1 Potato to Spam´em all!

Eye of the Beholder 2

Heimdall

Captive 2
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 August 2008, 22:49   #122
Titler
Zone Friend

Ultima V: Warriors Of Destiny. I think it was actually made more atmospheric by the simplistic presentation, because there was nothing between you and the plot, and the scripted characters you found in Britannia. And there were so many little delightful vignettes you came across as you traveled... I can still recall traveling back out of the Stygian Abyss to return a party member, just so I could come back and bring Captain Johne from his shipwrecked vessel, back into the world and beyond his mortal sins...

I loved all the Ultima series after IV to be honest, but I played IV on the Sega Master System first, then Ultima V on the Amiga, and VI on the PC, so it's V that gets the Amiga accolade for me. I actually bought Ultima VI for the Amiga second hand from a store in Stoke, around 1998, when I was still using it as a games machine. The game didn't work though, so I took it back, and the spotty oik behind the counter must have thought I was trying to copy it, and said I could only have a copy of the same game. I said that was fine, I really wanted Ultima VI, and he asked me to come back the next day. So I did, he gave me "another" copy, which also didn't work and was I suspect the same copy, so back I went for a refund, and remained disappointed until around 2002, when I finally got it on the PC... I think I ended up with SSI's "Sword Of Aragon" instead from that shop, which was colossally crap, but I remember making it into something fun over the next year regardless... Probably because my final year at Uni was just so unhappy, but that's another story.
Old 17 August 2008, 23:42   #123
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli Send a message via Skype™ to NewDeli
  • Ultima V (agree with Titler, less is more sometimes)
  • Bard's Tale I*, II & III (if you don't mind the turn-based RPG type)
  • Captive (seems rather complex, though)
  • Feary Tale* (not as bland as it seems)
  • Ishar II - Messengers of Doom (AGA enhanced)
  • Black Crypt
  • Amberstar

I know it's been argued over and over before, I still wonder what is it Amigans find so exciting about DM

* Being the only RPGs I played extensively

Last edited by NewDeli; 18 August 2008 at 15:06.
Old 18 August 2008, 07:16   #124
source
Zone Friend

Ultima IV & V
I Tried Ultima III, but after playing the game for a while it would not load the cities. I sent it back to Origin only to have the same thing happen.

Dungeon Master
Old 18 August 2008, 08:58   #125
klx300r

Ultima V
Old 18 August 2008, 10:18   #126
Leffmann

Black Crypt and Hired Guns. I always felt they were both very tight and well coded, and of course very good looking.
Old 18 August 2008, 16:56   #127
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Send a message via MSN to MazinKaesar Send a message via Yahoo to MazinKaesar
I never played an Ultima games until its end, I liked more Utilma-Clones like Magic Candle on C64.
Old 18 August 2008, 18:25   #128
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
I know it's been argued over and over before, I still wonder what is it Amigans find so exciting about DM

Well, gameplay really. The balance was so good, the puzzles were sometimes tricky, but they were the sort that you might figure out hours later away from the game (which says a lot) and when you surmounted the various obstacles you didn't have that "well, that was bloody stupid" feeling, it was more, "Hah, nice one!".

The spell system was really nice and there was a great balance between mental and physical challenges. I loved it and never took to another similar game as much, although I thought Black Crypt was really nice.
Old 18 August 2008, 18:44   #129
Marcuz
Wurk???

never was much into DM: the character management and combat, as i was coming from Eye of the Beholder, was really crappy to me.

i dig the dungeon maps walkthroughs (saw them in the magazines) but the game was a no go for me.
Old 18 August 2008, 18:52   #130
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Dungeon Master was not really a challenge to play, which i cant say about Chaos Strikes Back, that was hardcore play
Old 18 August 2008, 19:11   #131
NewDeli
Banned

May be someone can pm me a link to a DM YouTube video he made, as I am into watching that sort of things these days.

The simple fact that you could loose endurance points by hitting the walls was a let-down for me, and why did they put up this ridiculous character creation process, when you could pick up a team in Bard's Tale in a snap ? The overly slow animation, the training phases...oh boy
But believe it or not, I tried to get into that game...

By the way, did anybody play the intriguing Legends of Valour ? (I think the PC version was more remarkable)
Old 18 August 2008, 19:17   #132
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Legends of Valour was interesting, though i dont remember why i stopped to play it but it was slow on my A500 for sure )

but that Chaos strikes back intro was just amazing .. love the music
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 August 2008, 20:05   #133
skan
emul-hat0r

Dungeon crawlers or not, Dungeon Master and Black Crypt rule. Period.
Old 18 August 2008, 20:40   #134
rsn8887

1. Dungeon Master
2. Ambermoon

(3. Black Crypt)
(4. Ishar 2)

Last edited by rsn8887; 18 August 2008 at 21:08.
Old 19 August 2008, 13:16   #135
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Dungeon crawlers or not, Dungeon Master and Black Crypt rule. Period.

Agreed - they lavished a lot of care on to the graphics of Eye of the Beholder, and it may be a good game, but I ran out of patience with it as it failed to draw me in. But what I think is beyond doubt is how influential and important Dungeon Master was to the development of this genre.

Have a look at Scott Johnston and Tony Crowther's celebrity reviews on the AGDB for some interesting info, on this.

Like Scott said, as well as being a very nicely written game IMHO, it felt like the programmers had written it for the Amiga and had cool effects and embellishments that gave the game that extra sparkle.
Old 20 August 2008, 03:40   #136
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
But what I think is beyond doubt is how influential and important Dungeon Master was to the development of this genre.
It would be hard to deny it. Count in Ultima Underground as a vastly inspirational RPG.

By the way Angus, I don't think you need to raise both hands to walk in a corridor .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	award_dungeonmaster.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	17608  
Old 20 August 2008, 08:43   #137
haynor666
retro maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to haynor666
Dungeon Master
Ishar serie
Perihelion
Old 20 August 2008, 09:36   #138
mihcael
Zone Friend

Only played 2

1. Patience is a Virtue.

and 2 is not worth mentioning beyond,

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrategyGamer View Post
Doesn't everyone have 32MB of FastRAM since 1999?

How much fastram do you have?

You could write Team Chaos an Email and ask for the old 1990s Total Chaos AGA I (I don't think it had a subtitle back then?) version 1.0 to be re-uploaded to Aminet. I think it only required 4 or 8 MB of fastram.

They keep erasing old releases of the Total Chaos series with new releases! GRRR I HATE THAT!

As a side note, I wish that ALL AGA games required at least 16 MB of fastram! Think how awesome the animation would be! It is terribly sad to think that Team 17 and Bitmap Brothers and Rainbow Arts and everyone used to chop their games down so much to fit them into 1 meg and 3 floppies.
If Commodore had not gone bust they could have released fantastically amazing 16 MB AGA games where enemy spaceships and monsters had 100 frames of movement instead of just 6!
if thats quality animation im glad they didnt have all that extra ram back then, i only played this (Total Chaos AGA) twice, it crashed twice and thats enough!!
Old 20 August 2008, 12:03   #139
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
i only played this (Total Chaos AGA) twice, it crashed twice and thats enough!!
lol, sounds like my "happy time" with this game exactly...

over-hyped piece of dog shit...
Old 20 August 2008, 12:07   #140
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
lol, sounds like my "happy time" with this game exactly...

over-hyped piece of dog shit...
I never played it. Is it such a bitch to set up? You know I want to see it at least once (I like trash ).
AdSense AdSense