English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 31 May 2007, 15:38   #61
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Wonderful!

Call me sad, but my main interest in things Amiga are old mags.
Glad to see you're also adding editorial sections. ( of more interest to me than the game reviews )

I've got most ( not all ) AmigaActive mags, so pm me if you want them scanned...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 31 May 2007, 17:21   #62
Gavilan
Amiga user & abuser

Send a message via ICQ to Gavilan Send a message via MSN to Gavilan Send a message via Skype™ to Gavilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
It's never too late!

I'm sure you'll be able to make a great contribution - I'll PM you shortly. We'll definitely be interested in the Spanish mags and anything that is missing a coverscan for starters. And if you're willing to help index reviews that would be great too.
Well, then i guess its time to ...count me in in the project!!!

To let you know...the Spanish Amiga mags i have are the Spanish amiga World version (yep, the Same content that US Amiga World Version but written in Spanish) and another one Called Amiga Info. Great mags by the way (only cool if you can read/speak spanish )

Anyway, i guess in about 10/12 days i will be completely moved in my "new" apartment, so PM anytime so we can sort things out

PD: of course, i have 3 scanners at this moment, i guess its about time, to start watching for a new one...

Sebastian
Old 31 May 2007, 17:32   #63
DamienD
Global Moderator

Guys, if you want to contribute it's probably best posting in this section of EAB
Old 04 June 2007, 13:53   #64
onkelarie

Awesome work everyone!

It was nice to see after all these years, that little article about my coverdisk submission (two Tune-of-the-month compositions)

Thumbs up!
Old 19 June 2007, 22:26   #65
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
This is amazing work Its bloody great how people are willing to put some time into this kinda thing as scanning magazines is very time consuming and eventually all these magazines will vanish, rot away, get thrown and recycled etc.

I say THANK YOU and keep up the good work
Old 20 June 2007, 02:29   #66
jimbo100

Great work but why not some hardware reviews as well, only content is games pages, most of the mag is missing which is disappointing!
Old 20 June 2007, 05:09   #67
Galaxy

Other reviews will come in time. As I've already stated in several places the initial focus is on games due to the tie-in with HOL.
Old 20 June 2007, 07:51   #68
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo100
Great work but why not some hardware reviews as well, only content is games pages, most of the mag is missing which is disappointing!
You are welcome to index and scan the hardware pages for us! We will happily use anything you can supply us...
Old 20 June 2007, 11:05   #69
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Is there a bandwidth limit in place at the moment on AMR?
Old 20 June 2007, 11:29   #70
Codetapper

RCK kindly provides the hosting, and it's set to a certain number of scan views per day to prevent people mass leeching the entire site.
Old 05 July 2007, 20:29   #71
BuZz

Send a message via ICQ to BuZz
I think the limit is a bit tight. I viewed about 10 pics (not much bandwidth) and then I could view no more. Why not put them on ftp, with some mirrors? You could then utilise the b/w of multiple sites. I could offer a couple of mirrors.
Old 05 July 2007, 22:12   #72
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Buzz
That's sounds a bit weird. I'm sure I've viewed more than 10 pics in a day without complaint. Anyone else had such problems? Will have to get RCK to look into it either way I guess. He's a bit busy with a newborn bub atm, though.
Old 05 July 2007, 23:56   #73
Codetapper

Buzz: There is a bar at the bottom of the screen showing how many pics you have viewed in AMR, and after 20 pics it will ask you to prove you're not a bot by answering a question. Then you will be allowed to view a lot more pics!
Old 06 July 2007, 00:55   #74
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Buzz will be using the Konquerer browser, perhaps there is an issue?
Old 06 July 2007, 02:11   #75
BuZz

All i saw was a pic which said "reload" to continue or something. I reloaded, and now I can't view anymore ..

not that many bots index images anyway surely ? (and the ones which do should obey robots.txt).

