English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 February 2007, 22:05   #41
Olecranon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legerdemain
Well, the only problem is that one has to deal with pixel-aspect-ratio-errors as long as one isn't outputting the screens native resolution. So, either you will get a somewhat blurred picture (or if running via digial input, sharp picture which just looks plain crap). What is there to bother about? some might say, but I am really bothered. The only time I feel its perfect to use TFT/Plasma is when running in that certain screens native resolution... everything else doesn't simply cut it for me (that is also why i prefer CRT-HDTV's instead of Plasma/TFT HDTV's, the CRT-HDTV's do look great even when running lower resolutions than the screens native resolution).
This used to be a problem in the past, but almost all current LCD/PLASMA HDTV's will automatically upconvert any incoming signal to it's native resolution. My DVD player outputs 480i and my panasonic plasma upconverts to 720p. If I feed my HDTV a 1080i/1080p signal, it gets downconverted to 720p. It looks fantastic either way.

Now computer monitors are a different story. They don't upconvert (or downconvert) to their native resolution so you do end up with those blurry edges and blocky looking text because of the aspect ratio issues.

I would like to see two different products.

1) a real flicker fixer/scandoubler to connect an Amiga to computer monitor. I guess I dont care if the input is scart, I can try to find the connector and make a 23pin to scart cable. Or maybe offer one in with the flicker fixer if your really determined to make the input a scart connector. I personally dont see much use in going out of the way making this work for console gaming systems. A DB9 input would be just fine, or just make it plug into the DB23 pin amiga RGB port. It's gotta come out of there at some point.

2) A box that creates a clean 15kHz video signal to connect to modern HDTV's. Amiga RGB in to component out would be excellent, but even S-VIDEO would be helpful.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 February 2007, 08:04   #42
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olecranon
Amiga RGB in to component out would be excellent, but even S-VIDEO would be helpful.
You can easily hack A520 modulator for s-video, it gives really sharp picture, only saturated red colors have small ghost edges. But for that cost ...
Old 12 February 2007, 15:37   #43
Olecranon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
You can easily hack A520 modulator for s-video, it gives really sharp picture, only saturated red colors have small ghost edges. But for that cost ...
I've seen some instructions on how to do that, but they were for PAL A520's. Are there instructions for the NTSC versions? Or are the instructions identical?

While S-Video would be ok, component output would be best.
Old 12 February 2007, 17:45   #44
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
unfortunately its only for pal, as ntsc version didnt work, even with properly jumpered signal :/
Old 20 February 2007, 18:58   #45
numb

I'd definitely buy one of these if the price was right. I noticed on amiga hardware (I think), they had one there recently for 120! No way is it worth paying that!

I might even buy two if they were below 100 euro, just in case one of them breaks.
Old 20 February 2007, 21:59   #46
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb
I'd definitely buy one of these if the price was right. I noticed on amiga hardware (I think), they had one there recently for 120! No way is it worth paying that!

I might even buy two if they were below 100 euro, just in case one of them breaks.
My thoughts exactly
Old 21 February 2007, 01:21   #47
Locash

Also TV's that use internal upscalers can suffer from pretty nasty video processing latency when converting i signals. Makes games that require good reaction times a nightmare. Wish i had seen this thread before i shelled out for my XRGB2 :/
Old 21 February 2007, 10:28   #48
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Erm, the only latency I can imagine would only ever be 2 * 50'ths of a second (In order to de-interlace you need to buffer approximately 1.5 fields). Almost impercievable to the human eye / hand. Should have no impact on gameplay.

Is the XRGB2 really bad?
Old 21 February 2007, 11:18   #49
Locash

Heya Alex, the XRGB is an excellent peice of kit just expensive. I would rather a more cost effective solition had been about. Also my TV suffers from about 220ms of video lag on processing an i signal. Upscaling reduced it to about 20ms.
AdSense AdSense