English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 December 2006, 12:05   #21
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Send a message via ICQ to girv Send a message via AIM to girv Send a message via MSN to girv Send a message via Yahoo to girv
After a bit of research (ie: Reading TFM ), I find that the timeout option is actually just a command line parameter and it can't (I think - Wepl?) be controlled from within the slave itself. Oh well Any feature like this would have to be coded into each slave individually.

Twizzle makes a good point about getting something you didn't have before, whether it be simply loading from hard drive, compatibility with their machine, bugfixes or added features such as high score saving etc.. It's entirely reasonable to expect folk to pay (what is after all a small, one-time amount) for what they're getting and to restrict the features available to those who haven't paid.

I think EmuChicken in right in saying that adding restrictions that modify the game logic is a risk to the registered users' full functionality, and I also think probably not worth it. Restrictions that just affect slave functions (such as disabling trainers or high score / game saving) are much less risky.

Just for the record, it's important to me personally to (ahem) encourage users to register WHDLoad as I like to think it keeps Wepl motivated to keep working on the project. TBH if it wasn't for WHDLoad I would probably have left the Amiga behind by now and be wasting time writing Windows or Java games instead.

I still like that timeout option though. What's the feeling on the time limit, gang? 15 minutes then quitsville?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 December 2006, 12:13   #22
keropi

yeah, whdload demo slaves are fine, don't cripple them much!
if Wepl wanted he would cripple with time limits the whdload executable...
Old 13 December 2006, 12:52   #23
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

On certain high quality games that may have taken a bit more effort to do, I restrict unregistered users. In fact Dragons Breath gives you the impression that you're going to get to play, and then dumps you out before the game.

Its the only game that I've done this on because of all the effort it took to get it running under WHDLoad.

Most other good games, I simply remove savegame support.

If its a shit game, then frankly, I think everyone should be punished by being able to play it!!!
Old 13 December 2006, 12:56   #24
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
If its a shit game, then frankly, I think everyone should be punished by being able to play it!!!
Awesome. And there REALLY are some shockers. I'm slowly finding out just how many! I'd never played Defenders Of The Earth until yesterday. It's not very good. (But the embarrassing thing is, it's by no means the worst )
Old 13 December 2006, 15:00   #25
girv
Reticulator of Splines

Send a message via ICQ to girv Send a message via AIM to girv Send a message via MSN to girv Send a message via Yahoo to girv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
If a game is really really bad, perhaps you should disable the quit key for unregistered users
Old 13 December 2006, 15:02   #26
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
didnt whdload and/or jst have 10 mins playtime in the early unregged versions ? maybe around version 3,4 . I might be wrong, but im sure that was one of the annoyancies long ago
Old 13 December 2006, 16:04   #27
vroom6sri

I registered WHDload just because I was so impressed with the Program! But does this mean the few JST equipped games are registered to or is that a completely unrestricted piece of freeware?
Old 16 December 2006, 15:38   #28
EmuChicken

Quote:
Awesome. And there REALLY are some shockers. I'm slowly finding out just how many! I'd never played Defenders Of The Earth until yesterday. It's not very good. (But the embarrassing thing is, it's by no means the worst
Probably cos it was a crappy port from an 8-bit machine... I remembered playing this on an Amstrad CPC 464 :P ... it was ... ok , I guess

Now I'll remind everyone of a great game followed by a naff sequel... THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE! ... 1 is great, 2 sucks ass!
AdSense AdSense