English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 April 2007, 22:08   #1
MethodGit

Someone should try and do a Windows port of UADE

Considering DeliPlayer has effectively been abandoned forever. UADE probably has more features than it now!

(And for the record, no I don't know squat about source compiling myself.)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 April 2007, 22:37   #2
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Fuck off
Old 01 April 2007, 22:53   #3
Ultron
Something

Not a bad idea.

Right now XMplay with Delix plugin is the best method.

Deliplayer is a total disaster.
Old 01 April 2007, 23:35   #4
MethodGit

Hmmm, a plugin for XMPlay? Just trying it out. It's not bad, although I kinda wish there was a way to list subsongs seperately in a playlist like you can with DP. Although I'll be honest with you - I haven't religiously used XMPlay very much, so who knows?
Old 02 April 2007, 00:08   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
Deliplayer is a total disaster.
Yeah right? Deliplayer works fine here, audio quality beats almost everything for any format. Ok so you get the odd crash once in a blue moon but you just fire it back up and it is working fine.

Shame development has stopped and it is closed source, shame about the bugs, but it is still good, better than anything out there.
Old 02 April 2007, 01:28   #6
Ultron
Something

I was referring to the fact that it completely stopped development. It's literally abandoned, and has been for years - even though claims otherwise were maintained.

The previous version also crashed left and right, the program was never stable, i never understood why they started version 2 when 1 wasn't stable in the least. Needless to say 2 crashes too, seems to actually be the only thing that totally crashes my system, BSOD in WinXP, something that happens with nothing else. Finding myself rebooting, when i'm serving stuff from here, and nothing else crashed my box during months is... disapointing.

Then they abandoned the project mid beta. The bugs never went away and they seemed more interested in new features then debugging. Some people were rightfully angry that they registered the app and never got debugged, understandibly.

Someone on their messageboard suggested that Deliplayer should've been a Winamp pluggin, now that was a great idea that never happened.
Old 02 April 2007, 13:00   #7
lucadip
Where is my mind?

Quote:
The previous version also crashed left and right, the program was never stable, i never understood why they started version 2 when 1 wasn't stable in the least. Needless to say 2 crashes too, seems to actually be the only thing that totally crashes my system, BSOD in WinXP, something that happens with nothing else. Finding myself rebooting, when i'm serving stuff from here, and nothing else crashed my box during months is... disapointing.
I'm surprised to hear that! I use winxp and have listened to hundreds of meds/mods with Deliplayer 2, never experienced a single crash. :-?
Old 02 April 2007, 13:08   #8
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I use Deliplayer with GameBase Amiga as well and it's never once crashed here either.

A windows port of UADE would be great though.
Old 02 April 2007, 15:07   #9
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
Fuck off
That's what I like in a reply, short, concise and says it all really.......

Merlin
Old 02 April 2007, 17:12   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I was referring to the fact that it completely stopped development.
The developers have something else to do, like lives, and jobs etc.

Quote:
It's literally abandoned, and has been for years - even though claims otherwise were maintained.
If it is abandoned? Who pays the money for the website? Who keeps the server going and payed for the domain name in October 2006?

Quote:
The previous version also crashed left and right, the program was never stable
Worked 99% here.

Quote:
i never understood why they started version 2 when 1 wasn't stable in the least. Needless to say 2 crashes too, seems to actually be the only thing that totally crashes my system, BSOD in WinXP, something that happens with nothing else. Finding myself rebooting, when i'm serving stuff from here, and nothing else crashed my box during months is... disapointing.
Either you've bastardised your windows XP Installation, you've bastardised your Deliplayer installation or your sound card drivers are not WHQL certified.

If you sort all 3 out I guarantee that it will work much better than you claim. I've got multiple systems and run deliplayer on all 3 and almost never have issues.

Quote:
Then they abandoned the project mid beta.
Their choice.

Quote:
The bugs never went away and they seemed more interested in new features then debugging.
You've never programmed have you? Finding difficult unpredictable bugs is boring, adding new features is fun

Quote:
Some people were rightfully angry that they registered the app and never got debugged, understandibly.
Registration was only right at the start. I registered perhaps 2 days after they opened. Registration was cancelled shortly afterwards (6-months?) and the app made freeware. I'm not angry, the amount I paid was next to nothing and it's worked well (albeit with the odd bug) for over 5 years. I certainly got my moneys worth (although I didnt think so at the time they went freeware!)

