English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 December 2007, 21:45   #21
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

TBH: Nothing that could remotely run OS4. (Not one of my many computers has a PPC in it)

While the above is a nice idea I honestly believe it's a non-starter, if anyone wishes to prove me wrong I'd be very happy. (and for Hyperion)

At the risk of going over well worn ground; so you know my POV:
-OS4 @ this point makes no sense.
-Non-the-less I'd happily buy a copy if I could use it.
(how many people here use 'Amigas' because it makes sense?)

-Call it history or politics, OS4 has been compiled to the wrong platform.
why?
Two reasons:
-Hardware availability + price of joining in.
-IMO: The Amiga is dead. It's a retro-hobby now. (or ought to be) Keeping it on 'life-support' is both hampering that retro-hobby and hampering the development of 'modern' Amiga-like OS's such as OS4.

For any that disagree with this POV, that's fine. Please don't take this as OS4 or Amiga bashing - it's not.

Sorry wandering off-topic...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 December 2007, 21:46   #22
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Hyperion didnt even do the drivers for the internal SCSI controllers on the A3000 or A4000T or the G-REX PCI bridgeboard!

They are not going to have done any drivers for a sharkppc and hidden them on the AOS4 classic disc, no matter how much you want it to be true.

If you like the idea, buy one for $20, get a Prometheus for $200 and get coding, if you cant code it's tough.
Old 01 December 2007, 23:08   #23
CU_AMiGA
Banned

oh great! more lies and broken promises! vapourware strikes yet again! here is wot i think of the whole fucking fiasco! no wonder are sharky friend aka JAWS at the bottom has such a snarly/angry face!

Last edited by CU_AMiGA; 01 December 2007 at 23:14.
Old 19 December 2007, 11:58   #24
Brass
Zone Friend

Important News

IMPORTANT NEWS for everyone with a mediator ( well possibly )

I have spoken to sonnet these cards are PCI and should run in theory on anything PC included.

These cards have NO firmware so no firmware updates to get it to work in theory.

What it does come with is software for the Mac.

I.E you turn it on and it goes.

I have brought one and will attemp to get it running on my mediator by figuring out what the mac software does and then attempting the same thing. If I have to try it on the PC first so be it.

Just thought you would all be interested in the firmware stuff.

Cheers

Forgot to mention the chipset is TSI-107 from Tundra formaly motorola MPC series chip

Last edited by Brass; 19 December 2007 at 12:00. Reason: more info oops
Old 19 December 2007, 14:49   #25
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
To avoid a new thread......

Additionally he felt that support for DMA PCI cards in AmigaOS4 mediator based machines should not be hard to develop....
Sorry, I'm a bit confused with this stuff, so a question:

In theory could you get a SharkPPC PCI card for an 060 based Amiga with Mediator and run OS4.0 and PPC Amiga software like Wipeout 2097 while retaining a conventional Amiga boot option?
Old 19 December 2007, 15:06   #26
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
In theory could you get a SharkPPC PCI card for an 060 based Amiga with Mediator and run OS4.0 and PPC Amiga software like Wipeout 2097 while retaining a conventional Amiga boot option?
Maybe, it probably depends on the firmware / compatibility of the Mediator/Prometheus/G-REX to support multi-master PCI systems.

Also it would be more like an AmigaOne with bolted-on Amiga rather than the current PowerUp solution.

You would almost certainly need a PCI gfx card as accessing the Amiga chipset via PCI will probably not work well (if at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
attempt to get it running on my mediator by figuring out what the mac software does and then attempting the same thing.
Sorry to piss on your parade, but unless you are a good Amiga coder who knows the ins and outs of AmigaOS 3.x and AmigaOS4.0 you don't have a chance. If Hyperion chose not to develop down this route, you can trust that it was for a good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Just thought you would all be interested in the firmware stuff.
Yeah, I did speculate there was no firmware, good to know for sure.

Last edited by alexh; 19 December 2007 at 15:18.
Old 19 December 2007, 16:22   #27
Angus
Amiga Games Database

[quote=alexh;380373]
You would almost certainly need a PCI gfx card as accessing the Amiga chipset via PCI will probably not work well (if at all).

quote]

Well, I think that's a given - you need a Voodoo 3 or similar for a mediator to actually work at all.

But anyway, hmmmmm......

Is there any reason to suppose these will become available?
Old 19 December 2007, 19:05   #28
Pyromania

If Elbox needs one of these $40 cards for development purposes DiscreetFX does not mind buying it for them.

Old 19 December 2007, 22:35   #29
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Is there any reason to suppose these will become available?
No. The PPC chips are no longer made.

