English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 February 2007, 04:32   #1
laffer
Zone Friend

Does anyone have any questions for the programmer of Wrath of the Demon?

I got this PM on Youtube today -

Quote:
Hi,

I'm contacting you regarding the series of Wrath of the Demon videos you've posted on youtube a few days ago. I was pretty honered to see that someone took the time to play through the whole game in one sitting and then post it online. Seeing you play brought back lots of memories of the making of this game... The good old days when video games could be made by a team of three. LOL! In case you haven't guessed already, I was the programmer of Wrath...
Finally, I was wondering if you may have a higher quality recording of those videos. I'd love to get a copy of them for my personal archives.

P.S. If you have any questions regarding the game, it will be a pleasure for me to answer them.

Best regards,

Pierre Proulx
Programmer
Abstrax
I can't think of good questions to ask to ask so I thought some of you might have some good questions?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 February 2007, 04:40   #2
Marcuz
Wurk???

CHEATS! yeah!
i have no particular question else, programming is not my area.
Old 27 February 2007, 07:01   #3
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I'd like to know how much time he spent on the copyprotection. And how he felt when the game was cracked and released. Hmm, and I'd like to know how much time he needed coding the game and if it sold well (guess I know the answer already but still...).
Old 27 February 2007, 08:11   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Why was the game so difficult, and did he ever completed it?

PS: Maybe you'll invite him here?
Old 27 February 2007, 08:18   #5
jmmijo

I seem to recall it had an interesting soundtrack like the Beast series however, I was never able to get into the game like SOTB...

I bet it used the longtrack protection scheme similar to other Readysoft titles of the day, i.e., Dragons Lair and Space Ace...

EDIT: Yes, I'm sure it used some longtrack/custom disk format, I just noted that once of the coders was David Foster, the main person behind the popular Paperback/Pocket Writer apps for the C64/C128 which also used an advanced custom disk format
Old 27 February 2007, 10:19   #6
laffer
Zone Friend

I won't ask about the copy protection then.

I thought I might ask if he had any funny stories from the development of the game and if he has any cool stuff related to it he could send me like perhaps some concept art or scans of posters or stuff like that.
Old 27 February 2007, 10:51   #7
Ironclaw
Banned

It's quite sad, laffer you waste your time recording amiga games to just put them on youtube in PARTS and low quality.... that sucks.... come on . send your movies to recordedamigagames.. there is also a tutorial for getting near perfect quality loss movies.

So, read NoX's tutorial here. When you know how to do the stuff in the tutorial, you will get small movies files, perfect quality AND one whole movie file on recordedamigagames AND youtube... not splitted.

If you need further help or got any questions, just post them in our forum.

Old 27 February 2007, 11:38   #8
laffer
Zone Friend

I don't consider it a waste of time, I think a lot of people that don't even know about Recorded Amiga games watch stuff like this on Youtube. And personally I don't think quality is all that important in longplays, you're not really watching them to admire the graphics or anything. As long as the quality is OK, I don't mind personally when watching longplays.

I have read that tutorial now however and I recorded Colorado using that technique so it's much better quality than the Wrath one.

I'm currently looking through my harddrive trying to find these longplays as some of them are pretty old and I saved them in pretty random places and I've even forgotten the names I used.

I'll upload them either today or tomorrow provided I still have them all. I just found the Dragons Lair 3 one and that one is one of the oldest ones so I think I have them all still
Old 27 February 2007, 12:10   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Ask him if he thought when he was coding it, that it would be a runaway success like shadow of the beast?

Also ask if they considered doing studio music tracks for the CDTV version or if that version was an afterthought?
Old 27 February 2007, 12:14   #10
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I'd be interested in any unreleased games for Amiga Games That Weren't.
Old 27 February 2007, 12:33   #11
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer
I won't ask about the copy protection then.

I thought I might ask if he had any funny stories from the development of the game and if he has any cool stuff related to it he could send me like perhaps some concept art or scans of posters or stuff like that.
How does the coding of a copyprotection does not belong to the development of the game? I don't get this.... I know that it was using longtracks but what about some other clever bits to make the crackers life harder? I don't get why you don't want to ask about that...
Old 27 February 2007, 12:37   #12
laffer
Zone Friend

Yeah ok I'll ask that anyway then, the reason I wrote I wouldn't ask is that the answer in this thread was good enough for me
But I'll ask then, no problem.
Old 27 February 2007, 12:44   #13
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Hehe ok I find such things interesting. Hmm, also interesting to know would be on which hardware the game was devloped. Bog standard A500/2000/3000 or something else. And how long it took to code from start to end and if he had to make many custom tools for it.
Old 27 February 2007, 13:02   #14
laffer
Zone Friend

Well I sent the mail now and hopefully I remembered to include all the questions in this thread
Old 27 February 2007, 13:40   #15
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer
I'll upload them either today or tomorrow provided I still have them all. I just found the Dragons Lair 3 one and that one is one of the oldest ones so I think I have them all still
Thanks . I consider it's better to have all movies in one place, than scattered... as there is a place for these movies, they should all be collected there .

The upload speed to the RAG server is very limited, so I suggest you host the files on a place like or something similar and then just provide the links.
Old 27 February 2007, 15:21   #16
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Arrow

Thank you for a great game Pierre! You helped make it easy to sell Amiga 500s!

My question is:
Dear Pierre, how does it feel to be one of the c00lest dudes ever in the Amiga scene?
Old 27 February 2007, 15:25   #17
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Laffer, you should really consider to upload them to Recorded Amiga Games. Many people like myself refuse to see videos on Youtube.. (bad quality, framerate, delay...)
Old 27 February 2007, 15:40   #18
laffer
Zone Friend

Yeah I will upload them as I said before in this thread, I just need to find it all. I'll most likely upload them tonight
Old 27 February 2007, 20:18   #19
Marcuz
Wurk???

i for one prefer youtube, as i don't mind the quality, i like the stream and i like all the links. but the more the longplays are present on the net, the better.

back on topic, me too i would like to know if there are info for AGTWs by the Readysoft whereabouts
Old 28 February 2007, 01:02   #20
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
How does the coding of a copyprotection does not belong to the development of the game? I don't get this.... I know that it was using longtracks but what about some other clever bits to make the crackers life harder? I don't get why you don't want to ask about that...
In many (most) cases, it doesnt - the copy protection is added right at the end of the process by a completely different person/team.

Thats why most games are cracked in such a small amount of time. Just look at how many badly implemented RNC protected games there are out there, and then look at some of the better implemented ones with exactly the same protection mechanism.
AdSense AdSense