Yeh, im using konqueror.

edit: Oh, and if you are doing this to stop people leeching the entire site, why not offer a torrent of the images ? I would be happy to seed such a collection.
Old 06 July 2007, 04:58   #76
blade002
Zone Friend

Im sure i could contribute "alot" to Magazine Rack, i just need to get those Magazines from my mums place ( and how long have i been saying that for )... i keep putting it off... I must get them soon for my own nostalgia anyway.
Old 06 July 2007, 15:25   #77
Codetapper

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuZz
All i saw was a pic which said "reload" to continue or something. I reloaded, and now I can't view anymore ..
Nobody else has reported any problems like that, what does the red bar at the bottom of the screen tell you?

Quote:
not that many bots index images anyway surely ? (and the ones which do should obey robots.txt).
Search engines should obey, bots designed to leech an entire site won't.

Quote:
edit: Oh, and if you are doing this to stop people leeching the entire site, why not offer a torrent of the images ? I would be happy to seed such a collection.
We have better things to do with our time than make up hundreds of torrents of the images. The site is constantly changing with more and more stuff going up all the time. Whatever we put in a torrent, someone would bitch about it (eg. naming system used, pages with ads missing, certain scans being poor quality etc). It's just not worth the hassle. The current system allows us to upload scans as and when we can, and not to worry about time-wasting useless stuff like maintaining torrents.

The goal of the site is so you can find scores from reviews (shared with HOL), and link to the review or article you want to read if we have them, not to preserve every page of every Amiga magazine issue.

A lot of the magazine scans you can get yourself by supporting Mort and buying a DVD with them on. There are DVDs of The One, Zzap, C+VG, ACE, Zero, early CU's etc. The current system means people that just want to view the odd review or issue can do so easily, and people that want to leech all the scans will hopefully find it easier to support Mort.

Incidentally, the last email contact I had with Exotica was you guys promising to put the Final Over mods I sent in 2005 into Unexotica soon and they are still not online.
Old 06 July 2007, 16:41   #78
BuZz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
Nobody else has reported any problems like that, what does the red bar at the bottom of the screen tell you?
So, then I'm the first to report it (Someone has to be the first!)
there is a bar, but says nothing. Maybe try on windows safari (similar code base to konqueror)

Quote:
We have better things to do with our time than make up hundreds of torrents of the images. The site is constantly changing with more and more stuff going up all the time. Whatever we put in a torrent, someone would bitch about it (eg. naming system used, pages with ads missing, certain scans being poor quality etc). It's just not worth the hassle. The current system allows us to upload scans as and when we can, and not to worry about time-wasting useless stuff like maintaining torrents.
Well, one torrent every years would be ok. You can make a torrent from the actual file archive quite easily. I'm sure people wouldn't complain.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
A lot of the magazine scans you can get yourself by supporting Mort and buying a DVD with them on. There are DVDs of The One, Zzap, C+VG, ACE, Zero, early CU's etc. The current system means people that just want to view the odd review or issue can do so easily, and people that want to leech all the scans will hopefully find it easier to support Mort.
Yeh i have some on DVD, but not like amiga format etc.

Quote:
Incidentally, the last email contact I had with Exotica was you guys promising to put the Final Over mods I sent in 2005 into Unexotica soon and they are still not online.
Sure it was 2005? I think it was probably 2006. But XtC became a father etc, and has been busy.

Also we have been really hard working on the new incarnation of unexotica (which supports demo rips). It's running now if you want to have a look.

http://dev.exotica.org.uk/wiki/UnExoticA

edit: Oh. and you even have your own category ;-) http://dev.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Categ..._by_Codetapper

Last edited by BuZz; 06 July 2007 at 16:52.
Old 26 December 2007, 02:31   #79
Earthling

I've just spent about 2 hours on there, completely lost track of time.

It's a brilliant website. Although kind of depressing to read the magazines. As early as '96 with Escom/Viscorp things we're getting pretty gloomy.

Old 26 December 2007, 08:46   #80
sink

very rgeat site!!! thk for your work!! totally fantastic!
AdSense AdSense