English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 March 2007, 02:37   #1
dave4shmups

Want to get an Amiga CD32 SO BAD!!...

I live in the States and have been told that all you do is select your region (this would be on an NTSC Amiga CD32), but I've also been told that PAL games won't work on an NTSC CD32.

So, what's the truth about this?? I mean, the box of an NTSC CD32 does have stuff written on it in French, Spanish, etc, so I would think that it would be region-free.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 March 2007, 05:14   #2
r.cade

Send a message via AIM to r.cade Send a message via MSN to r.cade Send a message via Yahoo to r.cade
They work on the NTSC CD32 but you have to have a monitor or TV that will display 50Hz, otherwise it rolls and/or you can't see all of the screen.
Old 27 March 2007, 06:39   #3
dave4shmups

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.cade
They work on the NTSC CD32 but you have to have a monitor or TV that will display 50Hz, otherwise it rolls and/or you can't see all of the screen.
OK, thanks for the info. Where would I get a TV that can display 50Hz?
Old 27 March 2007, 13:35   #4
tootoid

How does the CD32 connect to the TV? On the more modern TV's I've used you can go into the setup menus and select which colour system (PAL/NTSC) you want to use on the AV sockets. Failing that you'd need some kind of converter box.

I don't even know if they use SCART in the US but if the CD32 can ouput RGB signals via SCART you can use a full RGB SCART lead and avoid the whole problem. I do this with my Jap Dreamcast/Playstation1, PAL/NTSC issues only affect composite video signals as far as I know.

Last edited by tootoid; 27 March 2007 at 14:53.
Old 01 April 2007, 15:12   #5
Ze_ro

Be careful about using a PAL CD32 in North America... Even though everyone says that the CD32 can easily switch between PAL and NTSC, what they really mean is that it can easily switch between 50Hz and 60Hz... you can NOT change the color format it uses! A few years back I bought a PAL CD32 which I planned to hook to a 1084S, but when I did, I couldn't get anything but a black and white picture (though it handled 50Hz fine).

I've been told that this problem only applies when you hook a CD32 up via composite video or S-Video... RGB handles color differently, so if you're hooking up to an RGB monitor, you won't have color problems (though the CD32 doesn't have an RGB port on the back, so you'd need to either modify it or buy one of the expensive expansion cards).

Unless you're sure you have a workaround for the color issues, I'd recommend you spend the extra money and get an NTSC system instead. Be aware though that you WILL need some way of displaying 50Hz. It's almost impossible to tell whether a CD32 game is PAL or NTSC until you actually try it out.

Another thing that's worth pointing out is that while some games are nice enough to ask you what video mode to use, there are many games that will happily display their title screen in NTSC mode, and then mysteriously crash when the game starts. If something like this happens, try it in PAL mode instead. I've also found a handful of games that would crash if they WEREN'T in NTSC (Again, you can't tell until you try the game). I've also found at least one game (F17 Challenge) that would not work AT ALL on an NTSC machine (regardless of what video mode I force it into), yet works fine on my PAL machine.

It's unfortunate that this is so complicated... you'd think developers could just read a register to figure out what region your system is, and then use the appropriate video mode
Old 01 April 2007, 19:14   #6
Pyromania

I have a CD32 dave4shmups but you can't have mine.

Old 09 April 2007, 17:03   #7
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania
I have a CD32 dave4shmups but you can't have mine.

you meanie!

On that note you can't have mine either
Old 09 April 2007, 17:15   #8
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s
you meanie!

On that note you can't have mine either
Nor mine. I waited long enough to find one for the right price with the right amount of accessories
Old 09 April 2007, 22:10   #9
Dooly

Neither one of the two I own...
(I bought one and a friend gave me the other)

It looks good next to my other commodore machines: C64, A500, A1200 (all working fine except maybe the 1541 floppy drive for the C64)...
Nuclear War quote: "Note: you're stockpiling!"
Old 26 April 2007, 14:36   #10
seuden
uber cool demi god

Lol, there's one on ebay.co.uk right now going for around 21 incl p&P to UK
Old 26 January 2010, 00:50   #11
dave4shmups

I was thinking about this system again, recently, and I wonder how you'd plug a PAL CD32 into an American socket? Would you have to get a stepdown converter? I had an Asian PS2 that had what you'd call an "English" plug, and I simply went to a Radio Shack and got a different one.
Old 26 January 2010, 00:59   #12
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
The best way is just to use a PC PSU with an American power plug, and get a cheap CD32 power adapter for it from www.amigamaniac.com . A PC power supply will only use the power that the CD32 needs to draw, so it won't be wasting heaps of power if you can't find one that's less than 300-400w, however if you plan on expanding the CD32, the new PSU will happily power all your extra peripherals without a chance of c rashing, like it would if you stuck with the original Commodore PSU.
Old 26 January 2010, 01:03   #13
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4shmups View Post
I was thinking about this system again, recently, and I wonder how you'd plug a PAL CD32 into an American socket? Would you have to get a stepdown converter? I had an Asian PS2 that had what you'd call an "English" plug, and I simply went to a Radio Shack and got a different one.
I would guess that since the cd32 psu is external either find a us cd32 psu or a compatible us amiga one.
Old 26 January 2010, 02:09   #14
exoticaga

Couldn't something like these be used for ntsc, use phono lead for rgb video instead of the s-video socket ?

Last edited by exoticaga; 23 August 2010 at 06:21.
Old 26 January 2010, 02:48   #15
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
cd32 is +12V and +5V fairly easy to find
Old 26 January 2010, 11:04   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
Couldn't something like these be used for ntsc, use phono lead for rgb video instead of the s-video socket ?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
the CD32 doesn't have an RGB port on the back, so you'd need to either modify it or buy one of the expensive expansion cards.
I'm pretty sure that French "SECAM" CD32's have RGB out. Easily recognisable cos they don't have RF.

If you live in USA and you have a TV/monitor which accepts RGB and you want an EU CD32 then you should aim to get a French one.

Last edited by alexh; 26 January 2010 at 11:12.
Old 16 February 2010, 20:36   #17
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
hi Dave,

I spent months pondering and finally purchasing a couple of CD32's and I live in the states as well.

First, I recommend getting a true PAL CD32. I bought mine from Amigakit. They have the PAL CD32 systems and US spec Power supplies in stock and they work fine together.

Second, get a used multisystem TV off of eBay or Craigslist. I found one for $40, all problems solved as it displays PAL perfectly.
AdSense AdSense