English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 August 2008, 12:11   #141
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Don't remember, my brain wishes to delete all the data containing memories about it

IIRC it's a bitch to install, it unpacks, decrunches the sound files to match your config, and takes ages on my 030!

It may be not complete trash, it may be good with more-than-two players multi, but... it's over-hyped.
There were weeks you could only see posts "OMG! TOTAL CHAOS IS THE GREATEST GAME ON EARTH! OMG GO PLAY IT! IT'S SO AWESOME! OMG! OMG!" here on EAB that killed it for me and a lot of other folks...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 August 2008, 12:24   #142
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
Don't remember, my brain wishes to delete all the data containing memories about it

IIRC it's a bitch to install, it unpacks, decrunches the sound files to match your config, and takes ages on my 030!

It may be not complete trash, it may be good with more-than-two players multi, but... it's over-hyped.
There were weeks you could only see posts "OMG! TOTAL CHAOS IS THE GREATEST GAME ON EARTH! OMG GO PLAY IT! IT'S SO AWESOME! OMG! OMG!" here on EAB that killed it for me and a lot of other folks...
I know that feeling It's the same for FEAR on my side. Maybe the game isn't that bad, but since I don't like it very much and everybody sais 'What? You must love it! It's soooo great' I feel sick everytime I think about it (like now ).
Good thing is I don't have the time to mess around with it
Old 01 September 2008, 21:30   #143
lhz

Ultima IV
Dragon Wars
Amberstar
Ambermoon
Chaos Strikes Back
Bard's Tale II

Old 01 September 2008, 22:31   #144
ungi
Amiga Games Historian

DUNGEON MASTER

This game was incredible for its time! Fantastic. Unbelievable. A dream. To this point, I played rpgs like Phantasie III, Bards Tale, Ultima III, Demonīs Winter - which were all fine, but then I played DM and was drawn into its world... until I defeated Lord Chaos. The sequel, CSB, was too difficult for me.

other rpgs I liked a lot:

Feary Tale Adventure (drew a map myself... found later one in the original box :-))
Buck Rogers - the novel was in the box, bought me later all other novels
Eye of the Beholder - great DM clone
Pools of Darkness - my favorite Gold Box title
Perihelion - the whdload fix was made with my original
Ultima 5 - the whdload fix was made with my original, too
Shadowworlds - another one of my games whdloaded
Dragonflight - my god, Dark Angel fixed nearly my whole rpg collection for whdload at this time...
Drakkhen - jstfied by Kaervek
Might and Magic III - so much better than part 2
Starflight (never solved it)
Xenomorph
Wizardry VI - highly complex
Dragon Wars - took me ages
Ultima 6 - playable on the Amiga only since Psygore fixed it for whdload
Star Command (ugly, but fun)
Speris Legacy (not as good as Zelda, but better than nothing)

and the worst ever Amiga rpgs:

Bards Tale III - what a disappointment!
Times of Lore (hyped as Feary Tale 2.... aaargh)
Swords of Twilight
Jaktar
and not to forget: Keys of Marmaron
Old 02 September 2008, 00:08   #145
Marcuz
Wurk???

Keys to Maramon is cool! it has much more depth that your usual dungeon crawler (specially more than the modern ones)
Old 02 September 2008, 00:28   #146
Visper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
Keys to Maramon is cool! it has much more depth that your usual dungeon crawler (specially more than the modern ones)
If you liked Keys to Maramon, try The Magic Candle 2 for PC: top stuff
Old 02 September 2008, 01:46   #147
Marcuz
Wurk???

i wanted to try that for ages, probably i will someday
Old 02 September 2008, 13:24   #148
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungi View Post
DUNGEON MASTER

other rpgs I liked a lot:
Hi Ungi!

Did you not rate Black Crypt?

As for Dungeon Master 2 being too hard, I'd say (like a lot of RPGs) it wasn't so much that it was hard, as that it was unrewarding - I don't need escapism to have somebody finding me lots of tedious jobs to do - I can get that in real life. What I think seperates Dungeon Master and the better games is that the authors managed to keep the player's motivation high.
Old 04 September 2008, 20:17   #149
ungi
Amiga Games Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Hi Ungi!

Did you not rate Black Crypt?
hi Angus!

Black Crypt was ok, but I didnīt play it very long. So I didnīt rate it. It was one of the many Dungeon Master clones that followed in the years after, like Captive 1+2, Bloodwych, Crystal Dragon, Abandoned Places 1+2, Knightmare, Hired Guns, Xenomorph and some more.

