English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 10 February 2007, 23:19   #1
monomaniacpat

WINUAEX - an absolute nightmare to control!

I was wondering if someone here could point me in the direction of some help with regard to setting up controls for UAE on the Xbox. I'm having particular problem with CD32. I just can't seem to work out what button does what, or how the configuration menu works.

Furthermore:

1. It keeps loading a savestate from Beneath a Steel Sky everytime I go to boot a cd.

2. The screen alignment is very different on each and every game (I'm using 720p). Is there a way of getting it centred and stretched properly?

3. How do you save a CD32 game? I tried using the virtual keyboard, but none of te buttons seem to operate. Is the F5 option disabled in the game or is my controller not set up right?

Thanks for any help you can give me on these problems. I used to have an A500 as a kid, so it would be nice to revisit some old favourites!

AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 February 2007, 03:40   #2
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomaniacpat
I was wondering if someone here could point me in the direction of some help with regard to setting up controls for UAE on the Xbox. I'm having particular problem with CD32. I just can't seem to work out what button does what, or how the configuration menu works.

Furthermore:

1. It keeps loading a savestate from Beneath a Steel Sky everytime I go to boot a cd.

2. The screen alignment is very different on each and every game (I'm using 720p). Is there a way of getting it centred and stretched properly?

3. How do you save a CD32 game? I tried using the virtual keyboard, but none of te buttons seem to operate. Is the F5 option disabled in the game or is my controller not set up right?

Thanks for any help you can give me on these problems. I used to have an A500 as a kid, so it would be nice to revisit some old favourites!

Regarding savestates - most recent save states will load as default.To stop this you need to go to general options and select no for auto loading of save states.

As for the screen , it can be stretched and positioned very easily by going into CONFIGURATION/VIDEO/SCREEN POSITIONING (press the right thumb stick when in game).Each game has it's own save configuration file for screen , joypads , Amiga model etc.Be warned that loading another game will carry over the settings from the last game to be used again for current game - if a game has previously been set (loaded) however , the new screen settings wont wipe over these.

Button defining is mostly simple , just configure controller.It doesn't take much working out from there but seems a bit fiddly as first.

Last edited by Adropac2; 02 March 2007 at 16:49.
Old 11 February 2007, 03:49   #3
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Scratch that , i notice you are using UAEx.UAE is fine but bit of pain frankly in comparison to winuaex - get that instead.No disrespect mind to the port work of the first Amiga emu for Xbox but Winuaex is just about perfect.
Old 11 February 2007, 11:21   #4
monomaniacpat

No - sorry I didn't realise there were two different emulators. I am using WinUAEX. Thanks for the advice.

Is there some way to save the control/video setups for each game individually, so I don't have to change them manually between each game?

EDIT: also, I still don't know how to save a CD32 game. Do I need to use a floppy? What button presses keys on the virtual keyboard? Would it be worth my getting the Xbox USB adaptor?

Last edited by monomaniacpat; 11 February 2007 at 11:28.

Old 11 February 2007, 16:39   #5
monomaniacpat

I have another question. How do you get CDTV to work?

I it up and I got a configuration menu with some screen centreing options. I can't seem to leave this and run a CDTV game I have. What button do you press?

Old 11 February 2007, 17:08   #6
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomaniacpat

Furthermore:

1. You need to disable autoload most recent savestate.

2. I don't know if this is gonna work with 720p but I have my screen at 720x576 PAL res, point filtering and no software filters and screen positioned at 908x624. Perfect image with no screen tearing at all

3. You need to manually set the controls for CD32.
Click right thumbstick to bring up the config menu if you are ingame and enter customize controls and do it there.

Once you have it all sorted out you'll see just how brilliant this WinUAE port is.. trust me.
Old 12 February 2007, 11:08   #7
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay
2. I don't know if this is gonna work with 720p but I have my screen at 720x576 PAL res, point filtering and no software filters and screen positioned at 908x624. Perfect image with no screen tearing at all
AWESOME!

I've just been setting all of my emulators on my xbox to use point filtering and no software filters and I was having MAJOR difficulty getting WinUAEX to get it right.

THANK YOU!
Old 12 February 2007, 18:03   #8
monomaniacpat

Thanks for the further replies. Still want to know how to save CD32 games and how to run CDTV games if anyone knows how!

Old 12 February 2007, 23:32   #9
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
AWESOME!

I've just been setting all of my emulators on my xbox to use point filtering and no software filters and I was having MAJOR difficulty getting WinUAEX to get it right.

THANK YOU!
No problem, glad I could help.
I like the old school way instead of blurry screens with filtering.
Old 13 February 2007, 11:23   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I tried it out last night and WOW. I was very impressed. Pixel perfect, just what I wanted

Even Project-X looked spot on. hoorah!

