English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Is using 'save state' considered cheating?
Yes, it is! 18 56.25%
No, it's not! 9 28.13%
Not so sure... 5 15.63%
Erm, save what? 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 March 2007, 01:48   #41
VermillioN

Cheating? Yes... yes it is
It's the famous "save your game at any time" cheat..

AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 March 2007, 01:57   #42
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
I agree Adropac2... I was only able to finish Half-Life 2 because I saved every few minutes

Some of those final stages with Striders everywhere were difficult though

Using the built in save game feature in HL2 is not cheating.
Old 15 March 2007, 02:21   #43
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
Using the built in save game feature in HL2 is not cheating.
Yes not technically seeing as it's part of the game but it was hardly how the developer wanted Half Life to be played - i'm not sure valve would congratulate itself if that how the majority of players abused this feature.It's too tempting and if it wasn't there then people would enjoy the game more (providing a decent save system was implemented).It's out of laziness that the developers can't come up with a better system like others have in their games.
Old 15 March 2007, 02:48   #44
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2
It's out of laziness that the developers can't come up with a better system like others have in their games.
Like the built in auto and chapter save? Last time I checked HL2 had one of the most balanced save systems around.
Old 15 March 2007, 02:53   #45
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Yep the autosaving is fine , i'm on about the quick saves.
Old 15 March 2007, 04:24   #46
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Don't forget that playing something over and over can get borring, and people can abandon future playing...
Old 15 March 2007, 08:29   #47
StarEye
Zone Friend

Tsk, save states are cheating as long as you use it to progress through a game (doesn't include those doing research and stuff like that). If it was possible back then, it would've been included in trainers and such.
People only say it's not cheating because for some reason they need to defend their actions. So here's a tip: it's alright to cheat. It's cheating in multiplayer that gives you an advantage that's a no-no.

Some cheating is okay, some is not. What you consider okay and not is up to yourself.
Old 15 March 2007, 11:37   #48
Ironclaw
Banned

Also, some games (don't remember which ones) has it so you can only save a limited amount of times... it was also based on the difficulty set in the game.... maybe it was doom3, hl2 or something....
Old 15 March 2007, 12:27   #49
DamienD
Global Moderator

Resident Evil is a good example, you can only save if you collect the ink and you then need to find a typewriter...

Saying this, when I played it through ePSXe (which has save states) I was saving quite a bit... Definitely cheating
Old 15 March 2007, 12:49   #50
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
Tsk, save states are cheating as long as you use it to progress through a game (doesn't include those doing research and stuff like that). If it was possible back then, it would've been included in trainers and such.
People only say it's not cheating because for some reason they need to defend their actions. So here's a tip: it's alright to cheat. It's cheating in multiplayer that gives you an advantage that's a no-no.
Now comparison of save state and game trainer is where you can see that save state is not cheating. With save state you have still to collect for your self all weapon upgrades etc. while with trainer you can have them by pressing of the button.

Let's compare arcade games. You started new game and you lost life after couple screens. You put some more money and you continue with the game from where you left. Is that cheating? Developer made it possible, so shouldn't be cheating according to many here?!
Old 15 March 2007, 18:23   #51
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
Now comparison of save state and game trainer is where you can see that save state is not cheating. With save state you have still to collect for your self all weapon upgrades etc. while with trainer you can have them by pressing of the button.

Let's compare arcade games. You started new game and you lost life after couple screens. You put some more money and you continue with the game from where you left. Is that cheating? Developer made it possible, so shouldn't be cheating according to many here?!
Arcade games were designed to nick your money.By the time you have pumped in enough credits and have gotten good enough , you have done what the developers wanted in the first place.I like to be as good as i can at an arcade game but not knowing the game or it's patterns means i would need to go through that proccess just to get that good.That wouldn't be cheating at that point as there is no other way to do this.It would be cheating if i was to say i had completed an arcade game properly ie without dying and this wasn't this case.It's cheating depending on how you want to look at it i suppose as it's perfectly fine to do any of this but technically it's cheating if you are to complete any game with lives that designers had not given to you in the first place.Putting a 2nd and 3rd coin into an arcade game to continue is a player's admmission that he can't play the game at a level needed to complete it.If a person isn't a great player then this is what you do.You could apply that same rule then to any save states too but generally home games are easier these days and have difficulty settings so not really.Arcades are a little different i think anyway.Iv'e completed 1 or 2 older arcade games but generally i get my arse kicked on most of them.I would certainly consider it cheating if i claimed i had beaten a game with more than 1 credit when i hadn't but it wouldn't bother me if i completed a game using this method.

And if you like to just go through games because you can't be bothered trying that much then saves are ideal.I truly don't think i would attempt to go through Shadow of the beast 1 or 2 because i simply don't have the concentration , stamina or skill for it.One day however i would like to play through to finish in a more relaxed way so i will be relying on save states.I won't consider myself cheating at that point because it won't be full on serious but technically i will be cheating - it's just that it wont matter that i am cheating.For that reason states are brilliant.

Last edited by Adropac2; 15 March 2007 at 19:03.
Old 15 March 2007, 18:42   #52
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
A better question is: are they 'games' at all?
shame on you !! i could not stand at the time these reviewers giving so poor scores to these games...you remember these sequential games where you had to memorize a sequence of notes or moves as long as possible...that's exactly the same apart from the fact that you don't just watch the arrow flash or listen to the note playing, your move affect the movie playing..that melted with the fact that you don't listen to the sequence before playing, you have to discover it step by step....but still once discovered you have to remember it! i remember having a lot of fun playing these with my friends!....i REALLY MEAN IT
Old 15 March 2007, 21:11   #53
laffer
Zone Friend

I used savestates to practice Shadow of the Beast again.. I finished it on the Amiga though years ago but I'd forgotten a lot.
I finished it without using savestates of course once I'd practiced a little. I made a longplay of it too (and the sequel as well which I also finished without savestates but did use savestates to practice certain parts before recording).
AdSense AdSense