English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 February 2007, 17:36   #21
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
But 3D is the best now, 2D is old and rubbish.
2D is a style, just like 3D is a style; that is, there is nothing 'old' in 2D just due to the fact that the hardware made 3D-games more or less impossible to create back in the days. If a game is better suited to be played in 2D (or pseudo 3D with a locked perspective to make it play like an old 2D game while offering some 3D-graphics still) it should be designed that way. To go 3D just for the sake of it just feels plain stupid, according to me.

Castlevania has tried now... 5 times, is it? But still none of the titles in 3D has managed to impress many... while the 2D ones being released almost on a yearly basis still catchtes the hearts of the reviewers and the gamers.

Update: Oh, and this is said no matter wether what I quoted was written in an ironic sense or not...

;-)

Update 2: Oh, and I just realised I am adding nothing new to this discussion. Shame on me.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 February 2007, 17:41   #22
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

2D can't even pull off polygons.
Old 15 February 2007, 17:54   #23
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
I never ever abandoned the Amiga..... just because the company producing it went bust doesn't suddenly mean they stop working, y'know?
I never really abandoned mine either, just a figure of speech on my end I did actually keep using my Amiga for the Internet, Gaming, Word Processing.. etc.. until about December 2000, and then i went the way of the PC, but soon realised after about 3 years of PC gaming, that i didnt really get that kick or joy that i got from my Amiga.

So now im back to the Amiga, although im in need of some serious money to do more with it.
Old 15 February 2007, 17:56   #24
Graham Humphrey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
I never really abandoned mine either, just a figure of speech on my end
Ok fair enough.... hope my point still holds!
Old 15 February 2007, 18:03   #25
EmuChicken

I've got a feeling KG is being VERY sarcastic....

Moonstone could NEVER become 3D, no matter what you think! ... I mean the graphics of this game are far superior to almost any game you can think of... even though its in 3D!
Old 15 February 2007, 19:19   #26
Legerdemain

Quote:
2D can't even pull off polygons.
Old 15 February 2007, 19:46   #27
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Every 3D version of a 2D game I've played has been better by 250%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
(though there is the odd exception, eg Metal Slug, but I bet they don't sell well).
The first thing I thought of when KG wrote this was Metal Slug

Metal Slug 3D is sooooo rubbish compared to the 2D versions

Another example is Altered Beast...
Old 15 February 2007, 20:04   #28
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Metal Slug 3D is superb mate. 2D ones look like some kid has drawn in his scrap book.
Old 16 February 2007, 02:08   #29
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Typical situation where people haven't got a clue about games (i.e. marketing and management) simply latch onto the "buzz" thing of the moment.

I remember quite clearly that Sony originally didn't want Worms on the original Playstation because it wasn't 3D.

And thats exactly the problem, whilst 3D games such as Tomb Raider are good in their own right, that doesn't then mean that all games will suddenly benefit from being in 3D.

I'm sure todays kids are a bit more savvy than the games industry gives them credit for, but they are too scared to put money into anything that doesn't conform to the latest fad.

Hence why we will see Fifa 2030 if we let them!

Sonic the Hedgehog and Mario were a big deal on Genesis and SNES, so long as the game is right and good, there is nothing wrong with 2D stuff, the DS Lite is proving that quite conclusively that 2D games are every bit as playable as their 3D brethren.

The other problem is, most programmers these days are university graduates who don't necessarily have a gaming background other than to appy their newly learnt skills in an industry that will pay. The management of a lot of the software companies also don't necessarily come from a gaming background.

I think Tomb Raider is a fine game, but do I really want to be playing it still in 5 years time because a software company is too scared to try a little something different?

Sigh
Old 16 February 2007, 04:36   #30
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
Typical situation where people haven't got a clue about games (i.e. marketing and management) simply latch onto the "buzz" thing of the moment.

I remember quite clearly that Sony originally didn't want Worms on the original Playstation because it wasn't 3D.

And thats exactly the problem, whilst 3D games such as Tomb Raider are good in their own right, that doesn't then mean that all games will suddenly benefit from being in 3D.

I'm sure todays kids are a bit more savvy than the games industry gives them credit for, but they are too scared to put money into anything that doesn't conform to the latest fad.

Hence why we will see Fifa 2030 if we let them!

Sonic the Hedgehog and Mario were a big deal on Genesis and SNES, so long as the game is right and good, there is nothing wrong with 2D stuff, the DS Lite is proving that quite conclusively that 2D games are every bit as playable as their 3D brethren.

The other problem is, most programmers these days are university graduates who don't necessarily have a gaming background other than to appy their newly learnt skills in an industry that will pay. The management of a lot of the software companies also don't necessarily come from a gaming background.

I think Tomb Raider is a fine game, but do I really want to be playing it still in 5 years time because a software company is too scared to try a little something different?

Sigh
Magnificent Post! My hat goes off to you
Old 16 February 2007, 11:29   #31
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

3D adds so much to a game, nothing 2D has the graphics to be good nowdays. Why do you think there are isometric games? Because they sooo wanted to be 3D but didn't have the effects power.

There hasn't been a decent 2D game in years because they don't work now consoles have more than 3 buttons!
AdSense AdSense