slightly yellowed. I wonder how much hours sun are needed to really see the effects.
Old 12 March 2005, 10:45   #43
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

Yeah youre right with the sun or to be more precise its UV radiation. The air itself wont turn it yellow, but i *guess* any lightsource contains *minor* parts of UV light, so it *might* turn yellow just from the lamp in your room (but reeaaallllyyyyyyy slow ofcourse). But thats splitting hairs. Before it will turn yellow from your lamp it will go boom in any other way.
Old 12 March 2005, 10:58   #44
DopPie
Zone Friend

Turning yellow from the lamp will be OK I guess. Since it goes so slow I'll be old before that machine reaches filthy stages.

Anyway keep on looking for that killer chemical (oops FBI logged this message now) to turn the machine (including keys) white again.
Old 12 March 2005, 12:11   #45
MarlboroMan
Space for rent

What if you put some kind of uv blocking and dirt resisting clear-lacquer on a brand new white amiga? Dunno if such a lacquer exists but if it does, it wouldnt get yellow that fast.
Old 12 March 2005, 15:39   #46
DopPie
Zone Friend

I know there is some sort of plastics-polish around that adds anti static. It is meant for outdoor plastics. I'm gonna try that on my super yellow A1200. Wont be good for the keys I think. ═ will probably polish off the letter print. And if the yellowing is too deep I think this will not work at all
Old 12 March 2005, 16:50   #47
Fenrir

when plastics oxydize there's not much to do I think. It's like wood turning brown, or leather getting stained :d
AdSense AdSense