English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 October 2006, 09:04   #81
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Getting back to the topic somewhat, I have to ask a simple question: Asuming Amiga , Inc was for sale at the cost of $1 US what could you realy produce that would get people (other then diehard buy anything with an Amiga sticker on it) to purchase new Amiga hardware/software and also get developers to support it in any meaningfull way?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 October 2006, 09:19   #82
shillard

Another good question, expect a solid and coherent answer after the temperature in hell drops below zero.
Old 29 October 2006, 09:20   #83
snowman040

@unknown: I doubt you'll get the answer you're looking

@shillard: shut up, please.
Old 29 October 2006, 09:38   #84
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Just read this thread.
Some interesting points of view, from the Amiga hopeful to the absolute cynic.
It could have been a good thread had the bad feeling that pervades every other post been avoided!

@Shillard, you make some strong arguments, however your acidic and nasty tone causes the point to be totally lost. Are you really that angry, or are your posts intentionally inflammatory?
Old 29 October 2006, 09:58   #85
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
Getting back to the topic somewhat, I have to ask a simple question: Asuming Amiga , Inc was for sale at the cost of $1 US what could you realy produce that would get people (other then diehard buy anything with an Amiga sticker on it) to purchase new Amiga hardware/software and also get developers to support it in any meaningfull way?
Why the fuck would anyone of the major, medium, minor, or even niche developers for the current big 4 platforms (MS, Apple, Linux, Sun) bloody bother with a miniscule market of what, 30,000-40,000 worldwide users? Otherwise the fanatics would be the only market. A dead, moribund, platform is junk.
Old 29 October 2006, 13:16   #86
snowman040

Your perception of "dead, moribund, platform" is junk. Pushing AmigaOS as holy grail of IT industry is what made Amiga what it is today - dead.
Old 29 October 2006, 20:44   #87
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman040
Your perception of "dead, moribund, platform" is junk. Pushing AmigaOS as holy grail of IT industry is what made Amiga what it is today - dead.
Uh..so you basically agree with what I said....

weirdo.
Old 29 October 2006, 20:50   #88
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
Why the fuck would anyone of the major, medium, minor, or even niche developers for the current big 4 platforms (MS, Apple, Linux, Sun) bloody bother with a miniscule market of what, 30,000-40,000 worldwide users? Otherwise the fanatics would be the only market. A dead, moribund, platform is junk.
I doubt the Amiga has got 30 to 40 thousand users left. 2 to 3 to 4 thousand is more like it.

But it's telling that this thread immideately ended up in "AmigaWorld.Net" state: A couple of guys who never even owned an Amiga in '89, know nothing about software programming and nothing about hardware architecture, wondering what could be possible if something were possible by something impossible happening to happen.

This is pretty much the last constituency left to the "Amiga", i put it in quotes because it's not really an "Amiga", it's just another low quality PPC clone, dongled, and emulating a dead 68k platform - funny, because its a dead desktop platform (PPC) emulationg another dead home platform (68000) - and they really aren't more than 2 to 3 thousand. If that many, to be fully honest.

I think they're pretty hilarious, in 1994 they were shrieking "Two more weeks", in 1998 they were shrieking "Two more weeks", in 2002 they were shrieking "Two more weeks", and in 2006, 12 years later, here they are, still making a public sad spectacle of their selves in front of the whole wide world.

So, now, if Amiga Inc. cost 25 cents, Microsoft went into the rubber making business, and Apple just gave up on OS making go for ipods only, and Saturn happened to be in perfect alignement with Jupiter, the Moon, and the Earth, while a race of crazy butt monkeys was found on mars, i happened to code anything more than AMOS and "Hello World!" Perl scripts, PPC didn't happen to be a dying desktop platform itself, and everything that was true was a lie; could we have a major Amiga comeback or what guys?!?!?!?

I don't know about you guys, but i'm pumped: This is it! ::insert dancing banana::

Two more weeks!
Old 29 October 2006, 21:04   #89
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI
Just read this thread.
Some interesting points of view, from the Amiga hopeful to the absolute cynic.
For some uncanny reason, you seem to confuse Deluded with Hopeful, and Cynic with Lucid.

Quote:
It could have been a good thread had the bad feeling that pervades every other post been avoided!
It would've. If the common Amiga Inc Evangelists hadn't dropped in. Insulted everyone. Disparaged every infidel. Shaken they scimitars at every logical thought that might deny the plausability of their peculiar religion.