Quote:
As for Dungeon Master 2 being too hard, I'd say (like a lot of RPGs) it wasn't so much that it was hard, as that it was unrewarding - I don't need escapism to have somebody finding me lots of tedious jobs to do - I can get that in real life. What I think seperates Dungeon Master and the better games is that the authors managed to keep the player's motivation high.
I meant that the stand alone expansion of Dungeon Master, called "Chaos Strikes Back", was too hard. Dungeon Master 2 was just another Dungeon Master clone, appearing many years after the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post

are we both talking about the same game???

http://hol.abime.net/4208

I found no depth in it, even after searching for hours. Tastes are differnt, but this game was awful for me.

Magic Candle 2 or 3 is fine, though. Not comparable to Maramon.

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 04 September 2008 at 21:08. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 04 September 2008, 21:57   #150
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Captive is usually the top choice it seems and Dungeon Master being the one everyone has huge respect for

Anyone here recall how much they crapped their pants playing DM, such a spooky lonely experience that i don't think has been matched

I love Liberation's atmosphere quite a bit and is one of the games i want to play at some point.Is Captive similar in atmosphere? it's clearly viewed as the better game by how many times it gets mentioned over the second game.I like the futuristic feel i get from Liberation though, is it in keeping with how the original felt
Old 04 September 2008, 22:02   #151
captive

CAPTIVE - the best game ever

thanks Tony Crowther!

Last edited by captive; 04 September 2008 at 22:07.

Old 05 September 2008, 01:04   #152
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Send a message via MSN to MazinKaesar Send a message via Yahoo to MazinKaesar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungi View Post
Magic Candle 2 or 3 is fine, though. Not comparable to Maramon.
Magic Candle 1 and Keys of Maramon are settled in the same world, as I remember. I think even MC2. MC3 instead is settled in another world or at least another continent.
Old 21 November 2008, 15:46   #153
Exiled

Ultima V and Legend. They were ace
Old 07 December 2008, 03:46   #154
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captive View Post
CAPTIVE - the best game ever

thanks Tony Crowther!

Oooooh a Captive fan with the name Captive

Why didn't I think of that!!

Hmmmmpfffffffffff / me goes to sulk
Old 07 December 2008, 14:53   #155
hitchhikr

I remember fearytale adventure which was good when it was released and eye of the beholder.
I never liked dungeon master which i found way too ugly and i never liked any of the ultima either. I played bard's tale a bit and tried a few more but i found nothing really good, too bad there wasn't any Japanese RPG converted to the Amiga at that time.
Old 16 December 2008, 21:33   #156
SensibleFodder

Hmmm i was very young when i had an amiga 500+ so the pc and megadrive etc era was around.

i never had the money to buy full games, but i had tons of demo disks one dungeon rpg demo i remember fondly was called somthing like

halls of vallhalla or hero's of valhalla

it wasnt hall of heros or halls of vallhalla i check they are not the game i used. it was pure magic, u picked a team of 2 people there were like 50 different faces all cleric barbarians fighters classic D&D stuff they had preset stats or you could alter them to a degree like in NWN1/2

you started in the town bought food, magic items whatever you need for your quest, i think you could talk to people too, but that was sucky boring badly written bs. then you went into the next dungeon. you start off and choose which guy will lead your group, he or she does the combat then you encounter like a badly drawn rat it not dangerous but you kill it anyway and make your bard eat it. he becomes poisoned.

if you didnt find a cure in 10 mins he slowly dies, that happened all the time, if you in a fight with a guard and you loose too much constitution he gets poisoned and looses hp slowly.

its bolloxs i cant find the title im sorry

--edit--
i think it was called valhalla: before the war. but mabey it never got released it was absoloutely hard. but beautiful very pretty

Last edited by SensibleFodder; 16 December 2008 at 21:39. Reason: remembered somthing

Old 16 December 2008, 21:50   #157
hit

welcome and have a look here: http://hol.abime.net/1554
Old 16 December 2008, 21:56   #158
TCD

Also welcome SensibleFodder and you also might want to have a look here : http://www.planetemu.net/?section=re...&rubrique=roms
Old 16 December 2008, 23:24   #159
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Welcome to EAB!

Norwich eh? Nice place
Old 20 December 2008, 14:21   #160
sharprm

Paladin was good and bad. i think it was the only game i had with a built in level editor. i really liked making maps so i say its best rpg game. but the game sucked.
AdSense AdSense