English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 December 2001, 04:39   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Petition

There is a new petition to get Amiga Inc. to release some revisions of Kickstart and Workbench for free. It seems like a reasonable cause, so here's the URL. This was passed on to me by a friend, so I am introducing this here...if you have any friends outside of the EAB circle who you think could generate more signatures, please do the same and pass it on to them, as well.

http://www.petitiononline.com/amikick/petition.html

Quote:
To: Amiga Inc

It has been 16 years since the Amiga was released. It has gone through many changes, from its humble beginnings as the A1000, to the machines of today. The number of users fluctuates all the time, but the spirit lives on. Whether you are a current Amiga user or a user from the past, you know the feeling of using a superior machine.

It is now the end of 2001. Many users are re-experiencing the greatness thanks to emulators such as UAE and Fellow, as well as those of us who are privileged enough to own the real thing. But there has always been a missing piece in the puzzle, the Kickstart ROMs and Workbench disks. It is my belief, as well as that of many others, that those kickstarts and workbench disks that are not being sold anymore should be released free to the public. These include :

1.x Both Kickstart ROM images and Workbench disks
2.x Both Kickstart ROM images and Workbench disks
3.0 Kickstart ROM image and Workbench 3.0 disks

Since the Kickstart 3.1 ROM is still being sold and is the basis of Workbench 3.5 and 3.9, this should remain on sale.

It is for this reason this petition has been created. Many sites provide these images illegally. These items should be made available free to Amigans worldwide.

Sincerely,
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 December 2001, 17:30   #2
RCK
Administrator

// previous posts deleted, stay on topic all

Hey I've got the signature number 99 !
I'm happy as it is my favourite number
(Captain harlock, Gunnm, ...)
Old 12 December 2001, 19:12   #3
P-J
Grumpy veteran

Send a message via MSN to P-J
I like these things. They may not carry any legal weight (or baggage, depending on how you look at it), but since the community (net-wise) is so great, and it only takes less than a minute to put your name down, I can't see any reason not to do these, even if the outcome is ignored.
Old 13 December 2001, 21:26   #4
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
i've signed...

i hope all that visit here do

and i'll post a link at my site!!
Old 14 December 2001, 00:31   #5
MethodGit

I signed it yesterday - hope our signatures truly make a difference in the treatment of the Kickstart roms in the future.
Old 14 December 2001, 00:47   #6
RCK
Administrator

In my opinion, people should sign with their real name and not nickname.
I don't think that nickname have such power in real life.
Old 14 December 2001, 01:10   #7
Ian
HIGH FIVE!!

I've signed (Real name of course), no. 202 in the list
Old 14 December 2001, 01:30   #8
Jambo
Yarr!

Location: n. A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Interesting....
Old 14 December 2001, 02:02   #9
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK
In my opinion, people should sign with their real name and not nickname.
I don't think that nickname have such power in real life.
Oh dear, I did sign with my nickname.... should I sign it again, this time under my real name? (I'm at no. 109 atm.)
Old 14 December 2001, 02:49   #10
Korodny
Zone Friend

Hm. That petition is a good idea, but Amiga Inc. will *never* make AmigaOS 3.0 available
for free, for two reasons:

1. MorphOS (a PPC AmigaOS clone that will compete with AmigaOS4) requires AmigaOS 3.x to run.
As long as OS 3.x is not available for free, they can stop MorphOS developers from selling
their OS. This point is quite important for Amiga Inc. and especially for the contractors doing
OS4.

2. Cloanto is paying licensing fees for 3.x KickROMs. and Amiga Inc. is quite happy about that.

If this petition still says "OS 1.x, 2.x and 3.0" when it is presented to Amiga Inc., you can
forget about it

Somebody should tell the guys behind that petition that they should stick with OS 1.x (2.x is
absolutely useless for retro-gaming (right?), and there's no chance that 3.x will be made
available).

But still chances would be very slim (as OS 1.3 still generates money (to a lesser extent).
Old 14 December 2001, 16:54   #11
TikTok

On the other hand, Kickstart 3.x is required for AGA support, so it does have some uses for retrogaming...although some people might not consider AGA games as "classics" I guess.

Kickstart 2.0 is required for ECS, and there are a couple of games which require ECS, and won't run on OCS. Can't think of the titles at the moment, but there are a few.
Old 14 December 2001, 18:13   #12
birdy-scc
Banned

I don't sign anything. But maybe if that letter didn't sound so much like demands I might consider it.

The company is being asked to give something it owns to the public domain, so demanding that "These items should be made available free to Amigans worldwide. " is not going to work.

As P-J said, it only takes a minute to do, and this is also part of the problem. If it doesn't take any effort to say or do something, then where's the value?

If every person went to the bother of actually WRITING a letter and posting it to Amiga Inc they might take a bit more notice. But this means actually doing something, and from personal experience I'd say that of the 200+ names on that list only maybe 10% would bother.

In case you think I'm being negative for the sake of it, you're wrong. I worked within the corporate environment (oil industry) and these people are ALL THE SAME. They have no empathy, and will only be swayed by possible negative effects to their business.

If you got the backing of some media there might be a chance, but until then I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 14 December 2001, 22:10   #13
Korodny
Zone Friend

@s4amurai:

Calm down, I already signed it

@TikTok:

I didn't say that 3.0 is useless for retrogaming, I just said that I know it won't be made
freely available. And I'm not guessing here...

@birdy:

Getting the backing of some media shouldn't be a problem, once they collected enough signatures.
Should be easy to get some computer-related news-service interested.
Old 15 December 2001, 00:30   #14
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
i've dug out a cd i totally forgot about, Gremlin Classix, released by emulators unlimited, purchased from HMV (long time ago)...

what i didn't know at the time is the cd had the kick.rom file, used with fellow....

mmm, did amiga inc know? did HMV know? did anyone CARE?

maybe they bought a license, but i doubt it, it seems as though you can produce an Amiga Collection, supply the kick.rom and release through retailers and nobody gives two shits, but if you give it away free online you'll get closed down!

as there are alot of old games companies, making their old wares available to download (FREE) maybe Amiga Inc, could release their kick 1.x as they too do not supply computers with that kickstart!

i agree with birdy, signing an online petition is not enough! normally a petition consists of thousands and thousands of names, i doubt our "fairly cult" scene could generate enough media attraction!

but bollocks, i signed anyway, a little is better than nothing!!!
Old 15 December 2001, 16:44   #15
birdy-scc
Banned

I've spent more time describing why I WON'T sign than it would have actually taken!

Why? Because more notice will be taken of this reply than will taken of that petition. And that's saying something...

Old 15 December 2001, 20:24   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

D Jay, please check the Gremlin CD..is there a game called "Night Raider" on it? many of us have been looking for this game!
Old 18 December 2001, 21:00   #17
Andrew

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew
I've signed

Sounds like a good idea to me, as long as it doesn't cost Amiga inc. too much cause I wouldn't want them to loose money or anything. Would it mean I could get a copy of Workbench 1.3 for free?
AdSense AdSense