Don't suppose you've managed to get Super Stardust running well under WinUAEX have ya? It runs at a decent speed but I've noticed a lot of sprite errors (which some people seem to have under normal WinUAE).
Old 13 February 2007, 12:43   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

How the hell does one configure the controllers properly in winuaex?
Old 13 February 2007, 14:29   #12
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

in UAEX it was impossible. WinUAEX however is setup to go fine.

Make sure you have the latest version though.

D-Pad is joystick, Analogue stick is mouse.
Old 13 February 2007, 15:25   #13
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
I tried it out last night and WOW. I was very impressed. Pixel perfect, just what I wanted

Even Project-X looked spot on. hoorah!

Don't suppose you've managed to get Super Stardust running well under WinUAEX have ya? It runs at a decent speed but I've noticed a lot of sprite errors (which some people seem to have under normal WinUAE).
I only have "old" Stardust installed but I'll make a bootable WHDLoad hdf (I hate diskswapping) and try it out later today.
Come to think of it it's mandatory to have it installed anyway.
Old 13 February 2007, 15:33   #14
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
How the hell does one configure the controllers properly in winuaex?
You need to select which buttons you want to use first (eg. CD32 controller buttons) and after you've done that you must assign the buttons to which ever button on the Xbox controller you want to use (Left Trigger could be assigned as Rewind on a CD32 pad).
Infact it's quite similar to how WinUAE deals with custom joy configurations.
Old 13 February 2007, 16:30   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Retroplay, do you use whdload to setup your hdfs?

I created a few a while back just to get my brother off my case and because there were only a few I just slapped the kickstarts/whdload.key on each hdf.

Wondered if you had a 'central' hdf with all of the necessary gumph in it and a standard startup-sequence?
Old 13 February 2007, 17:23   #16
monomaniacpat

I was using the ADF files fine a couple of days ago, but suddenly none of them (except some coverdisk files) are working. I've tried a few different configs - A500, A500+, A1200 - and all of them just go straight to the insert diskette screen. What am I doing wrong?

I'm particularly trying to get Exile to work (one I grabbed from the Zone). The only thing I remember changing in the last couple of days is that I changed the default directory for ADFs (It calls it "Default ROM directory". I had earlier put them in the roms folder until I realised that was quite different from normal emulators and moved them to "Amiga Disks".

EDIT: Just changed the default ROM dir back to "Roms" and re-copied the game there and now it's working. Wtf? Why would it matter? I'd much rather use the disks folder, as the roms one is all cluttered... :?

Last edited by monomaniacpat; 13 February 2007 at 17:34.

Old 13 February 2007, 18:10   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

It'd probably be because WinUAEX saves the config for each and every game seperately, so if you originally played a game with the disk image in ROMS, once you move the disk image, it'll still be looking for it in ROMS and not find it. You'd have to go through and delete all configs for each and every game.
Old 13 February 2007, 19:02   #18
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Retroplay, do you use whdload to setup your hdfs?

I created a few a while back just to get my brother off my case and because there were only a few I just slapped the kickstarts/whdload.key on each hdf.

Wondered if you had a 'central' hdf with all of the necessary gumph in it and a standard startup-sequence?
Yeah I have a standard ready-to-go hdf I use, but Super Stardust was just too big to fit on it.
Startup-sequence is not altered but I have Edword Pro installed for a quick edit.
Speaking of Super Stardust, I think it's an issue with the 0.8.27 core of WinUAE that's causing the garbled graphics I'm afraid.
Have you noticed that if you boot Workbench from a hdf/folder in WinUAEX it still detects a disk in DF0 as DF0:???? even when there's no disk inserted?
It's really bothering me because it is affecting some WHDLoad games such as Jaguar XJ220 and Agony.
It's impossible to save progress in XJ220 and highscores are not saved in Agony.
I did mention it at XPort's board at Xboxscene, but apparently he's not doing anything to fix it.
Oh well I'll just have to live with it.

[edit]
I just posted a little reminder at XPort's board regarding the hdf issue.

Last edited by Retroplay; 13 February 2007 at 19:22.
Old 13 February 2007, 19:22   #19
monomaniacpat

Quote:
It'd probably be because WinUAEX saves the config for each and every game seperately, so if you originally played a game with the disk image in ROMS, once you move the disk image, it'll still be looking for it in ROMS and not find it. You'd have to go through and delete all configs for each and every game.
OK, that makes sense. What is the name/extension of these config files?

I've looked in the config dir and there is for example A1200.uae and something called Default and AGA.

Old 13 February 2007, 19:58   #20
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

They are located on E:\SAVES\AMIGA\
There should be a folder for each game you have played containing configs.
AdSense AdSense