All there are is whatever back stock Sonnet still have / second hand market.
Old 23 December 2007, 15:29   #30
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@ Brass

Appartently there is some electrical incompatibility with the Shark/Sonnet PPC cards and the Mediator, in that the card requires 3.3V, but the Mediator does not provide it. There is a comment by platon42 on amiga.org:

http://www.amiga.org/modules/newbb/v...r=ASC&start=25

Quote:
Because it cannot work in an unmodified Mediator *ever* as it's missing the required 3,3 V traces. It cannot work for other reasons, at least not if it wants to have access the the motherboard hardware. mboehmer could elaborate on this, and I'm sure you will find some information about it somewhere.
The following URL has info on the different PCI standards with relation to 3.3V and 5V, and that they should be keyed differently, although some cards are keyed for both slots:

http://www.meinberg.de/english/info/pci.htm
Old 23 December 2007, 18:26   #31
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
@alexh
hmm true, yet when imbecilies are willing to pay $800+ for a 040 603e BPPC, it suggests there is a market for the SharkPPC
Old 23 December 2007, 18:45   #32
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
hey Fred thats a mis quote !! Why I oughtta come over there and rip yer throat out! Instead I'll eat yer mother stuffed with chestnuts and orange on the 25th.....
Old 23 December 2007, 19:00   #33
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
@ Brass

Appartently there is some electrical incompatibility with the Shark/Sonnet PPC cards and the Mediator, in that the card requires 3.3V, but the Mediator does not provide it. There is a comment by platon42 on amiga.org:

http://www.amiga.org/modules/newbb/v...r=ASC&start=25
I read that too, but the electrical compatibility could be overcome, it's more likely that it doent support Multi-master.
Old 28 July 2008, 23:49   #34
salax54

Hi there,
I figured most of you would be curious to know my experiment..
Got me a Sonnet Crescendo 7200 G3@400 which by the way comes (as is already known) with 3 RAM sockets. Thus, i plugged in two 128MB RAM sticks from my powermac (not common SDRAM because it won't even fit physically) 5V ones. A friend of mine has a Mediator TX board so we fitted it there and fired 'er up. It was a no-go. Meaning: The 4.0 floppy booted, rebooted, and came to a Shell where we got the message of not enough memory.
This was a stock A1200 with no extra memory/acc boards of any kind.
Other than that, we had a Voodoo 3 3000, and fast ATA but the results were the same with/without 'em.
So we guessed that we needed some extra memory for the 1200 before we would repeat the test. We borrowed an 1240 card with 32MB, did the same again, and after reboot we did not get the memory message.
What we did get was a return code 20 error.
if we gave the Bootloader command we got an error of Kickstart/intuition.library.kmod not opening
Tried various changes in the hardware such as jumper settings on the Mediator, remove Voodoo, PCI slot changes, but always got to the same error.
Maybe the $20 (plus shipping went to $51) was a waste of money but i ain't that much worried about it. We Amigans are known to spend money and sell bodily parts anyway...
It's just that if it worked it would save a lot of people's wallets. OWC has had them in stock and i thought what the heck? let's give it a try.
If anyone has a bright idea or two just shoot!
My 2 cents of participation..
Old 28 July 2008, 23:58   #35
keropi

no go, no way it will just work...
Old 17 August 2010, 22:32   #36
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by salax54 View Post
Hi there,
I figured most of you would be curious to know my experiment..
Got me a Sonnet Crescendo 7200 G3@400 which by the way comes (as is already known) with 3 RAM sockets. Thus, i plugged in two 128MB RAM sticks from my powermac (not common SDRAM because it won't even fit physically) 5V ones. A friend of mine has a Mediator TX board so we fitted it there and fired 'er up. It was a no-go. Meaning: The 4.0 floppy booted, rebooted, and came to a Shell where we got the message of not enough memory.
This was a stock A1200 with no extra memory/acc boards of any kind.
Other than that, we had a Voodoo 3 3000, and fast ATA but the results were the same with/without 'em.
So we guessed that we needed some extra memory for the 1200 before we would repeat the test. We borrowed an 1240 card with 32MB, did the same again, and after reboot we did not get the memory message.
What we did get was a return code 20 error.
if we gave the Bootloader command we got an error of Kickstart/intuition.library.kmod not opening
Tried various changes in the hardware such as jumper settings on the Mediator, remove Voodoo, PCI slot changes, but always got to the same error.
Maybe the $20 (plus shipping went to $51) was a waste of money but i ain't that much worried about it. We Amigans are known to spend money and sell bodily parts anyway...
It's just that if it worked it would save a lot of people's wallets. OWC has had them in stock and i thought what the heck? let's give it a try.
If anyone has a bright idea or two just shoot!
My 2 cents of participation..
Great try But it won't work as the OS4 Bootloader only knows to look for blizzard ppc or cyberstorm ppc ...

No other support for PPC card. Theoretically it could work if support were added, though.
Old 17 August 2010, 23:02   #37
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
Theoretically it could work if support were added, though.
I don't think it could. We've discussed this before. The current mediator chip-set will almost certainly not be enough to use this card.
AdSense AdSense