Quote:
Someone on their messageboard suggested that Deliplayer should've been a Winamp pluggin, now that was a great idea that never happened.
Winamp is so 1998!
Old 02 April 2007, 18:34   #11
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
The developers have something else to do, like lives, and jobs etc.
This is a payed for program. Lots of people payed to register it. They were being payed to develop it. They decided to take the money, then they freewared it and abandoned development.

Quote:
If it is abandoned?
It's not if. It is.

Quote:
Who pays the money for the website? Who keeps the server going and payed for the domain name in October 2006?
That's pretty naive. CC bills keep going to the same CC. Most registrant pay for several years. It's not like the handful of bucks needed for domain registration breaks anyone bank account. This process to happen automatically. The Webmaster seemed to maintain himself throughout, only the developers disappeared, literally.

Quote:
Worked 99% here.
That's good news, and good for you. In here it doesn't. And to many people who had payed for registrations, had bugs, posted on their messageboards, got censured \ deleted, as they took money and had totally stopped development repeated claiming otherwise, it probably didn't work so well either, the very person who kept voicing their false claims of continued development stated, on their official message board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:58 pm Post subject: Upset with Deliplayer progress. /its DEAD

I am upset with the progress of dp2 / 3

I have been attempting to contact both Florian and Peter over the past 6 months with no reply.

My angle on the project has always been that its great to support all the formats but lets build on that and concentrate on the future requirements. And 'dumb up the UI' so winampers can use the program .......

I would never have considered posting the above had it not been for the total silance (even to me) of Florian and Peter about the progress (or lack of) of the dp project over the past 6/12/24 months.

I still regard deliplayer as one of the best audio p[layers for Windows...... but I have to admit I am very upset that the project has ground to a halt in such a way.

I don't know what else to say?! !!!!!! ???????????????
Me neither.

Quote:
Either you've bastardised your windows XP Installation, you've bastardised your Deliplayer installation or your sound card drivers are not WHQL certified.
Quintissential player works fine. Winamp works fine. WMP works fine. MPC works fine. VLan works fine. XMplayer works fine. Every modern game works fine. All drivers a certified and the latest versions. I even develop, compile and debug software that outputs sound, even that doesn't crash \ BSOD it. It was Deliplayer.

Pretty funny to find your own message in their bug report section, though

Quote:
Hi,

I've been using deliplayer for a long time (I registered) since upgrading to DP 2.50 beta I've noticed a few crashes every now and again windows reports the same module "dpmixer.dll"

I've got a Pentium III 866 CPU, Windows XP SP2, Soundblaster Live (original) with the Creative drivers.

It appears to be most likely to occur with mulitchannel (more than 4) mods but it has happened on others.

I'm using the out of the box setup & Spartan Functional skin, I have the panel, playlist1, level meter and wavescope open.

I drag and drop the file over the playlist.... it loads and starts to play.... then at some time later the mixing is screwed up (clicks crackles etc.) and a few seconds later it stops and windows informs you that "DeliPlayer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" If you look at the data this error report contains it tells you "ModName: dpmixer.dll"

Deliplayer remains open after you acknowledge all this and is still usable (i.e. all menus work etc.) but it wont play. You exit and open and everything is back to normal.

It's easy to trigger using a couple of mods I have (on my system at least). There is a possibility that the mods are corrupt but they have done the rounds on the internet and play on delitracker and older versions of DP.

Regards

Alex Holland
Thalion Webshrine
http://umcus.org/~alexh
Their bugreport area on their official website speaks for itself.

Quote:
If you sort all 3 out I guarantee that it will work much better than you claim. I've got multiple systems and run deliplayer on all 3 and almost never have issues.
Almost... . There's apps that do work, why should i use one that works... almost. What's more XMplay is free, and it works, fully. Deliplayer was neither.

Quote:
You've never programmed have you?
Yes, i have.

Quote:
Finding difficult unpredictable bugs is boring, adding new features is fun
They were getting paid by users. They weren't there to have fun with somebody else's money. Several times paying costumers asked them to stop adding useless new features, some of them plain useless, such as the UI change, and fix bugs that were totally stopping the show for them.

Quote:
Registration was only right at the start. I registered perhaps 2 days after they opened. Registration was cancelled shortly afterwards
Their official spokesperson on their official website board said more over this then i ever could:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Just want to point out that myself or Alexander have never received any payment for our deliplayer input.

Speaking for myself I would be very embarrassed by now had I taken any cut of the registered product.

Its staggering that we still have no contact with the authors. and indeed that this forum is still alive.

