English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 December 2006, 22:37   #41
mrbob2

Personally i think the saviour of the ps3 is to be able to play spectrum 48/128 games. Imagine, a back catalogue of 1000s of great games! in 1986 it would have been a dream, 2007 is time to turn this into a reality!........................................
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 December 2006, 22:43   #42
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

i admit it will be interesting to see how the emulation scene develops on th xb360 and ps3 - opinions people?
Old 08 December 2006, 22:46   #43
mrbob2

I think it depends on the age of the gamer. im 30 and retro to me means speccy/c64/amiga and at the latest snes/megadrive.... most gamers of a younger age will see retro as playstation/dremcast/n64/saturn so depends on whats available....................
Old 09 December 2006, 01:53   #44
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad
i admit it will be interesting to see how the emulation scene develops on th xb360 and ps3 - opinions people?
Once the 360 is chipped it'll be a great emulation platform just like the original X-Box
Old 09 December 2006, 03:07   #45
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@p-j

Agreed, it will make a fine retro and emu machine, and a lot cheaper than the PS3....

only problem is doubt many will chip thier 300 xbox360.... still....
Old 09 December 2006, 03:21   #46
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
Once the 360 is chipped it'll be a great emulation platform just like the original X-Box
Yup, let's hope so

... so far the Xbox has been by far the most diverse console in terms of what "other" stuff you can run. Sure it takes a bit of exploring but at least you have options.
Old 09 December 2006, 03:33   #47
superBuster
superFreak

Send a message via AIM to superBuster
To me it's not a question *should* we run amiga OS on PS3, it's WHO and HOW will that happen! I said before we can talk about porting OS4 to a vaccum cleaner, it not ours to port, it amiga.inc's, and I doubt they can do it....(retardation issues, not the developers!! the managment)... what we can port is UAE or maybe sway the morphOS guys to give us a port, a good time to ask since no more pegs will be made! It will be easy to port UAE to xbox360 (sinse it a pc's mostly) , but the ps3 has the CELL.... and some serious GFX power. Some ask what if it's short lived? well, I don't think so, stony plans a 10 year life cycle.. it has not even begun. Overall from a practical perspective it's still not the best platform as you want cheap and availabe *NON* proproatary hardware, IF we have learned anything from Commodore, Apple, SUN and SGI..... in other words we can put a ton of effort into the PS3 and Stony can shut us down later! Another import note is that we (the amiga community) should own the code (open source!) because, well I don't want to get dicked around by some company like amiga inc or even hyperion EVER AGIAN. (having read my own post I think we need to support Aros and other x86 projects!) Another point is the Wii is a very cool machine with out the amiga OS, go get one and try something new..... Come on you already played the hell ot of ever amiga game ever published! Most people that want an Amiga already have 3 of them!
Old 09 December 2006, 12:49   #48
P-J
EAB veteran... Honest!

Send a message via MSN to P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
@p-j

only problem is doubt many will chip thier 300 xbox360.... still....
Definitely, it can be scary when you've forked out a lot! However since I'm not really a fan of modern games the emulators and media centre features are the only reason I'd own a (chipped) X-Box 360 so it's a risk I'd take

Although that said, I guess a PC in a HTPC style case is pretty much the same! Having a close unit with built in joypad, hard disk and TV-out support is nice though
Old 09 December 2006, 14:02   #49
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I have TWO media pc's in my living room.

One is an XP based box (good gaming spec) so playing NFSMW is quite tasty on my tv (housed in a Enlight Media PC case *looks yummy*) and the other is in a Micro case (original Tiny chasis)

the other is a juiced up DOS box that plays all the old sckool games that i love like the wing commander saga ... ahhhh such yummyness..... might need to drop the cpu in it though.... (i mannaged to get full DOS support running on a 1.4ghz DDR athlon.. .... its a little quick... but its wholesome for when i play Quake on my TV )
Old 15 December 2009, 12:11   #50
Tzimisce

i know it's not OS4 and i'm posting on a old thread but... just check this:

Of course at the present day you need to have an old non slim PS3 for running it.

AdSense AdSense