English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 May 2001, 09:58   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

CD 32.....on WinUae??

Cd32...is it possible to play Cd32 games on WinUae ?? Please someone let me know...
Do I need WB?? Which kickrom?? 3.1 ok??
HELP!!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 May 2001, 10:46   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

CD32

I've had some running on an A1200 config, by booting directly from the CD. Others don't work.
Old 03 May 2001, 16:38   #3
Malc
Zone Friend

Dont hold me to this but apparently it has something to do with the graphics core in current emulators. You will notice that a large bulk of CD32 games such as Bubba N Stix or Chaos Engine will fail to boot and if you dig deeper it is looking for a newer version of the Graphics.Library.

This problem may be fixed in the future.
Old 08 May 2001, 12:22   #4
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

CD32 Emu

You will find a CD32 emulator, for use in WinUAE at this web site, http://phobos.spaceports.com/~sfa/index_final.html you will have to pay $15 to use the actual emu though, about 8 I also don't know if it works or not, as I don't have any money to pay for stuff
Old 27 July 2001, 19:42   #5
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

poor bitch:laugh
Old 27 July 2001, 20:32   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Let me get this straight, Ian....you say you don't have the 8 to register this CD32 emu. Yet I'll bet you spend money on food every week (hell, maybe even every day!) And I would guess that maybe you even pay your rent and utilities bills? Face it, you're just a leech!

Old 27 July 2001, 21:30   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh :laugh
Old 27 July 2001, 23:01   #8
Akira

YEAH, starve for a week and buy the BLOODY EMULATOR!
Old 27 July 2001, 23:42   #9
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

Stick out tongue Well Excuuuuusssse Me

Why in the h**l would I want to pay for an emulator for a machine I once owned, but had to sell a month later due to ALL the games being gash I ask you??

My lack of money comment was obviously a joke (See laughing smiley) as you should all know by now ...... I'm LOADED

Anyway if you check the site I linked to, he has altered the latest WinUAE source to alledgedly emulate the CD32 anyway, maybe Cody you could try it with some of your CD's??

It's found right at the bottom of his download's section I think
Old 28 July 2001, 00:39   #10
Akira

Of course, I was joking as well. And if you are loaded, you could buy me a CD32, oui? \

Now hold on. He modified WinUAE, and sells it? That's a frigging crime!

Ah no, he doesnt't :P
Old 28 July 2001, 23:53   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
I've had some running on an A1200 config, by booting directly from the CD. Others don't work.
Could you tell me HOW you accomplished this?

I've always believed that it's an emulator problem (you cannot mount CD0: as you require to if you actually *boot* a CD in WinUAE).
Old 29 July 2001, 00:51   #12
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

I assume you do this ...

... Add your PC drives at startup when booting with kickstart 3.0 or higher and just as the screen changes colour (Different shades of grey) press both mouse buttons in, you should get the Amiga Pre boot options (Or whatever it's called) on of the sections allows you the option of changing which drive you want to boot from, this "Should" allow you to select CD0:

I don't know for sure that this is how Cody does it, but it should work
Old 30 July 2001, 12:56   #13
Amigaboy

If you want to boot CD32 games through WinUAE (it won't always work though since some hit the hardware), all you have to do is your PC CD drive as the main hard disk.

Since CD32 games are exactly the same as hard disks (startup-sequence, bootblock, etc), the emulator will think it's a hard disk and boot from it

Remember. It doesn't work all the time, but works alot.

Old 30 July 2001, 14:37   #14
XoreX

How can I set the PC CD drive as the main hard disk?
Until now I hat only success with 1 iso. I used Deamon Tools to create a virtual CD drive. Then I mounted Yankee Team iso (CDTV). Then I added PCI drives in UEA setup and there it was.
But is it realy so hard to play this CD32 games? I'm trying now for a long time to play Litil Divil and it seems there is now way I could do this (OK, only this NewInstallerKit for witch you have to pay for and I dont even now if it works). And there is also no HD installer for this and many other cd32 games...
Old 30 July 2001, 14:58   #15
Amigaboy

Make sure you're running the following settings

2mb chip ram
Kickstart 3.1 ROM
68020 CPU
AGA Chipset

1) Insert the CD32 game into your PC CD-ROM
2) Click Add Directory
3) Make the volume name whatever the CD is called (In my case, I'm using Defender Of The Crown 2 which has the volume name Defender_2)
4) Choose the path to your CD-ROM
5) Turn OFF read/write
6) Start up the emulation

It might not work for Little Devil, but you won't know unless you try

Old 31 July 2001, 07:15   #16
XoreX

Ok, thanks for the tip. Didnt work wit Litil Divil (screen was just went black and flipping) but I gona try it on some other isos to.
Old 31 July 2001, 15:56   #17
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

cd32 emulation tips

The main difference with emulating a cd32 is the fact that the cd32 had a special chip i think for throwing images from the cd quickly. If i remember right this was called a planar chip. Luckily most cd32 games don't use this chip. The only one that comes to mind is microcosm. Some of the cd32 emulators on the 1200 sort out the planar chip problem.

However most games don't use it, on winuae i used to use a little program called fakeboot, which allowed you to boot from any drive. This made it possible to play 98% of cd32 stuff without any problem. Booting to workbench is one of the things that messes things up because memory is used doing this and some games are very tight on it.

All i can say is nearly every cd32 game does work on winuae with just a couple of exceptions.

Can't remember if cd32 used wb3.0 or 3.1 now, this might make some difference on a couple of games.
Old 31 July 2001, 16:24   #18
Amigaboy

The CD32 had a kickstart 3.1 chip

The special chip which is only in the CD32 is called Akiko

Old 31 July 2001, 20:07   #19
Akira

Wing Commander used Akiko (planar-to-chunky conversor chip, for 3D shiznit methinks) as well
Old 01 August 2001, 11:12   #20
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
All i can say is nearly every cd32 game does work on winuae with just a couple of exceptions.
Let's put it this way: "working" and "working" are two completely different things. You *can* configure WinUAE to make Flink [CD32] "work", but because of the lack of emulation of the CD32 joypad in WinUAE you cannot play the game AT ALL. Yes, there's a hack somewhere but I couldn't get it to work properly in WinUAE.
If a CD32 game uses FULL joypad with no alternative control and you don't get your joypad *emulator* compatible with the game, you're screwed in any case. So being able to load a CD32 game, what's it good for if you cannot *control* it?
Maybe some kind soul will once implement CD32 joypad emulation into one of the emulators.
AdSense AdSense