English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 December 2001, 15:33   #21
Paul
RIP Friends

Instead of Creating a HDF with WB1.3, why don't you use a directory instead?

It works with no problems for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wb1.3.png
Views:	508
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1542  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 December 2001, 08:54   #22
Exodus

andreas, I used your disk (the wb13_booter2_uae) and your hard disk. And I used Kick 1.3 the whole time. I guess nothing works for me.

P.S. Did you have a similar problem with some Amiga fans.
Old 22 December 2001, 09:19   #23
Exodus

Paul, if you're saying that I should add my PC harddrives at startup and making a directory from there, I'll give it a shot and tell you whether it works or not. So far, it looks promising.

I have one hard drive that is split up into two partitions (C: and D and the good thing about WB1.3 is that it detects both of them.

When I open up a shell and try to access the D: partition, it access it, but when I access the C: partition, it says can't open WinDH_C:: object is not of required type. What the hell does this mean?
Old 22 December 2001, 09:52   #24
oldpx

Hmm you will have to format C: under workbench, now go to the tools menu and select "format disk", it will ask you if you are nuts or not. Say yes. Hey, only joking

As I said at the thread you linked:
"You can have an auto-booting 1.3 by copying the contents of your workbench disk into a directory and setting it as your DH0: drive. You may need to modify your startup-sequence to do this."

A lot less pain isn't it?

It's not about adding pc drives at startup, it's about setting a directory as a hard drive root. Instead of selecting "Add Hardfile", Select "Add Directory" I mean.

Old 24 December 2001, 03:00   #25
Exodus

I managed to create a directory with a volume name of DH0, then copied the contents of my Workbench disk in there. When I boot my directory up, it says Pure bit not set eight times. What does that mean? Is this supposed to happen?

I went into the startup-sequence file and noticed two lines:

Resident > NIL: C: Assign PURE
Resident > NIL: C: Execute PURE

So, shouldn't this error be reported twice, not eight times.

I try deleting the PURE bits off those lines and here's what happens (It tells me at the end "Please insert volume ENV: in any drive: but the ENV drawer is included in my directory.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.gif
Views:	474
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	1547  
Old 24 December 2001, 03:09   #26
oldpx

This should work:

c:SetPatch >NIL: r ;patch system functions
Addbuffers df0: 10
cd c:
echo "Amiga Workbench Disk. Release 1.3.3 version 34.34"
Sys:System/FastMemFirst ; move C00000 memory to last in list
BindDrivers
assign sys: dh0:
assign c: SYS:c
assign L: SYS:l
assign FONTS: SYS:fonts
assign s: SYS:s
assign DEVS: SYS:devs
assign LIBS: SYS:libs
mount newcon:
LoadWB
endcli >NIL:

Old 24 December 2001, 03:12   #27
oldpx

The file is also in the zone now

Old 24 December 2001, 03:12   #28
Exodus

A couple of things I forgot to mention:

1. Even though the Pure bit not set message appears, it loads up WB anyway and shows the directory I created. What will happen if this error appears anyway?

2. The "Please insert volume ENV: in any drive" only shows up after Bad args appears. When I click Cancel , it responds with Can't set Languages. The latter applies with the next two lines.
Old 24 December 2001, 03:20   #29
oldpx

ưn my experiences, these messages don't effect anything. I've actually solved the logic behind it and wrote this thing but it was months ago and I don't remember about it. All I remember is the default script calls another script named startupII and I've merged it into the startup-sequence (I hate to write this thing ) disabling the parts that cause problems.

Old 24 December 2001, 06:43   #30
Exodus

Thanks Burseg. The script worked. I am not very good at editing scripts but I'll learn someday how to tackle them. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Why would Commodore used the startup-sequence to call another script file. It would be easier if they would've combined the two scripts in the one file, rather than calling another script file. It would probably saved a lot of disk space, depending on the file size of the commands that were to be run.
Old 24 December 2001, 09:42   #31
oldpx

Glad to help.It's just a text file it doesn't occupy much space. Maybe startupII was intended to be modified by the user and startup--sequence not. Just like the user-startup on newer amigas with hard drives.