Quote:
@Shillard, you make some strong arguments, however your acidic and nasty tone causes the point to be totally lost. Are you really that angry, or are your posts intentionally inflammatory?
I'm pretty much guessing it was the small passing detail that he was insulted, told to shut up, derided, and verbally harassed by the our local version of an Amiga Pat Robertson. For some reason those posts seemed to escape beneath your view of them. I guess the mods turned their face the other away momentarily as well.
Old 29 October 2006, 21:09   #90
snowman040

Quote:

weirdo.
Basically we all agree, it's just how general you look at things . I say that Amiga (as a company and platform) has a future, but Amiga OS is not that important as community thinks. Another AmigaOS episode would be just waste od time and money for Amiga inc, or DFX, or whoever.
Old 29 October 2006, 21:12   #91
Ultron
Something

Quote:

weirdo.
Yes. That was pure gold. "The Amiga isn't dead, because the Amiga is dead!"

Priceless
Old 29 October 2006, 21:35   #92
snowman040

being dead in this case has it's good sides ...
Old 29 October 2006, 21:41   #93
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Basically we all agree, it's just how general you look at things . I say that Amiga (as a company and platform) has a future, but Amiga OS is not that important as community thinks. Another AmigaOS episode would be just waste od time and money for Amiga inc, or DFX, or whoever.
That's makes sense, I totally agree.

That is, if you are saying the future is only based on wispy and fond recollections of a once great platform.
Old 29 October 2006, 21:54   #94
snowman040

Future can't be based on obsolete and off the shelf hardware and OS that is 'never finished' (I don't care why).

Amiga (company) has long way to go before having Amiga OS as one of it's main products.
Old 29 October 2006, 22:39   #95
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I don't think hardware is obsolete if it has a function that is needed and cannot be reproduced 100% with newer hardware (my a500 is not obsolete when I want to play old Amiga games for example).

But look at OS 4 which is not finished, and runs on hardware that has already been abandoned (Amiga1) with little to no software (maybe a few linux ports people had to beg to get). How exactly could this setup compete with newer cheap x86 commodity hardware and Linux which is FREE and supported by more geeks/coders then anything Amiga related? What market niche is the new PPC/OS4 suposed to fill?
Old 29 October 2006, 23:17   #96
snowman040

It can't compete ... There is however another market approach for Amiga left, I just hope DFX sees it....

p.s. obsolete = A1...
Old 30 October 2006, 02:19   #97
Npl

I guess its already a win if we dont see the brandname abused on low-quality crap ala Commodore.
Amiga & its IP are largely DONE, atleast for the desktop-market. From a hardware POV its senseless to even start investing. If I were to start a new Amiga-like OS I would rather start using AROS and aim at embedded devices. it sure wont compete in the desktop-world, it doesnt matters if x86 or PPC, but it could compare favorably on handhelds/mobile phones, etc which dont have an vast array of existing software.
Old 30 October 2006, 05:48   #98
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
For some uncanny reason, you seem to confuse Deluded with Hopeful, and Cynic with Lucid.

It would've. If the common Amiga Inc Evangelists hadn't dropped in. Insulted everyone. Disparaged every infidel. Shaken they scimitars at every logical thought that might deny the plausability of their peculiar religion.

I'm pretty much guessing it was the small passing detail that he was insulted, told to shut up, derided, and verbally harassed by the our local version of an Amiga Pat Robertson. For some reason those posts seemed to escape beneath your view of them. I guess the mods turned their face the other away momentarily as well.
Very nice. You see, I have a violent aversion to evangelists and fanatics, in all forms. So I appreciate how you said that.
Old 30 October 2006, 07:35   #99
shillard

Quote:
@unknown: I doubt you'll get the answer you're looking

@shillard: shut up, please.
You want the truth?

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Forget it Amiga, it's CHINATOWN!
Old 30 October 2006, 07:43   #100
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
So what im supposed to be to fit into EAB ? a pessimistic, unencouraging, there is no hope and the everything cant happen individual just to appease your mind!?. And insulted everyone!!???.. Listen here mate, go back and check out how these insults started!. I was being civil about this until shilliard had to be a little smartarse. You get what you give in this life.

Yeah im all for logical thought if the person in question is going to discuss it rather than start questioning in the manner of being a prick. It doesnt leave much room for discussion now does it?

If i offer encouragement im an Evangelist ??.. Completely blown out of context, completely exagerated!.

Quote:
Like i said, go back and read how it started, and finish with this holier than thou attitude, and while your at it, stop bending over.

Last edited by blade002; 30 October 2006 at 08:11.
AdSense AdSense