Some extreemly nice features were to be included into a new release. In particular a playlist function which could have rendered all other playlist systems void..... Im talking truly revolutionary.
I was told that it was possible, up, running and to be intergrated into dp2.
The code in question was by Peter. It was the realization of one of my idea's. If Peter actually got it working ......well !!!!! Its certainlty a cut above.

Hope to one side though.......... The breakdown in communication has now reached terminal levels.

For all I know both Florian and Peter could be in jail somewhere !? At least that would be a plausible explanation for the lack of ..... ' anything '
Quote:
Winamp is so 1998!
That wasn't my point, when your functions are laid out in winamp plugin format there's tons of applications out there that have it implemented, QMPlayer does this for instance, so all Winamp plugins are available to dozens of other applications immediately, thus the interest.

I'm glad that DP works great for some people out there. For me, and others, it hasn't, and i do find the way they dealt with it pretty unacceptable, but then again in the Amiga business world seems pretty common, that probably explains where the Amiga is today.
Old 02 April 2007, 19:15   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
This is a payed for program. Lots of people payed to register it. They were being payed to develop it.
No they weren't. Check your license agreement. There is no maintainence in that license. They were paid for what they had developed, bugs and all.

Quote:
It's not if (Deliplayer is abandoned).
Check again. Someone posted this letter on 15th March 2007:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kunath
Hi John

Sorry for the long delay, but I was on vacation after I finished my PhD.

DeliPlayer's development is not stopped, but on hibernation. Both, Florian
and I are quite occupied with our jobs and don't have as much time as before
to development DeliPlayer. Thus, it is unclear when we will be able to
release a new version.
Concering making DeliPlayer open-source: I guess it is quite pointless because
DeliPlayer is a really huge project (it's sources are > 10MB zipped). I doubt
that anybody would take the time to understand the inner workings of DP
(and that's necessary before you can make modifications to the source code).

Regards,

Peter.
Quote:
Pretty funny to find your own message in their bug report section, though
That is a bug. It happens from time to time. It is annoying, you restart deliplayer and get on with it

Quote:
Almost... . There's apps that do work, why should i use one that works... almost. What's more XMplay is free, and it works, fully. Deliplayer was neither.
Deliplayer turned into a free product after the authors realised that they were not going to be able to make enough money from it for it to be their full time job. Quite rightly too. It was a bummer if like me you had already paid but hey lifes not fair

Quote:
I'm glad that DP works great for some people out there. For me, and others, it hasn't, and i do find the way they dealt with it pretty unacceptable, but then again in the Amiga business world seems pretty common, that probably explains where the Amiga is today.
If you had sought a refund within a given time period after you paid I am sure that they would have given you one. You didnt. The end.

Last edited by alexh; 02 April 2007 at 19:22.
Old 02 April 2007, 21:56   #13
mtb

On their forum i read someone have compiled it for cygwin

Note that it is command line driven ( i'm quite sure it has been compiled without the xmms - audacious frontend ). But if someone is interested, asking the binary on that forum could be useful.
Old 03 April 2007, 00:42   #14
MethodGit

Cheers for the heads-up, mtb.

Alex, could you perhaps point this apparent freeware version of DP out to me by any chance? The website still has a buy link that asks you to pay $20/€20/£15 for a keyfile, and looking around the forum I can't appear to find any kind of "free keyfile" or whatever that someone may have offered.
Old 03 April 2007, 00:58   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

What you are talking about is "deliplayer pro" which was normal DP with this stream recorder doobrie plugin and some extra playlist stuff. You dont need any of that.

Originally DP was (I think) in some sort of demo mode and you had to register to get rid of nag screens etc. but they got rid of all that.
Old 12 April 2007, 12:37   #16
AxelFoley

XMPlay on gamebase.

Can someone show me how to make XMPlay play the music from Amiga Gamebase. I know how to set up the player, but can't get it to play the music.
Old 12 April 2007, 12:46   #17
s2325
Zone Friend

XMPlay is only for OGG / MP3 / MP2 / MP1 / WMA / WAV / CDA / MO3 / IT / XM / S3M / MTM / MOD / UMX / PLS / M3U / ASX without plugins.
Old 12 April 2007, 13:20   #18
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I was recently looking at XMPlay for use with GameBase, as s2325 has said, you need plugins, specificially the zip and delix plugin.

However it still doesn't work properly, playing a new song from GameBase will actually cause XMPlay to quit first, and you've got to press the play music button again for it to work..
Old 14 April 2007, 10:31   #19
AxelFoley

Ok, Thanks guys.
Will stick to Deliplayer then.
AdSense AdSense