Old 24 December 2001, 13:45   #32
TikTok

Incidently, the reason you get the error about the Pure bit is not (I believe) directly because of those lines in the startup-sequence. It is because when using a PC directory as a HD, you cannot represent all attributes of Amiga files (Read, Write, Delete, Execute, Pure, Archive).
Old 26 December 2001, 12:14   #33
Exodus

Thanks for the info. What does PURE attibute do?
Old 26 December 2001, 14:58   #34
TikTok

My Workbench manual just says that a file's pure bit means the file can be made resident (as you are doing in your examples).

Making a command resident means it lives in memory so that you don't need it's disk when you run the command. What exactly the PURE switch on the resident command is for, I don't know. It is certainly not essential to use the command .
Old 27 December 2001, 22:35   #35
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Purpose of the 'pure' option and the p (pure) bit

Yes, but it's not essential under a certain condition: if the pure bit is actually set!

Try this:
REMOVE the pure bit of the makedir command to do some experiments with it:

1>protect c:makedir p sub

and now try a

1>resident c:makedir PURE
Pure bit not set

You get the error message, but note that the command is now resident anyway! Look:

1>resident

Name..........UseCount
-------......-------------
makedir.................0

Remove the command from the resident list again:

1>resident c:makedir remove

and make it resident again, this time with NEITHER the pure option NOR the pure bit (which we removed above).

1>resident c:makedir
Pure bit not set
Cannot load c:makedir

That's the difference!
The command has NOT been made resident this time because we didn't set the pure option!

now set the PURE bit again:

1>protect c:makedir p add

and do a

1>resident c:makedir

WITHOUT the pure option! It actually works!
See? The 'pure' option IS unneccessary and can be omitted, on condition that the pure bit has been set before. If you didn't set the pure bit, you MUST set the 'pure' option to make the command resident by force! However, you will still get an awkward "error" message like the above one!

Last edited by andreas; 27 January 2003 at 19:37.
Old 27 December 2001, 23:04   #36
TikTok

Thanks for the explanation . You're right, the error messages are very awkward.
Old 09 February 2002, 01:27   #37
Chuckles
The Ancient One

For the benefit of those who may still be curious about this, I seem to recall a bit more detail about what the purpose of the "pure bit" was for executable files, and how that related to the use of the "resident" command.

The purpose of "resident" is, as mentioned earlier in this thread, to cause the target executable to be loaded into the Amiga's memory AND to cause any subsequent execution of that executable to load the program directly from memory, instead of looking for it in your path. This would have the effect of speeding up boot times for commands that may be called numerous times during bootup. It also was handy for folks who spent much time working in a shell window, especially for those without hard drives - something I remember rather painfully.

For all of this to work, the executable code has to abide by certain rules though. Specifically, the program must be 100% relocatable - capable of running from any location in memory (since one never knows where it will end up being placed). If the program was not 100% relocatable but was made resident and executed from memory, the most likely result would be that the Amiga would crash when it hit some portion of the code which did not conform. The function of the "pure bit" was to flag the executable file as being one that does conform to this standard.

The fact that the resident command checks the pure bit and complains if it isn't set is simply a precaution intended to keep people from inadvertently crashing their machines by making things resident that shouldn't be resident. While the resident command can make a command resident even without the pure bit being set, that won't guarantee that the command will work when it is made resident and then executed. That all depends on the command.

I don't know if this is of any real interest to anyone but when I read this thread, my lone remaining brain synapse fired, and that happens so infrequently now that I just HAD to document it.
Old 09 February 2002, 01:55   #38
jmmijo

As a side note, I seem to recall that a resident program was also smaller once loaded into ram rather then loaded from the path
Old 11 February 2002, 11:45   #39
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
Don't get me wrong as I am not as intelligent as all of you seem when it comes to this matter, but if it helps I wrote a "Beginners Guide" to creating a HDF file using WinUae and installing Workbench on it.

The URL to download this is:

http://cpc464.back2roots.org/page04.htm

Hope this is of some help
Old 11 February 2002, 22:34   #40
jmmijo

Good job CPC I'll d/l for my own archives.
AdSense AdSense